Sign in to follow this  
cx777

No beacon lights after update

I'm afraid that didn't work for me, lower beacon still missing on my test scenario (UPS livery, KMSP) at 35-40 FPS unless it must initially load at that high FPS. I am affected by the dynamic lighting/panning issue, so my initial scene loads at less than 10 FPS and I only later get higher performance (after panning). To be clear, no beacon, no ground or body reflection but engine reflection is happening.

I did the delete suggestions that Ryan stated in his post, with no luck.

But, I did some looking around and here is some additional information.

-400 I have only lower engine splashes. No beacon light or ground splashes.

-400F I have a fully functional lower beacon, with ground and engine splashes.

Top beacon does not work at all for either version.

My framerates are 28-32 unlocked with all lights on, using dynamic lighting.

I do use PTA, but the problem is unchanged even after after reverting to default shaders and config settings.

I hope this helps.

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

Gents,

We have been running experiments on our machine to try and reproduce this issue.

We suspect that at frame rates lower than 21, the rendering of the beacon flash is occasionally out of phase with the screen update because it happens between render cycles and this causes it to appear to be missing.  At higher frame rates, this problem is mitigated because the render cycles are faster than the period of time that the light is illuminated.

Our experimentation has lead to this conclusion, we are interested in your observations to see if it supports what we are seeing.

Thanks!

Thanks Jason.  My frame rates (FPS) at KLAS or KJFK for example are running at ann average of 60.  I have a NVIDIA 1080FTW.

Thank you for looking into this.

Kind regards.

David Bell.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

We suspect that at frame rates lower than 21, the rendering of the beacon flash is occasionally out of phase with the screen update because it happens between render cycles and this causes it to appear to be missing.  At higher frame rates, this problem is mitigated because the render cycles are faster than the period of time that the light is illuminated.

Fascinating.  I do have flashes but they often skip a beat or two or three (frame rate lock is 20).  I've been told this is not a new problem, I just haven't paid attention to it before (because it's outside stuff).  I just ran some informal checks and noticed that it is not necessarily a higher frame rate lock but some numbers work better than others.  For example,  bad at 20 and 23 and not so good at 21 and 24 but pretty good at 22 and 25.  This makes sense.  A 20 fps frame rate is a frame every 0.05 s and the beacon appears to flash about every 3 sec so the trick is finding a rate that is not a harmonic of 3 sec., maybe?  Anyway, I'll stick to 25 fps (0.04 s) since it seems to give best beacon performance and still survive the performance penalty from overcast clouds.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yet at high FPS and on the 400F I was missing the lower beacon, and had had it before on the 400. There has to be something else at play. Refresh rate? I'm on G-Sync.

I tried switching to unlimited frames and still no dice.

Here are my settings:

https://goo.gl/photos/2BzsL84sPJgVkRaX6

https://goo.gl/photos/mjgui2ok7zyfhxge7

Can't figure out how to post from google. I'll keep at it.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Looks like the new installer fixed the beacon light issue for me! 

Same here. Didn't change anything P3D-wise and behold, the beacons.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I saw this just now when I ran the updater.  

Do I have to uninstall first before I run the new installer?

Please advise.

Wish it had said as much when I went to the updater.

Jack Sawyer

1 hour ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I saw this just now when I ran the updater.  

Do I have to uninstall first before I run the new installer?

Please advise.

Wish it had said as much when I went to the updater.

Yes, you need to uninstall the plane before you run the new installer. The latest update I saw in the Operations Center said the only way to install the update is via the new installer.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

2 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Yes, you need to uninstall the plane before you run the new installer. The latest update I saw in the Operations Center said the only way to install the update is via the new installer.

Thanks Kevin, I saw it too but it never said to uninstall.  Been waiting for a reply so now I can go ahead and do it.  Thank you.

Jack Sawyer

2 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thanks Kevin, I saw it too but it never said to uninstall.  Been waiting for a reply so now I can go ahead and do it.  Thank you.

It didn't? 

A few key notes on these new installers, if you elect to install them now:

• Completely remove the 747 and 777 you have already installed.  Do this for all of our sanity...
  • These installers will do a much better job of utilizing the standard ADD/REMOVE/MODIFY capabilities of windows installation
  • These installers will actually allow you to run a REPAIR on an existing installation- which can come in handy if you accidentally delete something critical.
  • These installers are designed to do a health check on a few key prerequisites that support activation, operation and interfacing of the product to your simulator and the windows platform.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle we must be looking at two entirely different screens.  I got a pop up notepad document that was maybe two sentences long and didn't contain this text.

Jack Sawyer

3 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Kyle we must be looking at two entirely different screens.  I got a pop up notepad document that was maybe two sentences long and didn't contain this text.

You mean this one?

PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II for Prepar3D v3 / Prepar3D v4

PLEASE READ:

We have made significant changes to the installation medium in order to ensure that users
get the proper prerequisites installed to support this product in operation.  To update to
this version, you must download the full installer from your account at PMDG's
eCommerce website.

There is no micro-update to give you this version, you must download the full installer.

Please follow these instructions:

1) Visit http://www.precisionmanuals.com
2) Log-in to your eCommerce account.
3) Click on "View Previous Orders"
4) Use this page to download the installer required.

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Yes, he pulled that quote off the official announcement thread:

In any event, any time a new installer is involved, you'll need to uninstall the whole thing and run the new installer.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.