Sign in to follow this  
Holger

New freeware meshes of Alps and Himalayas

Hi all,since this seems to be the day for announcements of new scenery stuff... ;-)I'm in the process of uploading a couple of new terrain mesh packages. The first one will cover the central ranges of the European Alps and the next set will greatly improve most of the major peaks in the Himalayas. Note that these are "just" mesh files, not complete landscapes like some of my other projects.What is different is that these mesh files are *not* primarily based on the "buggy" Shuttle Radar (SRTM) data that tend to have big holes everywhere where it's interesting, that is on ice-covered peaks and sharp ridges. Instead, I'm using "hand-made" source data that I discovered by chance a couple of weeks ago.Jonathan de Ferranti has been carefully processing topographic maps for a large project unrelated to flight simulation and has kindly given me permission to compile these data into freeware mesh files for FS. Big thanks to Jonathan!Look for the first two files, alpse_fe.zip and alpsw_fe.zip, here in the library soon. More to follow.Preview screenshots are available here - http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?p=298792#298792 - and that thread also contains a link to an extensive set of comparison images for those wondering whether it's worth the download ;-)Preview screenshots of the Himalayas project can be found here: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=48520Enjoy!Cheers, Holger

Guest Peter Sidoli

Holger Fantastic :-)The Alps in all their glory is a dream come true. Are you going to cover the whole of the Alps rather than part.PeterThanks :-)

Hi Peter,sorry, I guess my description of the coverage area was a bit misleading. The two packages together actually cover about 80% of the Alps; not included are the lower foothills along the "fringes". Those areas don't have any missing data in the SRTM data and thus there was no need for Jonathan to generate his custom elevation models, which is a very time-consuming process. In other words, any available freeware or payware SRTM-based terrain mesh can be (and should be) used as a base together with our files.Cheers, Holger

Wonderful news, Holger.A tip o' the cap to you!Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I've been waiting for this for a long time! I'm downloading the Alps right now--I guess I know why I finally switched to broadband Internet a few weeks ago! Great work!-JohnEdit: Just installed the first half (the Swiss/French half). This exceeds my wildest dreams! Outstanding effort!One final Edit--link to some screenshots:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=225145&page=

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

>Hi Peter,>>sorry, I guess my description of the coverage area was a bit>misleading. The two packages together actually cover about 80%>of the Alps; not included are the lower foothills along the>"fringes". Those areas don't have any missing data in the SRTM>data and thus there was no need for Jonathan to generate his>custom elevation models, which is a very time-consuming>process. >>In other words, any available freeware or payware SRTM-based>terrain mesh can be (and should be) used as a base together>with our files.>>Cheers, Holger Mr. Holger, Hello I just ran across this and this is really gonna make me a happy camper... I have done some hauls in these mountains a few times quite challenging. I was wondering what would be a good freeware base terrain mesh you would suggest to go with the rest? Thanks A Bunch, Josh

I already have Swiss Professional, is it obvious which are the files for the French Alps? John

Thank you Holger! I was about to purchase Raimondo Taburet's new 38m Alpine terrain mesh when I luckily saw your thread of a freeware mesh.

Rune B.

Guest Vilk

another stunner! 90-metre data were not doing the french and italian alps much justice--now they're something elsethanks!vilk

Guest Voodoo

Thank you very much Holger and Jonathan. I have been waiting for a 38m mesh for the Alps. Only problem I have is, that I have to study for my geograhpy tests next week, so I won't be able to check out the new mesh before the end of next week :(.Christianhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/chrismo/sigsky.jpgVacation: wasted time between 2 flights!

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Hello I just ran across this and this is really gonna make me a happy camper... I have done some hauls in these mountains a few times quite challenging. I was wondering what would be a good freeware base terrain mesh you would suggest to go with the rest?Thanks A Bunch,Josh

Thanks Holger,What (if any) edits do we need to make to the fs9.cfg file to see this mesh? I recall that there was a number that one could change on one of the variables that made FS display the ground in higher mesh resolution, but I've forgotten what it is (the mind is the first to go :) ).Thanks, Bruce.

Bruce,Take a look at the readme included with the mesh--it discusses the setting which needs to be changed and the installation instructions. -John