Sign in to follow this  
Holger

New freeware meshes of Alps and Himalayas

"You might want to fix Salzburg though.... :-)"You can patch that in case Holger can't fix it right away by putting a flatten after the mesh entry in your scenery.cfg. It's not perfect, but will provide a pretty quick fix and makes the problem all but invisible unless you fly right over the spot:Flatten.0=2635,N47 44.07,E13 0.03,N47 44.07,E12 59.84,N47 44.24,E12 59.84,N47 44.24,E13 0.03-John

Hi all,thank you very much for all the kind words; I'm glad to hear that you agree that Jonathan's data offer a great improvement, especially of the main mountain peaks and ridges.Sorry about the bug near Salzburg. I'm working on a small patch file that will take care of that. I will let you know once I've uploaded it.As a freeware mesh for Europe I can recommend Yohann Baptiste's SRTM series. He used the most recent Shuttle Radar data and the best available methods to interpolate or fill the many void areas in the data. I'm glad to see that it seems that our Alps mesh files is compatible with the upcoming Ultimate Terrain Europe: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...?TID=15478&PN=1John ("enyap"), as an owner of Switzerland Professional you should delete the two files mesh_SRTM2_Alps_SwissEast_LOD10.bgl and mesh_SRTM2_Alps_SwissWest_LOD10.bgl from your installation of alpsw_fe.zip.---As you can see on Jonathan's website - http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html - there are a number of other areas with highly detailed data. I'm currently working on the Himalayas and Sweden (there's a high-quality Norway freeware mesh available already; see http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search ). I might do the other areas as well but cannot and would not want to claim exclusive rights to these files so I encourage other freeware designers to get in contact with Jonathan (or at least credit him in the docs) and use his files for your own mesh/scenery projects. These data are a wonderful gift to the FS community!Cheers, Holger

Hi John,thanks for posting that work-around! I'm working on a small LOD11 mesh patch that will be a more permanent fix but that flatten entry is a great idea - thanks for sharing!Cheers, Holger

You're welcome.......... :)I've updated the flatten so it doesn't look like a "hole" appears in place of the World Peace Tower...Flatten.0=3100,N47 44.07,E13 0.03,N47 44.07,E12 59.94,N47 44.24,E12 59.94,N47 44.24,E13 0.03Flatten.1=2867,N47 44.07,E12 59.94,N47 44.07,E12 59.89,N47 44.24,E12 59.89,N47 44.24,E12 59.94Flatten.2=2635,N47 44.07,E12 59.89,N47 44.07,E12 59.84,N47 44.24,E12 59.84,N47 44.24,E12 59.89http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140933.jpg

Hi all,thanks, Brad, you're welcome!I've attached below a patch file based on Jonathan's adjustments to the source data. Alternatively, it's also available at http://forums.simflight.com/posting.php?mode=reply&t=48889To install, unzip directly into the installed "mesh Alps LOD10 by Ferranti & Sandmannscenery" folder.I will upload the patch with a read-me to Avsim but would like to wait a few days in case other issues are found.Cheers, Holger

Guest Tatu

Same here, the patch does not work. The peak changes... looks like in the shot John sent and sharper when you get closer. Maybe the different LODs are doing their tricks here.Anyway, I had a bit more time to look around and this is surely the best mesh for the alps I have seen. :-)Tatu

Hi there,du'h! That's what happens if one doesn't think through the use of nested mesh display in FS9 (and I should have approached the spike from afar rather than just saving a flight situation in its vicinity).As it is it's a neat educational tool for highlighting what many people don't realize when they ask mesh designers to provide very high-res mesh. My high-res LOD12 (9-m) patch gets displayed only in a radius of about 5-6km before FS switches to the next lower available mesh, which happens to be the original LOD10 file with the spike.I'll try adding patches at LOD11 and LOD10 but it may be more reliable to add a sloped flatten until I upload a new version of the entire mesh (there may be even better data available to me shortly).Cheers, Holger

Guest Dasher7

Hi folks!To celebrate my new gfx card (an agp 6600gt) and a working sim, I've posted a few screenshots from my flight, earlier.Check out the peaks, they're very finely defined, yet I was only on 80% detail on mesh and default terrain vertex level. http://www.aviology.dk/Mesh_Holger.htmENJOY! -dasher7

Guest Dasher7

EDIT: Hehe, I just found out I had still my textures on Vista Australis, that's why there's so much saturation, I didn't think of it right away because of a new graphics card.*********************************************:-lolHi HolgerYep, spikes are gone at Salzburg. Haven't checked the new mounts, but I'll bet they are there.Thanks,Dasher7

Hi Guys, Just tried Holger's Himalayan photo real textures. I'm getting really high frames rates - as much as 2x what I normally get (80fps!!!). #####? Not what I expected! Normally photoreal scenery runs like a dog. I did not expect it to run better than the default!Anyone else experience the same?Cheers,N.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals