Sign in to follow this  
Guest Longbow

Recording FS videos

Guest Longbow

How can I record movies in FS2004? I know i can use FRAPS but that takes half of my frames away from me. Is there any other solution? I have seen lots of videos with very smooth frames, but this isnt how mine turn out using FRAPS. I read somewhere that you can dump the video stream to your DV Cam, anyone have any idea on how to do it? Also, does anyone know how the FS videos from the VOZ website are recorded (they have very nice FPS)?Thanks for your help,NickMy System:Pentium 4 3.2GHz1.5GB ram2 200GB SATA HDs128mb ATi Radeon X300/X550 Series19" UltraSharp Dell MonitorSaitek X52 Joystick

Guest koorby

Hi there Nick,I made all my VOZ and BEV videos using FRAPS on my Dell laptop. It's pretty easy to get full frames and to make it smooth. It's all about tuning and a few simple tricks.Here's a few tips:1. Run FS9 in fullscreen mode at 1280x720 (or 1280x768) resolutions2. License FRAPS - you will be able to capture at full screen3. Turn off about 30-40 of the WIndows XP services that it does not need - use a utility like FSAutoStart to do this4. Use a video editor like Ulead's Video Studio 9 - there's a free demo at www.ulead.com5. Turn OFF Anti-Aliasing and Antistropic Filtering (AA and AF) and lock the frames at 25 FPS. When mastering video, use PAL settings, not NTSC.6. Lock FRAPS frame rates at 25FPS7. Set MIPS to 4, Lights to a max of 6.8. Set weather visibility to max of 30m/48km - that's very much like the real world and will make things very smooth9. Do not, repeat NOT use cumulus clouds in your weather and avoid overcast conditions. VOZ has a very video-friendly weather theme included, called "koorby clouds 1", try using that one.There you go, you should get an improvement using those tips. There's lot's more you can do but those are the main ones I can think of for now.

Guest Longbow

Thanks for the tips, koorby. I already do most of those things and my frames hover around 15fps when i use FRAPS. This isn't bad at all but i dont get the full 25 that im looking for. Vauchez from www.flightscenery.com makes wonderful videos that have very high FPS and he mentioned the fact that he dumps his video stream onto a DV cam so it has no impact at all on his frames, I was wondering how this can be done. Im also wondering how the Flyhalf's "BIG IN VOZ" video was shot, there are some amazing camera views, do you know if he uses Active Camera or another Camera mod? Does he use FRAPS as well?Thanks for your help, I will make sure to try out all of your tips.