Sign in to follow this  
orbmis

P3D v4 Graphics Configuration

Hello,,

Recently installed P3Dv4, and have been doing some initial flying with various graphics settings, looking to find the 'optimal' setup. But something came across my mind,.... while working with the various settings, I have both Nvidia Control Panel & Nvidia Inspector installed. Each of these have P3D listed in their application list, so how would they interact with the native P3Dv4 settings? Would the Nvidia Control Panel settings override P3Dv4?  Would Nvidia Inspector override Control Panel? Vice Versa? Is there some sort or prioritization going on that I'm not aware of?

Just trying to understand how all 3 interact with each other, and should I consider deleting the P3D app from one of them?

Thanks,

Mike

That depends on which of the two last applies. These configurations are applied at the moment of clicking and not every time you load the simulator. In my case, I no longer use NI, only used it for the SSAA option and P3Dv4 already has that option. In NCP, I only use the Max Performance and One monitor options because I only use one screen. Everything else I'm configuring in P3D, but it's something I'm still testing.

Mario
------------
Hardware: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero + AMD 5900X, G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32Gb DDR4 3200MHz, MSI RTX 3080 Ti
Software: Windows 11, Prepar3D v5.3HF2

It all depends on the settings and how they are configured. The NV Control panel sets the registry to load the specific configuration. *SOME* of the settings may be configured as application controlled or override application  and that is what they will do. NVI just adds some settings that are not contained in the NVCPL and also makes registry changes and same applies - if it's set to override it will.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

All of my graphic settings are set in the P3D.cfg.  My NI and Display Driver settings are set to the default (which is basically "Application Controlled").  Very simple.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

26 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

All of my graphic settings are set in the P3D.cfg.  My NI and Display Driver settings are set to the default (which is basically "Application Controlled").  Very simple.

I've done  the same thing Jim, essentially nothing and the sim is performing wonderfully. I'm new to P3d and made a decision to NOT tinker with anything other than the in sim settings and NV Display settings in Windows (right click on the desktop).  No over clocks of CPU and GPU. My in sim graphics settings are mostly one notch to the left, with dynamic lighting, no super sampling (8xMSAA)  70% traffic, all Casting and Recieving shadows checked, AS16 and the UTX scenery for North America, Tropical and Europe.. Flew around NYC this morning in the Flysimware Lear and smooth no stutters of any kind. Those who fly that plane no it can be hard on FPS even without the TCN 750. GPU and CPU loads and temps are well below any concerns. FPS at NYC was jumping between 23 and 33, no problem. 

I7-6700K @ 4.0 turbo mode to 4.2 - 16GB  good memory - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 (8GB)

Bob

I'm following re: the application-controlled settings, but items with a specific setting are where the questions arise. For example, in NV control panel, in settings for P3D, antialiasing -- FXAA, the choices are: Use global setting, Off, On. That would indicate that NV control panel would override the same setting in P3D, period. There is no app-controlled option available. The same setting is also in NI; but at least app-controlled is available there. Starts to look like we need to keep settings aligned between all 3??

You are WAY overthinking the issue. As Jim said, if you set all at default and let the application handle it you don't have to worry about it.

*IF* for some reason you WANT to use all three together then, yes, you must pay attention to what you are doing.

FWIW, NVI doesn't override NVCPL.  If, for example, you make settings in NVCPL and then go into NVI and CHANGE them, they will be reflected in NVCPL - there is no conflict. You just have to decide what you want. AS far as the OFF setting - it means exactly that - NVI will not affect that setting - it will remain in it's current state, whatever that is. If the application changes it, that's what it will be.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

HI Vic,,

Thanks for your very helpful description of how NI & NVCPL operate re: registry. Certainly gave me a better understanding. Hoping to not overthink it, but can I simplify for a second.....

NVCPL has the FXAA setting as On,, Within P3D, the FXAA is set as Off. If I launch P3D, is the FXAA on or off as the sim is running? There is no app-controlled choice avail in NVCPL.

Thanks again,,, Mike