Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bell206freak

tinted glass

Not familiar with this aircraft, but have aircraft with tinted windows.Usually it is as easy as 'removing' (back-up first) the xx.bmp file in the texture folder that creates the tint effect. Usually they are pretty easy to spot by name, as they are associated to 'glass' 'tint' 'window' etc.

Guest Pabra

This one's part of the model so if you remove the bmp it's still tinted but in a way it removes contrast of the outside world making it kinda bland..

Gotcha....Oh well, thought that might work for'ya. Hopefully someone else can give you better instruction on how to remove it.

Guest CWD

Perhaps the tint could be removed using the MDLMat utility. I have no experience with it myself, but other people have done lots of neat stuff with it.

Guest Pabra

Has anyone succeeded in removing the tinted glass in the vc from the captainsim 727? I recall it's the model that needs to be tweaked and with thousands of simmers just maybe there's one who pulled it off..

"Perhaps the tint could be removed using the MDLMat utility. I have no experience with it myself, but other people have done lots of neat stuff with it. "Thanks for mention of this great utility! Often I have downloaded a model, and for whatever reason, have either found the glass not reflective enough, or have found myself wishing for some dynamic shine, or have found the interior glass too dark and distracting from VFR flight. Model authors are artists but also can't cater to everyone's whim. This utility lets you do minor material work to a model to satisfy your tastes, or perhaps your graphic card's quirks. It's offered up by Martin Wright.I did some material work with the Rotorway Exec by Munch brothers on my first run with this utility last night. The glass of that aircraft always looked a bit washed out on my system. I updated the material, adding more opacity and a touch of dynamic shine. The updated model appears in the last screenshot posted in the link below.To answer the original question, this tool can be used to remove tinted glass from within the VC, but I have to issue a few warnings:First, the materials are represented with hex values. Nothing tells you what the material is, although there's an LOD value which does tell what model (exterior or otherwise) the material is located in. Trial and error, and having a master backup, are essential to working with this tool. Glass materials are usually somewhat easy to find, since they almost always have an alpha value less than 255 unless it's a very old model that used texture masking to simulate windows.Second, there is an issue of copyright. As an author I know full well people are free in most countries to tinker with my work and even reverse engineer it. I don't forbid that for personal use and don't really care if someone does it. But tinkering with any model and releasing it to the public is a violation of copyright. If it's a freeware model and you think the original author would approve of your work, seek permission if you want to release the model. In the case of payware, it's better to suggest the material changes you made to the payware author and let them decide if they're worthwhile to include in a future release.Third warning.... BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!I can only see a handful of us ever using this tool, but it's a great tool for those who like to tinker. Thanks for mention of it.-John http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=225145&page=

Guest Bell206freak

Where can I find this tool? I wanna see what this thing can do.

Guest Bell206freak

LOL. I did a search for it here in the file library and found nothing, so I went and searched for it on Yahoo!. Found it there through a link to the website you posted above.Thanks anyways for the help!:)