Sign in to follow this  
Pete S

Got the dreaded OOM for the First Time!

I have never seen the Out Of Memory Error pop up on my system until today. 

I purchased and installed the KOKC Will Rogers airport from FSXScenery. The scenery pictures looked great, so I couldn't wait to try it.

When trying to start FSX in KOKC I got the dreaded OOM Error during loading of the scenery. I tried every trick I've seen trying to solve the problem (changed paging file size, reduced scenery options, etc)  but the OOM keeps reappearing every time I try to load KOKC.

This is the only scenery I have ever had any problems with!

I'm running FSXSE on Windows7-64, 16GB RAM .

Any suggestions?

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

strange  must  be  some  thing  wrong  than  shouldn't  really  get  a oom  warning  on  start up,  take  it  you posted  on the  forum or  support  where  you had  purchased  KOKC?  what happens  when  you load  your  sim  in another  airport  and  than    go  to KOKC

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

9 hours ago, Pete S said:

When trying to start FSX in KOKC I got the dreaded OOM Error during loading of the scenery.

If you disable KOKC and go to KOKC, the sim does not crash?  This obviously indicates a problem with the installation of KOKC.  One possibility would that your anti-virus or anti-malware program saw a virus (false positive) and quarantined a file.  The scenery may not be compatible with DX10 and you have DX10 Preview enabled.  Page 30, AVSIM CTD Guide provides even more possibilities.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Actually FSX starts up fine and is running, the OOM Error only shows up during the loading of the KOKC Airport. All other airports load fine.

It is obviously the new KOKC scenery that is the problem, so it must be a VAS problem, but what can I do to try ands solve it? I tried different fixes  found on the Internet but none helped so far.

I contacted support at fsxcenery, but haven's heard back from them yet.

I'm just wondering if anyone here may have a suggestion for solving the problem.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Pete, suggest deactivating your anti-virus, downloading the original file from your account, uninstalling and reinstalling the product, then reactivating anti-virus.  I would suspect VAS if you were saying that the OOM happens after a very long flight to KOKC, but not when one just loads the airport.  I agree with Pete Kelberg's and Jim Young's recommendations.  You can also email ferangel2000@hotmail.com for support.   

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

6 hours ago, Pete S said:

Actually FSX starts up fine and is running, the OOM Error only shows up during the loading of the KOKC Airport. All other airports load fine.

It is obviously the new KOKC scenery that is the problem, so it must be a VAS problem, but what can I do to try ands solve it? I tried different fixes  found on the Internet but none helped so far.

I contacted support at fsxcenery, but haven's heard back from them yet.

I'm just wondering if anyone here may have a suggestion for solving the problem.

I just looked up the scenery on Simmarket and in the review a guy named Tom gave the first and only review and said he was having the same issue.

The only two things that I can think of that would cause this are: 

1. The whole scenery is make using 32bit and/or large 4096/2048 textures, which would cause a large amount of VAS to be used.

2. There is something wrong with some of the exclusions or added vector data he might have included.

Did you look to see what size and compression the textures are in the texture folder? In the Scenery folder you could try eliminating some of the files that look like .cvx and maybe some of the bgls and try starting to see if it's one file that is causing the issue.

I don't have the scenery so it's hard to trouble shoot it without seeing the files and textures included.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am in communications with Fernando, he suggested a few things, but unfortunately nothing is working. Nothing jumps out as excessively large in texture and Scenery folders. I have other FSX sceneries that are very dense and memory hungry, but they all run on my system, without too many problems other than an occasional "slide show". 

For some reason this particular scenery is the only one that will not load without OOM error message.  So I uninstalled it and reverted back to my old KOKC by Cavusim.

I am seriously considering moving on to P3D v4 because it is now an actual 64 bit flight sim. which gives it a future.

I'm just wondering how much of my present inventory I will lose by switching from FSXSE to P3Dv4. Will most of it install and run in it?

Changing sims is a major event, especially if a lot of what I have is unusable, but at least I know all my ORBX stuff will work! :biggrin:

Pete S.

Most of your scenery will still work in P3Dv4.  All photoscenery too.  Aircraft and some airports require updates (FSDT/FlightBeam have already issued updates).  Aircraft need updated gauges so none of the FSX aircraft will work unless it has been updated for V4.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, good to know.

Pete S.

Also, as of now, all the ORBX airports and Vector can't be installed. But they're working on the update for the ObjectFlow issue and it shouldn't be much longer. It will be interesting to see just how much VAS P3Dv4 uses at KOKC.........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I resolved my OOM problem!

Got the P3Dv4, it not only allowed me to load the beautiful KOKC by Fscenery, but for the first time I can fly just about anywhere with smoothness and no blurries I never thought possible! The ORBX sceneries that work with v4 got loaded by FTX Central without any effort.

I am really impressed with P3D, I'll just port some of my FSX stuff to it, until I build my new system and switch to Windows 10 in a couple of months.

• Upvote 1

Pete S.