Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Transition to P3Dv4

40 minutes ago, sanh said:

Good to know we can keep you entertained :) It's great to see it's working well for many of you but there are still lots of people reporting problems with add-ons etc so for many of us it's just not worth it if we don't have OOMs. New lighting that cuts the FPS in half or further out aurogen are not worth the effort IMHO.

Good grief! Look in any simulator forum and you'll see people having problems. Some people have trouble boiling water. By your logic we'd all still be using Flight Simulator II on a Commodore 64.

I bought and installed P3Dv4 on opening day, and right out of the box I could tell it was better. Not perfect, but better than v3.4. TrackIR5 worked without incident. AS2016 came out with a version for the 64bit P3Dv4. Orbx regions and landclasses are mostly there. Others, too. And all a lot sooner than expected and within the LM 60 day evaluation window. Things are good and getting better.

Then Lorbi SI came along and wrote an excellent utility making it simple and painless to install scenery the "right" way. So I did and found out some things worked and some things didn't. But nothing exploded and I just as simply uninstalled those problems. I'll decide later if the new and improved scenery update is worth paying for again.

However I have kept v3.4 installed because there's no Eaglesoft CitationX, no GTN750, no Flight1 Mustang. they'll trickle in (maybe) after the developers stop complaining and get to work.

Ed,

If you are not having problems with v3.4 you'll probably not have problems with v4. Your specs are better than mine so go for it. Not all of your toys are available yet but there are enough to make an educated evaluation of the new sim. If you're still on the fence then listen to those that actually have P3Dv4 and run it.

• Upvote 2

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

3 hours ago, RoboRay said:

and the ORBX airports (they depend on DLLs that still need to be converted to 64-bit code).

That's exactly what I was referring to, airports (not regions, sorry for the confusion).

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, Twenty6 said:

Some people have trouble boiling water.

LOL :biggrin:

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Agree completely Ed. Pretty much did the same as you. Some of the visuals during some flights have literally taken my breath away. I flew IRL for many years and this is the best representation of what you see that I have seen so far.

I see absolutely no reason for anyone to wait unless they flat cannot afford the cost. Other than that, it's a no brainer.

Forums are a place meant for people who have problems to come and hopefully find answers. So by nature you will find more people with problems but to try to use that as a criteria for a purchase is foolish. I am sure that myself and many others could fill these forums with posts on how much we like V4 but we are probably busy enjoying it.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, Twenty6 said:

Ed,

If you are not having problems with v3.4 you'll probably not have problems with v4. Your specs are better than mine so go for it. Not all of your toys are available yet but there are enough to make an educated evaluation of the new sim. If you're still on the fence then listen to those that actually have P3Dv4 and run it.

Hi Jay:

That's what I'm currently planning to do. I need the Flight1's GTN 650 & 750 working in P3Dv4 before completely transitioning to P3Dv4, as you point out!. In the meantime, I'll install P3Dv4 on my another SSD drive and see how it goes. Seems to me that I'll have P3Dv3.4 running for some more time!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 hours ago, sanh said:

Good to know we can keep you entertained :) It's great to see it's working well for many of you but there are still lots of people reporting problems with add-ons etc so for many of us it's just not worth it if we don't have OOMs. New lighting that cuts the FPS in half or further out aurogen are not worth the effort IMHO.

We will move over in the next 1-2 years but only when it's better then what we have right now (plus all the add-ons).

Plus with many add-ons coming out for FSX first we should hopefully be next in line before V4 :)

Fun fact: You can turn off stuff like dynamic lighting ;-)

So if you don't give a you know what about visuals and OOM I am with you. You can stay at v3. 

I can still hear the whining in this forum in a not so far past about how P3D is not 64Bit and that's sooooo bad. 

And now all people do is complaining about this and that.

funny. This really keeps me entertained. You're right. 

4 hours ago, ErichB said:

If you haven't 'moved over' yet, how can you compare anything as 'better'?   Flightsim is a completely subjective experience.  Whatever works for you is fine - but refrain from silly statements

Your last line is a contradiction because it is what works for me! You compare something as better by looking at youtube videos, other user comments and feature lists. If I (like many others) have a well oiled system with no stutters, blurries and all add-ons working why bother upgrading for what v4 gives currently? I don't have OOMs, seeing a pixel represending house on the horizon 20 miles away is not a priority and dynamic lighting cuts FPS in half.

It's not a silly statement just because you disagree with it.

3 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Good grief! Look in any simulator forum and you'll see people having problems. Some people have trouble boiling water. By your logic we'd all still be using Flight Simulator II on a Commodore 64.

I bought and installed P3Dv4 on opening day, and right out of the box I could tell it was better. Not perfect, but better than v3.4. TrackIR5 worked without incident. AS2016 came out with a version for the 64bit P3Dv4. Orbx regions and landclasses are mostly there. Others, too. And all a lot sooner than expected and within the LM 60 day evaluation window. Things are good and getting better.

Then Lorbi SI came along and wrote an excellent utility making it simple and painless to install scenery the "right" way. So I did and found out some things worked and some things didn't. But nothing exploded and I just as simply uninstalled those problems. I'll decide later if the new and improved scenery update is worth paying for again.

However I have kept v3.4 installed because there's no Eaglesoft CitationX, no GTN750, no Flight1 Mustang. they'll trickle in (maybe) after the developers stop complaining and get to work.

Ed,

Another bizarre rant. We are not using flight sim 2 because what's available now is of course much better. Can the same be said between v3 and v4. The difference between P3d v3 and v4 is not that big a gulf! The advantages at the moment are fairly minimal for v4 at best we feel. Its smooth...so is v3! No OOMs....same for me on v3....some addons dont work....they do on v3. Hardly like comparing fs2 with now! Why bother upgrading if we feel the v4 new features are minimal at best and some add-ons will not work and some may not work as expected like other users are reporting? Hardly crazy.

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

Fun fact: You can turn off stuff like dynamic lighting ;-)

So if you don't give a you know what about visuals and OOM I am with you. You can stay at v3. 

I can still hear the whining in this forum in a not so far past about how P3D is not 64Bit and that's sooooo bad. 

And now all people do is complaining about this and that.

funny. This really keeps me entertained. You're right. 

Yes you can turn it off. The point is why bother upgrading then? What advantage is there in v4 over v3 then right now?

Lots of us don't care if we have the "latest" version or not. If the benefits are not worth it then why bother. It may be for you and that's great. No need to bash those who feel v3 is still the best platform right now as "complainers" or makers of "silly statements" or should be "still on fs2" just because you don't agree with them.

No one moans you have moved to v4. Stop moaning about those who choose to stay on v3!

Peace and love to the prepar3d community!

1 hour ago, sanh said:

Yes you can turn it off. The point is why bother upgrading then? What advantage is there in v4 over v3 then right now?

:D

Well, no more questions.... I could link the changelog here, but what would it change? Stay at v3, I don't care ;)

I'm so sick and tired of this "why should I switch to the new version". Same sh*t different version -.-

Hello all,

Time, I think, to close this thread. Sadly,it has degenerated to a cow-like chewing the cud situation with nothing really constructive happening.

It is really sad to see a conversation/debate degenerate like this. Some one has stated that it is "entertainment" but I believe that as the conversation goes on and on, it is far (very far) from that.

Simmers who want to stay with v3, should stay with v3. Those who do, can and will justify it to themselves and quite rightly. Moving up to v4 will always be an experiment and largely based on the opinions of others who have done the upgrade and shared the experience. This is, in fact, the purpose of this debate in the first place.  Again, those who upgrade can and will justify the move and quite rightly too

For sure, all of us, who are considering an upgrade have a need to hear about the problems especially, if the OP has found a workaround or solution to the situation they have experienced.

For the life of me, I cannot see the need for some of the biting, cutting or sarcastic remarks we find from time to time on this forum about  a wide variety of topics.

I would like to point out that I respect everybodys' point of view and, as somebody famous once said, their right to express it. Can we please just get on with it because life really is too short for this rubbish.

Cheers

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.