Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Transition to P3Dv4

Given the current state of the add-ons, I think the idea of giving up v3 for v4 is no where near practical at this point. There have been a few comments from people who are avoiding v4 because they'll need additional space to run with both. No getting around that, but by sharing your scenery library (rather than replicating it) and uninstalling aircraft add-ons from v3 that have been released for v4, you can certainly minimize the impact. The incremental disk space v4 has cost me with a dual installation is about 30Gb (not that much for a 930Gb drive).

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

People are just inpatient by nature. Everyone knew v4 was coming and it was going to be 64bit, as RRandazzo said earlier, it was the worst kept secret secret in the community. 

What I don't understand is why people are so stubborn to bring their incompatible add-ons into v4 and then whine that their setup isn't performing, lol. My god.

• Upvote 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 hour ago, jedwards said:

Hello, I have installed P3D v4 and have no problems whatsoever. I have all The Orbx addons that are compatible installed. My fps are better than v3.4, I am very happy with the performance and appearance of P3D v4.

4790K 16Mb ram Asus Maximus Hero Corsair H2, GTX 980 SLI.

exactly, no problems here too, all orbx adons installed and all airport scenery's which are v4 compatible, pmdg ,beaver,cerenado, albeo,tfdi, otter --its great, no v3 packages installed, i am a happy chapie

38 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Personally I have not moved over to v4, I need PMDG NG and FSL A320. Before I buy v4, By then it will have had a patch and hopefully more airports working for v4.

3.4 runs like a dream for me so even though I look forward to using v4, am enjoying the summer and being out and about. Winter for me is when P3D gets a huge amount of use.

Enjoy read people's reports on v4.

+1 -- except I need GTN750 for  my GA aircraft.   Enjoying v3.4 too much to switch (no OOMs, etc) and I will look forward to installing v4 this autumn :biggrin:

WAT1460.png

I am really enjoying the transition to v4 although I must add that I am retired and this is my main hobby.  It's taken a little time to work out the addon approach I want to use but I am almost startled every session at how good it looks.  Late yesterday I made a trip into KIAH Houston on the edge of tropical storm Cindy and I found AS2016 and ASCA did a great job of rendering that mess and then on approach to 08L over an area I've flown over real world many times in the Chancellor I was impressed with out good it looks.  My 6700K and 980Ti are doing a great job with all sliders to the right (except terrain mesh resolution).  I look forward to developers getting up to speed with this new SDK too, there is a lot of capability there.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

One upgrade that I would have loved to see for P3D v4 would be a new 0.6m per pixel photogrpahic scenery of England and Wales. The PlayHorizon scenery is very good, but it has a significant number of flaws with respect to colour saturation in numerous areas. The more I see these, the more I detest them. Scotland and Ireland are far more consistent in terms of overall quality.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

All working fine for me. I am using all ORBX compatible regions and HD trees, A2A Cessna 172 & 182, Cherokee and Comanche - but waited until all compatible, Chase Plane experimental mode, AS for v4 and ASCA and PTA. That's it. 

Performance is excellent. No crashes of any kind. 

My only problem is getting my PFC rudder pedals to calibrate through FSUIPC properly. PFC console works fine with FSUIPC. 

Cheers

Peter

11 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

One upgrade that I would have loved to see for P3D v4 would be a new 0.6m per pixel photographic scenery of England and Wales. The PlayHorizon scenery is reasonably good, but it has a significant number of flaws with respect to colour saturation in numerous areas. The more I see these, the more I detest them. Scotland and Ireland are far more consistent in terms of overall quality.

Dont know of anyone planning to do a uk photoscenery chris, sorry

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I moved to v4 from v3 the week that v4 came out. I have most Orbx regions installed, as well as HD Trees and PTA. I think it is prudent to wait so I am waiting for v4-compliant versions of the PMDG 737, Majestic Dash 8, REX, Captain Sim 737, 757, 767, 777, Active Sky, and others. For my system and setup (i7 4970K, GTX970, 8GB RAM), v4 has noticeably better performance than v3 in an apples to apples comparison. It also looks better doing it. Some of the simscapes that I see are inspiring.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

My P3D v4 kept crashing - it's rubbish.

Oh, that was because I installed various bits of all the NON-COMPATIBLE Carenados throughout the sim.

I've done a fresh install, and it's working just like it was before I put dodgy addons in - stable, smooth and beautiful to look at.

I think a lot of people having problems are trying to run addons that just aren't ready for 64 bit (in some cases, even though the debs have made a new installer).

I trust Orbx, A2A, PMDG and HiFi. Stick to reputable developers who are working hard to keep their products compatible, and you should be just fine.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

BTW Ed, I hear the TDFi 717 open beta is working very well in v4. :biggrin:

Glad to hear that, it's about time, right? :laugh:

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

4 hours ago, king1706 said:

Majority of addons are crashing regardless of vendors saying it is working

Chaseplane ( crash) AS16 crash , Rex texture with softclouds  ( it says compatible) it is not

Hello Amr 

You might have something else going on here in the background that's causing Prepar3D v4 to crash,  I have been running v4 for many months now with several different variations and i have not seen a crash yet,  I have Installed many Add On's Incompatible and compatible and have no Issues.

Have you thought maybe of returning Prepar3D v4 back to a default state,  Launch and test in this default state to insure stability at this early stage,  Then introduce your Add On's back one at a time,  Launch Prepar3D and test then Install the next one,  This way you might Isolate the Issue.

Here are some General Debugging Steps,  Insure you follow the first 7 steps to help narrow down your Issue.  

Also as a process of elimination you could also Update\Reinstall your Graphics Driver Insuring you Tick the box for "Perform a clean Installation" when prompted the Option Or you could use a driver cleaning utility like  Driver Display Uninstaller

Thanks a lot Elaine for the great tips will do that now , you are correct as may have overwhelmed my simulator with lots of addons without testing 

Best Regards 

Hello all,

I actually envy all of you using V4 whether or not you have crashes, ooms or whatever/

I have downloaded P3Dv4 eight times now with all my initial efforts  seeming to be OK. Winrar and Winzip both took in excess of 8 hours to unzip with one effort locked at 0 percent  and a predicted 109 hours to unzip.  I eventually got there though, and started the install. Hmmmm I got to about 2 percent, installing "content" and another lock up. After numerous attempts, my best effort has been about half an inch of green on the install bar before lock up.

I think my problem is the initial download. Here in Indonesia with an alleged, and paid for, 10MB download speed, I am actually achieving a massively rapid maximum download speed of 117kps using IDM,

So, since the day of release, I have thus far been totally and spectacularly unsuccessful with P3Dv4. I am off to Australia in July and may have to wait till then to download at a slightly better and more stable internet speed.

I live in hope.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I find it quite painful to fire up 3.4 in order to use a certain A320. Blurries are virtually absent with version 4 and the experience is so much smoother. How we managed for so long with a 32bit FS sim is mind-boggling. Ignorance is bliss as they say,

good times ahead.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020