Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

Steering wheel axis in Prepar3d V4

Hello, do we have a way to separate the "steering wheel axis" from the "rudder axis", so that these two axis can be moved independently? I don't want to use that trick in FSUIPC to make the steering wheel less and less movable as the speed approaches 60 knots...

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Do you mean the tiller?

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

If you have the paid version of FSUIPC you can set it up like this and you will control the tiller separately from the rudder. But the rudder axis will still control the tiller.

es0sUXk.png

there is a seperate tiller function in v4 which is used by aerosoft i believefor there tiller function. i dont know if pmdg uses that type of functionality.

I noticed this new input 2 days after purchasing FSUIPC5. Tried getting a refund since that is all I use it for. There was no refund option at SimMarket so I did not delve further into it. But there is a clear entry in the P3Dv4 regarding steering. So you can have a second controller active in P3Dv4, select this command and see if it accepts the controller axis and test it. To test it, taxi forward and move the axis while in spot view. The nose wheel should move to up to close to 90° (depending on aircraft type) and the rudder should remain straight. If that is the case you have your tiller (and a good replacement to the payware FSUIPC feature).

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Still lots of other uses for FSUIPC besides a tiller. Reverse thrusters for instance or grouping 4 engines to work with 2 physical throttles etc.

• Upvote 2

Out of interest, which hardware component are you using to control the tiller, if not the rudder pedals?

On 2017-6-25 at 0:05 PM, Slayer said:

Still lots of other uses for FSUIPC besides a tiller. Reverse thrusters for instance or grouping 4 engines to work with 2 physical throttles etc.

Very true. Also very worthwhile to allow you to use LINDA for much better button binding of non-standard controls on payware aircraft (and to replace the terrible software for the VRInsight MCP panels)

8 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Out of interest, which hardware component are you using to control the tiller, if not the rudder pedals?

On the X-55, I use one of the rotating dials on the right hand throttle for the tiller on planes that need it (and it conveniently has a notch at the centre position to make re-centring easy)

• Upvote 1

Mark Fox

46 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Another joystick...

Using a joystick the twist function can be used as a tiller.

On 6/25/2017 at 3:05 PM, Slayer said:

I know there are many more than the one thing I mentioned. That's why I said "what I use it for".

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Btw, going back to the original topic. I mapped the steering axis to the unused joystick, and it works like a charm. Wheel turns, but the rudder stays still. Outstanding.

The issue here is to move the rudder without moving the nose wheel... The pedals move the nose wheel only up to 8 degrees. If the pedals can move the nose wheel 78 degrees, it can be difficult to keep aligned with the centerline, specially on crosswind contitions...

For that to happen I believe PMDG needs to make it so we can turn it off, like Aerosoft has in their Airbus. And please can we have that PMDG?

• Upvote 1