Sign in to follow this  
Guest JimBrown

Full screen & undock popups

Guest thedoggg

Hi guys, I am new here but i just had to post as i do things a little differently and for me it is much better than running 2 screens in windowed mode. My setup runs in fullscreen mode with the screen stretched across both monitors. I have a Nvidea 6600 by Leadteck using "span" mode this allows me to use two monitors as if it were one widescreen monitor with 2560 x 1024 resolution. The only problems are the guages in the 2d panel are stretched oval. To fix this I resize the main panel and view so it only covers the first screen and put the gps,radios, etc. on the other screen by dragging and resizing.No need to undock as you are running fullscreen and can drag and resize like if it was only one monitor. The virtual cockpit and spot modes span both screens and looks really big. Would attach pics but don't what size screenshots are allowed on the forum and my screenshots are 2560 x 1024.

Guest JimBrown

Glad to see that I'm not the only one using the "span" mode to give me a 2560 x 1024 view.Here's a screen print from inside the default B737-400 virtual cockpit.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141021.jpgThe only thing done was to resize it. No cropping.You can bring up the gps, resize it, and move it anywhere. (The only glitch I haven't figured out yet is that when you bring up a 2d panel, such as the gps, in the VC, it is horizontally stretched.)Of course, there is the little matter of the vertical break between the two monitors, but I've found that I don't really notice it that much anymore. It works best with two LCD monitors that have thin bezels.I'm also considering doing some surgery on the monitors to close the break....jim

>>I'm also considering doing some surgery on the monitors to>close the break.>>...jim>Oooooo....please keep us posted on that little project. You'd think by now someone would come out with monitors with no side bezels.Matt

Have the same problem, but kinda fixed by redoing the process for each screen you want to move and MAKE SURE you click the second monitor so the lines show up on the moved screens, that must be a lock of some kind to hold them in plaace, I think this has something to do with the overall settings as well, but I am no computer expert......regards, RRL

Guest Tophatter

I have no problem using two monitors with full screen mode though I do have to move them over while in windowed mode first. One tip that I can offer is that I adjusted the window size and location (in the panel.cfg) of the ones that I move to the other monitor so that they will always show up in the proper spot and size when they are over there. When I start up FS in windowed mode I just undock the windows and drag them to the second monitor not worrying about position and size. When I go to full screen mode they all pop into correct position. Bud

Guest JimBrown

If I ever get around to it (and work up the courage) I'll post the details, including pics in all their gory glory. :-)...jim

Guest garwig2

Very cool, how does this affect FPS?

Guest garwig2

I'll throw in a few tips that someone might find helpful:1. I think it might help to make sure both monitors have the same settings (resolutions, video card options, etc.)2. Try messing with the positions you drop the windows in (on the second monitor). For me the windows end up in different places anyway, so you don't need to worry about placing them neatly when in windowed mode. Try dropping them all near the center or off to one side or the other and see what happens.3. I made a new panel with FS Panel Studio for my planes that incorporates all the extra windows into one window so now I only have to move one window. I've noticed that the number of gauges I put in this panel affects FPS, so be selective.

Guest JimBrown

I haven't noticed any FPS hit. I have it locked at 20. Still dips in complex areas or bad weather, but it did that with fullscreen in the "DualView" mode as well with scenery view on the left, panels on the right, before I switched to using VC's only.Oh, and I got TrackIR last week. Wonderfull immersion with this extra wide view. I'm lovin' it!...jim