Sign in to follow this  
TNguitar

No go for me and the Milviz Beaver. No night lighting

Went to a friends house yesterday to check out his Milviz Beaver, figured I would splurge for it if I liked it more than my Aerosoft oldie but goodie.

He has Win7 home premium 64bit and FSX acceleration just as i do.  I flew that Beaver for a bit and loved it.  The flight dynamics felt really good.  I was ready to buy that baby when I got home.  But just one test, I loaded up a night flight and NOTHING but a dark cockpit with nly lights around the GPS units, that was it.  My friend doesn't even care and he said he doesn't fly at night anyway. 

I worked on that thing for over an hour and could not get the night lights to come on.  The outside light worked fine, just no cockpit lighting.  I confirmed that the Milviz lighting service was starting up in task manager when I would load the plane.  There was no AV running as far as I could tell.  The lighting service was running fine in the processes list.  He had the option player controls all lighting checked in the realism settings, I tried both ways, checked and not checked, niether worked.    I right clicked and held it and turned the light fader knos all the way up that are under the gps unit, Nothing.

He happened to also have the Milviz Bobcat plane and darn if those night lights don't work either, which he also didn't even know about.  It uses the same Milviz lighting service, which again, was loaded up properly in the task manager when I loaded that plane up.

My friend doesn't even give a crap and says he only flies during the day anyway and is happy with the planes.  No way I am buying a plane where there are lighting troubles.  I read of other people with the problem and one said his was caused by a prepard migration tool problem, but this situation is with FSX Acceleration.   I also read that Feelthere (Wilco) products can mess with the XML file, and he does have the evolution Airbus by them, but I didn'tt know how to mess with that as I didn't want to screw his fsx up.

Anyway, what a bummer, I wanted that Beaver as I loved the flight dynamics but I am not gonna risk paying for it only to have the same trouble,

Wish I didn't care about night flying either, but I do.  Any suggestions as to what else I might try when I go back over there tomorrow?  Oh, and I reinstalled it and it found the XML tools file at the end of the installation just fine, and it said it was all good and did what it needed to do, so no errors with anthing on install with the XML tools update thing.

Thanks for any help.

• Upvote 1

Did you read the manual that your friend has?

Try that.  It explains what to do to make sure that the night lighting works as it should.   

It's likely that your friend isn't running the sim as an admin and that's causing the issue.

• Upvote 2

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

8 hours ago, Milviz said:

Did you read the manual that your friend has?

Try that.  It explains what to do to make sure that the night lighting works as it should.   

It's likely that your friend isn't running the sim as an admin and that's causing the issue.

I made sure of that too, i made sure the ua slider all the way down, fsx.exe as admin, even set the lighting service to run as admin.  His fsx is installed to basic C:/fsx, so that isn't it.  

My friend doesn't even care.  He doesn't mind me fooling with it to try and fix it, but he could care less.  Its definitely that lighting service as I just got off the phone with him and he also has the older Milviz 310 plane.  I had him load that up and the night lights work great, but we looked and it doesn't use that lighting service thing. Only his Beaver and Bobcat do.

Oh well, I'm always happy with my Aerosoft Beaver, but I would have enjoyed having that Milviz.  As long as my friend is happy to fly in daylight I guess that's all that matters for him.

The C310R is an older project that predated the new lighting system. The fact is that for at least the vast majority of users, the lighting system works "out of the box". The fact that it isn't working for your friend is an anomaly, and is no doubt "fixable" should he bother to register in the Milviz support forums where he could interact directly with the coder responsible for the system.

Just as a sanity check, you mentioned turning the pots for the lighting, but did not mention flicking ON the separate switches as well. Did you in fact turn on the light busses?

Likewise the fact that it isn't working for your friend is no predictor that it would not work for you. The odds are very high that it would work properly the first time around.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

The C310R is an older project that predated the new lighting system. The fact is that for at least the vast majority of users, the lighting system works "out of the box". The fact that it isn't working for your friend is an anomaly, and is no doubt "fixable" should he bother to register in the Milviz support forums where he could interact directly with the coder responsible for the system.

Just as a sanity check, you mentioned turning the pots for the lighting, but did not mention flicking ON the separate switches as well. Did you in fact turn on the light busses?

Likewise the fact that it isn't working for your friend is no predictor that it would not work for you. The odds are very high that it would work properly the first time around.

I had lights set to all be controlled by the pilot, so just hitting the L key turns all available lights on, but I also hit the light switches back and forth under the yoke, and also the circuit swtches under the radio on the right, I hit every switch I could hit.

No trouble with any planes on his system other than the 2 that use the lighting service, and that loads up and runs in the processes.

We both use win 7 and acceleration and both have several of the same addons.  I too would probably only fly during tge day 98 percent of the time, my friend is 100 percent day time as he has all that misty fiord Alaska/Canada stuff and flies in the mountains and he is in to it bad, so he is loving the Beaver for that and says he has zero interest in flying at night.  

He probably would have used that Beaver and Bobcat for years and would have never known the night lights weren't working in the vc.

I didn't get to go back over there yesterday, but may go tonight.  I can't stand for an fsx problem to defeat me like this.  I have always been able to fiddle and experiment and get stuff working, but this problem is a real head scratcher.  Im not gonna stop until I figure it out, but I also can't do anything to mess his sim up.  There has to be some things I can try without interfering in his flying.  If I fix it then I will buy that Beaver for the principle of it, lol

The one thing you really should not do is press the "L" key. Almost all of the lighting system is controlled by custom variables, and the "L" key can and will seriously get things "unsynchronized..."

In any event, getting support directly from Jon in the official Milviz Beaver Support forum is the absolute best way to get the issue(s) resolved. He's worked closely with those very few who've experienced some difficulty with the lighting system and managed to get them working.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Your friend will, of course, have to show his proof of purchase to do that...

• Upvote 1

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

On 6/27/2017 at 1:17 PM, Milviz said:

Your friend will, of course, have to show his proof of purchase to do that...

I gave up on getting it to work.  My friend, as I said, could care less so he isn't going to mess with anything.   He just isn't the type to go through any of that when he doesn't night fly anyway.  It was like pulling teeth to get him to sit on the phone with me and have him check his Bobcat plane to see if it used the lighting service.

I would have bought the Beaver but I am quite happy with my Aerosoft version anyway and if I couldn't get the lights working on his setup then it has to be something not obvious.  He must have a conflict somewhere and I have many of the same addons he does.   As long as he's happy with his purchase then that's all that matters anyway.  It was just the principle of it for me as I hate FSX to stump me on anything.  Everything you mentioned to try I had already read on the internet and none of it worked.

Maybe I'll give it a shot and buy it sometime in the future when I am sick of my Aerosoft Beaver, but I would have already bought it had Milviz simply kept their light system as it had been.  I looked at his 310 lights and can't imagine anything needing to be better than that. 

On 6/27/2017 at 10:45 AM, n4gix said:

The one thing you really should not do is press the "L" key. Almost all of the lighting system is controlled by custom variables, and the "L" key can and will seriously get things "unsynchronized..."

In any event, getting support directly from Jon in the official Milviz Beaver Support forum is the absolute best way to get the issue(s) resolved. He's worked closely with those very few who've experienced some difficulty with the lighting system and managed to get them working.

Yeah, I had read on some forum somewhere with this new Milviz lighting system to check mark Pilot controls all lights, but I tried unchecking it too,neither worked. 

MV support forum is the place to get this resolved.

Please contact me [kat at milviz dot com] for registration information.
If you require access to a support forum please provide proof of purchase plus your preferred forum user name.

While we do get a number of users who have problems, I cannot think of a situation where we were completely unable to help when they came to us on our forums. And the majority of our users don't have problems. That said, if a person will not come to us for help and let us check their setup over, we cannot do anything. Your call.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

I have had a post for over a week about my guage lights on my Beaver. I also have done everything by the book. I am stumped. I installed the new Otter today and same thing. Both have Milviz lighting service and both give me an eror when I try to open the folder. Code execution can not proceed MSVCP100.dll not found?

On the Beaver no guage lights, no map light, when cabin light is on my nav radio textures go bright, not lit up. Otter seems to be just missing guagelights and cockpit lighting, nothing changes with the nav radios on this one. 

This is now fixed ya?

I had VS 2010 64 or 86 I can't remember which one now and 2013 64,86 and 2015 64,86. I added 2010 64 or 86 and the problem seems fixed on both the beaver and otter. I was under the understanding that I only needed the latest VS and was confused on 64 or 86. I do not know if I need all 6 VS files but it is working finally. If this is the issue maybe it can be noted that one may need all updates to VS. I found a lot of posts on various forums about the issue but no clear explaination on how VS works or if you can run all of them. 

You need the correct version of VS c++ libs, not just the latest. Between x86 and x64, I have about 12 libraries on my PC to support the various add-ons I use. Good news is, once they'll installed you can forget about them.

Same is true for direct X and simconnect. Several versions may be needed to cover all the add-ons you have. No point in moaning about it. It is what it is. :ampun: 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)