Sign in to follow this  
adyfoot

Core i9 7900X for P3D v4

8 hours ago, SteveW said:

Don't forget a platinum PSU with good headroom. Brute force of four cores is hard to match but for P3D a fast 6 core may do it, faster than 8 or 10 due to less heat, spare pair of cores to offload addons exe apps onto.

Hi Steve,

Indeed - looking to use a 1600 watt EVGA P2 PSU. Expensive but will be worth it for the headroom and efficiency of delivery.  I have a 6850K at the moment and this new 7900X will clock higher than it and have an additional 4 cores.  Should be amazing!

Ady

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

Will definitely be very nice Ady, good luck with the build!

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

7 hours ago, bonchie said:

I wouldn't pay for a 7900x.

Just get a 7740x and OC it to 5.0ghz (and it can supposedly go higher). Same difference.

It will be propably best CPU for P3D for raw performance. But 7700k with OC will be mostly same as 7740k but you have to pay extra for X299 platform and you can't utilize all features of that platform with 7740k. So 7700k is better price for mostly same performance. In my country our top HW sellers have 7700k pretested for 5.0 and 5.1GHz OC if you do not want risk silicon lotery.

Anyway I'm not interested with 7700k even 7740k. With my 4790k I'm at same levels and improvement do not justify investments. I would likely change my 1080 for 1080Ti instead of 4790k for 7700k.

But I really like 78x0X Especially 6 core with 389 USD price tag seems great, I can achieve at least same singhle thread performance as with my current CPU, but will have extra cores. With 7820X I can disable HT to keep my current threads count and with HT disabled there is more room for OC, less heat and power consumption. Wit 599USD price tag it is still not too expensive.

I really like AMD Ryzen CPUs, they are very close to Intel with IPC, but can't go higher than 4.1Ghz, so there is at least 20% less performance for us.

So I went and bought the system.  I put it together over the past couple of days and, alas, there was a leaky water-cooling component on the graphics card SLI bridge.  New part arrives on Tuesday so I should have some P3D v4 results by the weekend.  Stay tuned.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

Will be interesting to hear back.  That's quite the system :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 23/06/2017 at 0:13 AM, SteveW said:

Don't forget a platinum PSU with good headroom.

I agree about the headroom but is it really worth a 20% increase in cost for a 1-2% increase in efficiency?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 hours ago, vortex681 said:

I agree about the headroom but is it really worth a 20% increase in cost for a 1-2% increase in efficiency?

I actually ended up going for a Corsair AX1200i as the EVGA one was out of stock for a few weeks.

Check out SiliconLottery.com https://siliconlottery.com/collections/frontpage/products/7700k52g for 7700Ks that are guaranteed to run at 5.2Ghz - you do pay a premium price of course because they have to test a bunch of chips to get one that will actually run at that speed (only 6% of entire chips).

I'm not sure if they are taking a look at 6 core chips which I prefer since I have had that for 3 years now at 4.2 Ghz and prefer it - more flexibility. Silicon Lottery will have 7800X chips (6 core) available soon at 4.8Ghz or so??

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

On 6/22/2017 at 2:47 PM, adyfoot said:

something that should stand the test of time

for 1-2 years may be, never the test of time ;-) I always question the HW spec for P3D and v4.  I am not convinced yet if any new CPU would do a better job when it comes to P3D than my aging i7-2700K.  Unfortunately, I would have to spend thousand to find out.:anonymose:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

12 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Depends how long you have it turned on. 1-2% on a big PSU could save you £50 a year or more on the electric bill.

...so for arguments sake say you keep the PC for three years, you can spend £150 more on the CPU and save £150 in bills. Not much help there. However what's harder to understand, increased efficiency roughly translates into increased component longevity, all the powered up components will last a little longer or at least can prove a little more reliable in the long run.

7 hours ago, SteveW said:

...so for arguments sake say you keep the PC for three years, you can spend £150 more on the CPU and save £150 in bills. Not much help there. However what's harder to understand, increased efficiency roughly translates into increased component longevity, all the powered up components will last a little longer or at least can prove a little more reliable in the long run.

If you take a look here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2012/august/80-plus-platinum-what-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me they show typical savings over a year using differently rated PSUs. From the table in their example, the difference in savings between Gold and Platinum rated PSUs is less than $3 a year (and the example assumes 16 hours usage on most days with two high-end graphics cards in SLI). You'd need to run it for several years just to make up the difference in cost between the two PSUs. Most people would probably have their systems on for less than 16 hours a day and wouldn't have cards in SLI so the savings would be even less.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

47 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

If you take a look here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2012/august/80-plus-platinum-what-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me they show typical savings over a year using differently rated PSUs. From the table in their example, the difference in savings between Gold and Platinum rated PSUs is less than $3 a year (and the example assumes 16 hours usage on most days with two high-end graphics cards in SLI). You'd need to run it for several years just to make up the difference in cost between the two PSUs. Most people would probably have their systems on for less than 16 hours a day and wouldn't have cards in SLI so the savings would be even less.

Yes compare Gold to Platinum standards these are obviously close in performance and cost.

...but reading to the end of the example you gave, vortex681, the consensus is it's better to have the better PSU for saving energy alone.

$164.98 - $107.87 = $57.11 saved

Given I'm in the UK that'll be around £50

3 hours ago, SteveW said:

Given I'm in the UK that'll be around £50

But that's comparing a basic PSU which just meets the ATX requirements to a Platinum-rated unit. My original comment was comparing Gold to Platinum. Gold-rated units typically cost about 20% less than Platinum but the difference in running costs/efficiency between the two is next to nothing, so why pay the extra for the Platinum-rated PSU?