Sign in to follow this  
adyfoot

Core i9 7900X for P3D v4

15 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

But that's comparing a basic PSU which just meets the ATX requirements to a Platinum-rated unit. My original comment was comparing Gold to Platinum. Gold-rated units typically cost about 20% less than Platinum but the difference in running costs/efficiency between the two is next to nothing, so why pay the extra for the Platinum-rated PSU?

My comment seems quite clear - any guy can walk out of a computer store with a PSU that is properly rated, but only meets minimum requirements, whereas he can get a gold or platinum and save 40-50 a year on power as your article suggests. What you do is your own business.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Well - I finally got the new GPU waterblock and managed to get the loop filled without any *initial* leaks.  Continued leak testing continues whilst I do my day job - then onto getting things installed this evening.

guestaccess.aspx?docid=0d7ebe4dc02904fad

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

Hi, be aware of the VRM problems of these boards. Better watch the whole video to prevent your system from burning :P. That's why I'm waiting for the Apex from Asus.

Orcun Günaytekin

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

42 minutes ago, orcunizma said:

Hi, be aware of the VRM problems of these boards. Better watch the whole video to prevent your system from burning :P.

If true, this must be very worrying for early adopters (especially the part about the CPU downclocking!).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

14 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

If true, this must be very worrying for early adopters (especially the part about the CPU downclocking!).

For me the 8PIN heat problem is more scary. My advice is to always read-up before buying.

@adyfoot
Give your mainboard back if you still can and wait till there is mainboards without this problem. Do not try to overclock.

Goodluck & cheers

Orcun Günaytekin

No offence but I am not sure how many people are actually putting their comment with some supporting knowledge on hardware here....

The new i7 & i9 from intel is running with 140W at the peak. If we compare to the older version i7 is only 94W at peak but they are the same 14nm architect. 

Some tests have been released recently or even before the release that the new i7 & i9 is not OC friendly because of the heat that they generated.

Back to the top of this thread and undoubtedly the config you posted is at the top of the market and should provides you the top rank performance (if not the best) available now. However, he money that your need to spend may not be the most efficient way or unless money is not a problem to you even there will be only 5fps -10fps more?

In terms of CPU clock speed, 7900X is decent @ default 1st boost 4.3GHz & 4.5G 2nd boost. However I don't think it can be OC to a frequency that close to 5GHz with a reasonable temperature even with water cooling system. If you can't reach 5GHz with 7900X, may be 7700K with proper cooling and OC to 4.8-5GHz can generate similar result to 7900X but it saves you a lot of $$$$$. By the way, the 2nd boost tech is a new stuff, how the CPU will perform for 2nd boost is still unknown. If the 2nd boost only support a certain software or the CPU may hesitate before going to 2nd boost, the generated result may not be as good as you think. I would even worry that how long the CPU is willing to stay at 2nd boost stage will be a big question mark too.

P3D is not good in multi-core calculation so far, may be it will in weeks or months or even years to address this. 4 cores 8 threads, 10 cores 12 threads is indeed another very minor improvement you can get there. The only big increase is the cache size, 7700k is having L2 cache 256KB & L3 8MB, 7900x is having L2 cache 1MB & L3 13.75MB. The improvement is huge and allow more data to be processed. Therefore, I would estimated the performance of a 7700K @ 5GHz is similar to a 7900X @ 4.5GHz in P3D.

Other bonus you will have for going to X299 will be a higher frequency DDR4 RAM but it will be just fraction of it in terms of fps. However, the price between Z270 Mainboard & DDR3 will be another few $$$$$. 

Last but not least, staying with socket 1151 means that you can have more options to update in future for CPU once the new core is introduced. Going to socket 2011 means that you can only go for the X-series later and not all X-series so far has a good OC ability and fast clock speed. In worse case, just from imagination, Coffee Lake in future may have a socket 1151 version @ 4.8GHz default and good OC ability but the Coffee Lake X may be tuned down to 4.2GHz but only more cores. At the end of the day, 1 series is for gamer, higher frequency, better OC ability, but another series X were designed for Workstations & multitask calculation.

The latest X series i7 & i9 is the first series of X CPU with such a high cock speed ever (a gamers favourite). People believes that Intel just want to rush them out to the market to create an KO effect to AMD Ryzen.

The new i7 & i9 may not be as good as they are expected at all. Even to those software that they are targeted to work with. Let alone with P3D.

The Skylake-X series is minimum using 300 watts and also he tested you can easily overclock those CPU's to 5GHz and more on an AiO its basically twice a 7700k. The CPU is not the problem its the mainboard architecture thats messed up. That guy on the video is the most famous and best overclocker from Germany so I thrust him what he says and wait for the right mainboards. Quad Cores is outdated for me, if you upgrade now you should get a 6 core minimum the cost is not much more than you would get for a 4 core. Better take the 7820X or above to ensure and those are still affordable if you compare the prices with Broadwell-E. Just imagine 8x; 10x @ 5 GHz and above with custom water cooling thats just insane.

Orcun Günaytekin

Hi all,

I too saw the videos about the poor VRM heat dissipation - but they were all conducted on fairly low-end motherboards.  My Gaming 9 board is top of the line and comes with 2 x 4 pin CPU power ports.

Today I overclocked to 4.3GHz - which is what I was running before on my 6850K - and ran a 15 minutes ASUS ROG stress-test.  The VRM didn't get above 75 and the CPU hovered around 60 degrees.  This was with a very hot and humid ambient temperate of 30 degrees in my office.  So it seems that the higher end boards are perfectly fine.  I'll push the overclock up by 100 MHz at a time and see I get to.  But, to be honest, if I can get the same overclock I had before, but with 4 extra cores, I'm happy.  I know a 7700K can go to 5GHz but my 6850K at 4.3 used to perform just a well based on the smoothness I was getting with lots of add-ons.

Cheers,

Ady

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

do you see an improvment since you have your decacore ?

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

2 minutes ago, supersym said:

do you see an improvment since you have your decacore ?

In P3D?  Not tried yet.  Got an ongoing issue around SLI at the moment so I've not even got it installed yet.  Hope to get it up and running this evening so will report back.  I expect to do some proper testing at the weekend.

Ady

ok thanls =)

can you let me know witch voltage you put in your proc ?

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC

12 minutes ago, supersym said:

ok thanls =)

can you let me know witch voltage you put in your proc ?

At 4.3GHz it's around 1.15v.

Def report back as soon as you can. I'm desperate to hear how this chip runs P3D. I'm sure with those extra cores it'll fly.

My 3930K is still rocking at 4.4ghz and i've found running with HT off yields the smoothest results as does Rob Ainscough with his 5960x, so def try HT off too if you get a chance.

Cheers!

44 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

and the CPU hovered around 60 degrees.  

did'nt you try 1.2 volt or 1.25 @ 4.4,4.5 ... ?

60 ° with the CPU, I think it's possible...

I really hope I can clock a 7820x to around 5GHz with delidding and water loop. And due to 2 less cores there also should be less heat right? Otherwise I will have to wait what the Threadripper or Coffee Lake is capable of as this would be no option for me. :/

By the way is your HT on or off? Can you post your temps under stress test with HT off?

Thanks

Orcun Günaytekin