Sign in to follow this  
Wobbie

NexGen Sim - dead in the water

I was asked if I could post this ....

Hi ZS

Just to let you know that I received this email from Stephen B this morning.....

-----
June 22 2017

Re new sim - volunteer

Hi ***,

After two years of negotiating with Diamond Visionics for use of their engine and never coming to an agreeable point, I felt we had lost our window of opportunity with the likes of Prepar3D v4 and X-Plane 11 (as well as others) being released, so we have closed up shop.

There are, in my opinion, two simulators available that you should keep an eye on and support any way that you can. The first is X-Plane 11, arguably the best current simulator out there and their plans for the rest of 2017 and beyond are only going to make the simulator that much better. The second is Flight Sim World (DTG)... no, I'm not kidding. The potential for FSW is absolutely amazing and more importantly, DTG is turning to us, the flight simulator enthusiasts, to steer them in the right direction. Time will tell with FSW, but if DTG is true to their commitment to us, FSW can be one amazing flight simulator. Plus the price is right! And if you already have FSX or P3D addons the FSW community has figured ways to install them into FSW.

My suggestion is to purchase both X-Plane and FSW and enjoy the ride!

Thanks for your interest in NGiS.

Sincerely,
Stephen Borick

-------------------------------ends-------

Notice that Stephen appears chicken on this issue, since he hasn't gone public with this news, and many supporters of the NGIS will no doubt still be holding out hope for the NeXgen flightsim.

Notice also that Stephen is now promoting X-plane and variants of FSX, despite these past years denouncing these 'old' sims as being 'obsolete'.

So we were correct all along. It was all hot air and vapourware! ;-)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I merged these two topics together since they were both created within hours of each other.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ah, that simulator that was supposed to have every single feature anyone ever asked for at an unprecedented level of complexity, detail and fidelity with even more unbelievable performance, the exact details of which could sadly never been talked about due to very complex and soon-to-be-settled legal reasons, which nevertheless showed how awesome and mindblowing it was gonna be. 

5 hours ago, Wobbie said:

So we were correct all along. It was all hot air and vapourware! ;-)

Maybe there's still hope that in the future that he could do a hot air balloon simulator.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Wobbie said:

two years of negotiating

I wonder, had they had spent 2 years writing code instead of "negotiating" maybe this would have amounted to something?

Oh well, I give Stephen some credit for taking the initiative but I never had much confidence that this would go anywhere.

• Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

4 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Maybe there's still hope that in the future that he could do a hot air balloon simulator.

or build an ingenious, never seen before, fog machine! :dry: 

• Upvote 2

If we had a quid for every announced flight sim or add-on which has come to nought, I suspect we'd all be able to buy our own private jet. At least the guy had a try, but it was always going to be a tall order, so it's no real surprise.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Have you guys considered the possibility that NGIS was a genuine and honest project, that simply failed?
Also, please read the link. There is an implicit explanation as to why they decided to give up at some point. When you lack money and so many competitors are bringing up high-level simulators to the market at the same time, obviously your task gets even harder.

I do believe it was an honest project, but with ambitions and goals so out of this world that it was destined to fail in one way (not being released) or the other (releasing something way below the level that they promised).

If you look at Aerofly2 - that's the way a "new" simulator does it: Not promising the flight sim revolution, but clearly focussing on two or three key aspects (performance, visual fidelity, VR) and raising the bar in those regards.

I am not surprised by this.  I talked to him a year or more ago about doing some work with their team.  The documents that were sent to me led me to believe that the project would never get past the planning stages so I declined.  Its one thing to have a big dream but its a totally different thing to make it come true.  I wish him all the luck in the future.

• Upvote 1

You have to give the guy credit for at least trying. How many opportunities have fallen through the wayside because no one attempted to follow through.

Maybe he didn't have the business savvy that was required or general expertise. But he tried and I think any ridicule or ostracizing is pretty harsh.

Just look at the reoccurring themes of posts that show up, the desire to move on to a modern simulator similar to the high end graphics found in various video games, but they need to be backward compatible with all the add ons purchased, with realistic ATC. If someone announces that they will try, they get laughed off the stage.

I personally commend him for giving it the college try, I don't know what kind of financial backing he had, but you can look no further than Star Citizen at something that has relatively unlimited resources and has failed to produce a finished product.

• Upvote 3

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

45 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

Have you guys considered the possibility that NGIS was a genuine and honest project, that simply failed?

I have no doubts that their efforts were genuine and honest. I also have no doubts that they were completely out of their depth not just in terms of building a simulator, but also a software product in general. They focused on the outward trappings of a company rather than the product itself. What's unfortunate was how dismissive they were of the efforts that real software developers have been doing over the past few years. This is hard work, not deserving of being dismissed by a bunch of amateurs who are convinced they could do better without any idea of the efforts involved.

My earlier advice stands for those of you curious and interested - go volunteer with FlightGear.

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 2

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Ah, I remember when this all started... 

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10