Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

FPS Question

I have strange problem with fs9 so here goes.My system is basicly this AMD 28001gb ram80 gb HDBFG Nvidia 5500 OC 256 mb cardNow with that in mind FS9 runs great most of my graphic sliders are almost all the way to the right with some AI traffic on and PMDG 737 running at KSEA I can fly around the area with framerates easily in the 30s and 40s :)Now for the kicker... As soon as ASV6 loads the clouds BAM!! my FPS drop to 10 to 14. I have tried everything to tweak it out but nothing helps even running the lowest res. clouds that ASV6 has and no change. So heres the question. Is my graphics card hitting its limit or what?. Would I be able to get back into the 30s with a new card or is it something else I havent thought of. Seems like the higher I turn up my graphics sliders the better FS9 runs and I get higher FPS but when the clouds hit look out. I have tried lower slider settings and it makes it worse.I was wondering if maybe my graphics card does great with scenery but poorly with clouds any ideas?

Guest Yak Yak

i had the same problem as well...i think it has to do with the AV6 update patch...at least in my case.i'm running on a amd 64 3200+, 2 gigs of ram, and a x800xt 256mb card. When the game first loads, i will get 30-40 fps constant..no matter how complex the scenery/plane/vc/ai/etc is. But once av6 loads, it'll literally drop down to 10 or less (with 256 clouds, and low weather settings). This drove me nuts for a while, because i couldn't understand why the fps drop was so huge. I decided to completely uninstall av6, and removed all traces of it from the registy, etc. Then i re-installed it back, but without the upgrade patch. Now i'm back at 30-40fps, even in heavy clouds. Give it a try...might help. It only takes about 10min or so to uninstall-reinstall....so can't hurt.-fz

Thats interesting I have uninstalled asv6 as well I dont remember however how far I went to get rid of all of it though. But when I did the reinstall I patched it all back up to current. My prob. is the same as yours was I get big hits when those clouds load.

Whatever you do, clouds and AI traffic are two softwares very fps consuming. And any moving maps also.

Roger

See my specs in my profile

And AS at times has a tendency to demand massive amounts of CPU time, which it sometimes fails to release properly afterwards.Not always, but once in a while you may end up with AS using nearly 100% of the CPU during and after a weather update.

Guest bobsk8

>And AS at times has a tendency to demand massive amounts of>CPU time, which it sometimes fails to release properly>afterwards.>Not always, but once in a while you may end up with AS using>nearly 100% of the CPU during and after a weather update.Strange,I noticed no difference at all between AS5 and AS6 with the update. I have always used DXT3 clouds and still get good frame rates with AI at 100%. Might be a good idea to put this topic on the Active Sky Forum rather than this one for more information.