Sign in to follow this  
rictus

GTN750 in home cockpit - touchscreen

Gents - I wonder if anyone can give me some advice?

I'm building a PA28 home cockpit based on the vFlyteAir PA28-140 (which is about to get RXP support).

The GTN750 with the touch features will save me a TON of wiring, dials, custom parts etc in building a radio panel (and without buying some very expensive 3rd party kit!!).

I'm using it with XP11 and will purchase an HDMI/VGA touchscreen for the purpose, which will be connected directly to my main computer's graphics card.

What I'd like to find out is - if I undock the GTN750 in a separate window in the sim and position it on the touchscreen, will it stay there? Is there a way to ensure that every time I load up the sim, I don't have to grab the mouse and move the GTN display on to the touchscreen?

Any alternative suggestions also gratefully received!

Thanks

Rich

On June 23, 2017 at 8:11 AM, rictus said:

What I'd like to find out is - if I undock the GTN750 in a separate window in the sim and position it on the touchscreen, will it stay there?

We are waiting for the XP11 updated SDK with detachable window support. Once it is available, we'll see how it can deal with this!

I suspect it would 'behave' the very same as the default detachable GPS or detachable MAP. What is your experience with your multi-monitor setup and the default XP11 detachable windows?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks both - I'm ordering the touchscreen tomorrow so once it's arrived I'll hook it up and see for sure. As far as the undocked, windowed default gns530, it seems to show up in the same spot on the same monitor at the same size every time I load the default Cessna, so I think there is hope! (And that's not even from saved situation, that's just new flight 😊)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rictus said:

t seems to show up in the same spot on the same monitor at the same size every time I load the default Cessna,

Sounds good enough for me!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 6/25/2017 at 4:39 AM, rictus said:

Thanks both - I'm ordering the touchscreen tomorrow so once it's arrived I'll hook it up and see for sure.

What screen did you order for your GTN?

I'm ordering a 7" HDMI Touchscreen from Amazon - it'll be just slightly smaller than the real GTN750, but the 10" is a big jump in price - unfortunately it's really hard to find a 5:4 screen, they're mostly 16:9, and the 5:4 I did find was stupid expensive!

A 7" 16:9 touchscreen is about £40. The say 'for Raspberry Pi' but the touchscreen device is supported in Windows. 

This is the one I'm considering - it's nicely self-contained, one of the others is about £5 cheaper but has all the gubbins hanging off ribbon cables. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015GPJM84/ref=s9u_wsim_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B015GPJM84&pd_rd_r=4N7N01711TJBTFCPBXM0&pd_rd_w=zoZtl&pd_rd_wg=VbxAu&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=JRH45VT7X0QQ2YH2BYER&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=cdb42b11-1ad3-4a1f-8333-e9ef614c88d1&pf_rd_i=desktop

On 7/10/2017 at 7:35 PM, rictus said:

I'm ordering a 7" HDMI Touchscreen from Amazon - it'll be just slightly smaller than the real GTN750, but the 10" is a big jump in price - unfortunately it's really hard to find a 5:4 screen, they're mostly 16:9, and the 5:4 I did find was stupid expensive!

A 7" 16:9 touchscreen is about £40. The say 'for Raspberry Pi' but the touchscreen device is supported in Windows. 

This is the one I'm considering - it's nicely self-contained, one of the others is about £5 cheaper but has all the gubbins hanging off ribbon cables. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015GPJM84/ref=s9u_wsim_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B015GPJM84&pd_rd_r=4N7N01711TJBTFCPBXM0&pd_rd_w=zoZtl&pd_rd_wg=VbxAu&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=JRH45VT7X0QQ2YH2BYER&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=cdb42b11-1ad3-4a1f-8333-e9ef614c88d1&pf_rd_i=desktop

Hi, any chance you have a link to the 5:4 touch screen still? 

thanks