Sign in to follow this  
egntpilot

PMDG 747 V3 BOAC repaint request

Hi

I've just put a request in the repaint requests section of the forum, I'm adding a link here in case one of the highly talented painters who frequent this board might take a look. (if this is against the rules then I'm happy for the moderators to delete this thread)

Cheers

Steve Mckenna

Odd request.  BOAC became BA in 74, the B744 was launched in 89.

Dan Downs KCRP

I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that BA might have considered painting one of their 747s up in BOAC colours for some kind of anniversary celebration, as airlines are occasionally wont to do with older liveries. You never know, BA might even do that when they bid the 747 farewell, after all, BA do use the Speedbird callsign they gained from the name of the old Imperial Airways and subsequent BOAC logo, it was even on BA aeroplanes until the mid eighties, albeit not as the tail logo.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

14 minutes ago, downscc said:

Odd request.  BOAC became BA in 74, the B744 was launched in 89.

Hi Dan,

why odd?

I am aware the livery wasn't on the 747-400 and I don't care,I just like the look of the livery,there are plenty of PMDG fictional liveries out there, as I mentioned in the original post, even a BOAC livery for the 777. 

I know some simmers only fly authentic liveries and others only fly real world routes with real world liveries and equipment, the beauty of Flight Simulation is we can all use the sim the way we want. 

I fly using real world procedures, plan with PFPX and TOPCAT, use real world weather and try as best as possible to use real world procedures, SID's and STAR's etc however I don't care that the livery I fly doesn't fly to the airport I fly to, or that that the airline didn't fly the aircraft i'm flying.

My last two flights have been with the 747-400 in the PMDG Northwest livery, flying from Barcelona to Zurich and Zurich to Athens. I picked that livery because I think it looks good and that makes me happy. Just as the guys who fly real world flights and equipment makes them happy and I'm glad we can have so much diversity in how we use the sim.

It's a shame that  someone of your standing in the community makes what appears to me anyway a negative comment about how a fellow simmer wants to use his sim

Steve Mckenna

• Like 1

Wow... just said it was odd. Didn't mean to offend you.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan

That's my point, why do you think its odd? That I don't use my sim the way you use yours?

Anyway all I want is a livery, if it doesn't happen, so be it and i'm sure PMDG don't need their forum cluttered up with non PMDG related discussion so I'll leave it at that.

Steve Mckenna

Looks like your prayers may have been answered:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2019/01/21/british-airways-retro-boac-paint-scheme-boeing-747-british-overseas-corporation/2636261002/

The aircraft will be exposed to the world on 18th February 2019. At least a real aircraft carrying the famous BOAC livery (G-BYGC)!

Challenge for the skilled repainters please!

They best polish the belly, if it's done in silver or grey paint I will be disappointed! And very shiny gold paint is a must too! That goes for both the real one and any renditions for PMDG 😁 The engine casing should be bare metal on the bottom but potentially there's quite a bit of composite material on a RB211-524G casing that I guess would have be silver paint.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

On 6/23/2017 at 4:13 PM, egntpilot said:

I've just put a request in the repaint requests section of the forum, I'm adding a link here in case one of the highly talented painters who frequent this board might take a look.

Steve, your request for a BOAC livery is not as odd as some might think because you are not alone in hoping to see this one.  

Looking at the 747-8 liveries in my OC I can see one there for Pan Am, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if PMDG doesn't fulfill your request (and mine) one day, because it would not be fair to have one without the other, would it? 

The Speedbird colour scheme used on BOAC's original B747/100 series aircraft and narrow body fleets in the late 1960's and early 70's were quite distinctive and beautiful in my opinion. The only one to possibly compete with it since then has been BA's Chatham design; but when it was seen on Concorde I think they achieved the best of both worlds - a beautiful colour scheme on a beautiful aircraft!

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but none of us are mind readers and I am sure Dan meant you no disrespect.  His statement "BOAC became BA in 74, the B744 was launched in 89" is factually correct.  So instead of jumping down his throat when he said it was an 'odd request', perhaps a polite reply to enlighten him and explain to the rest of us why you made what I felt was a perfectly reasonable request would have been a better way to respond.  Life is too short to argue with each other when we all share and enjoy the same interest in flight simulation; but if you had asked for one of the '60's gharish Court Line liveries instead then I would definitely have had to agree with Dan - sorry!  LOL