Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

Commited to a CPU Upgrade because of P3D V4

Hi guys,

I am commited to do a CPU upgrade or a total PC upgrade with motherboard, just for P3D V4.

As you all know, P3D V4 is CPU hungry. It brings my 6700K easily to its knees. Running it with Process Lasso and using AM excluding core 0 and 1 from running P3D is giving me a nice performance boost. However, when flying I am getting 100% CPU usage all the time. It's like the CPU cannot take the weight of the entire world. My settings are medium, not too high not too low. Just to have a nice experience. Running all the addons is no issue, except when actual flying begins and the whole dynamic world starts to rumble. The CPU then starts to bash the 100% marker and my FPS begin to hover from 35 to 15 bottom, everytime the CPU hits the 100 marker my FPS halves in TWO!

I just see all cores on 100%, except the 1st one is on 98 or so. Looking at this kind of CPU usage we can safely say that P3D V4 is using all cores. Therefore I am committing myself to a Coffee Lake i7 Hexacore in the near future, or an i9 decacore. However, the last one mentioned is a low frequency chip. And P3D does not like those as well!

What is the best CPU to get for P3D V4? And no, the i7 7700K is not going to make the deal....

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

50 minutes ago, Piotr007 said:

What is the best CPU to get for P3D V4? And no, the i7 7700K is not going to make the deal....

So what do you want to hear now? :-)

I am also running on a 6700K and do not have problems. I am running on almost all sliders right in 4K, so your post doesn't make sense to me.

The i9 won't help you, P3D is still heavily dependant on single core performance even though it makes better use of more cores. More cores will help with texture loading, but not with FPS.

Too bad, the 7700 and the upcoming 7740 will still be the best, purely because they can clock so high. While P3Dv4 does a much better job at utilising more cores, it still seems straight IPC performance will still give the best experience. Else you need to wait for Intel's Coffee Lake, which will become 6 core as standard. Then we might see a very nice balance between cores and high clocks. A 6 core at 4.8-ish+ would be nice. 

All the other new CPU releases focus on loads of cores which will hurt their potential overclock, which hurts their overall efficiency in P3D. The new 7900X 10-core monster will easily get towards 90c when overclocked and stressed, even with an AIO, so that's not really a comfortable solution.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

5 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Too bad, the 7700 and the upcoming 7740 will still be the best, purely because they can clock so high. While P3Dv4 does a much better job at utilising more cores, it still seems straight IPC performance will still give the best experience. Else you need to wait for Intel's Coffee Lake, which will become 6 core as standard. Then we might see a very nice balance between cores and high clocks. A 6 core at 4.8-ish+ would be nice. 

All the other new CPU releases focus on loads of cores which will hurt their potential overclock, which hurts their overall efficiency in P3D. The new 7900X 10-core monster will easily get towards 90c when overclocked and stressed, even with an AIO, so that's not really a comfortable solution.

Alright, then I wait and see the Coffee Lake which also will be a LGA 1151 chip.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

8 minutes ago, swiesma said:

So what do you want to hear now? :-)

I am also running on a 6700K and do not have problems. I am running on almost all sliders right in 4K, so your post doesn't make sense to me.

The i9 won't help you, P3D is still heavily dependant on single core performance even though it makes better use of more cores. More cores will help with texture loading, but not with FPS.

Okay, true it runs nice on 6700K. But with what added to the P3D V4 standard flavour?

What addons do you use?

I have;

- ORBX

-PMDG (both)

-Ultimate traffic Live

-Flytampa Airports ALL

-FSDT Airports ALL

- some Aerosoft airports

-Activesky SP4

-ActiveSky Cloud Art.

--------------------------------

When having all those in the mix I get 100% cpu load. FPS are STILL nice, but I get 100% CPU sprints at land/heavy density airports.

I am going to get the 7740K and overclock the heck out of it!  In my opinion, none of the other new processors with more cores are still not going to beat it in gaming performance.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Wait until 4.1. They are supposed to be working on better multicore support. (Core 0 loading at 100% with remaining cores at 30%.) Threadripper may become an alternative. 

1 hour ago, Piotr007 said:

Hi guys,

I am commited to do a CPU upgrade or a total PC upgrade with motherboard, just for P3D V4.

As you all know, P3D V4 is CPU hungry. It brings my 6700K easily to its knees. Running it with Process Lasso and using AM excluding core 0 and 1 from running P3D is giving me a nice performance boost. However, when flying I am getting 100% CPU usage all the time. It's like the CPU cannot take the weight of the entire world. My settings are medium, not too high not too low. Just to have a nice experience. Running all the addons is no issue, except when actual flying begins and the whole dynamic world starts to rumble. The CPU then starts to bash the 100% marker and my FPS begin to hover from 35 to 15 bottom, everytime the CPU hits the 100 marker my FPS halves in TWO!

I just see all cores on 100%, except the 1st one is on 98 or so. Looking at this kind of CPU usage we can safely say that P3D V4 is using all cores. Therefore I am committing myself to a Coffee Lake i7 Hexacore in the near future, or an i9 decacore. However, the last one mentioned is a low frequency chip. And P3D does not like those as well!

"What is the best CPU to get for P3D V4? And no, the i7 7700K is not going to make the deal...."

You didn't state whether you overclock.I have the i7-7700K, I don't overclock so I got the ASRock H270Pro4 mobo. Running at 4.2GHz, this processor is the best right now for gaming. Coupled with a 1080 card, believe me, with ORBX, ASP4,ASCA, EFASS NG, MyTraffic6 at 30%, Lorby Live Traffic, payware airports this baby with the card and P3D4 is sim heaven for me after years of running that 32bit bottleneck. Really though, the difference between these two processors comes basically in the standard clock seed of 4.2 to 4.0. But if you overclock your 6700k....

On the other hand, I've been chasing the CPU/graphics card nirvanna for years so I'm always looking to tweak things up a level but right now, running  XP11, P3Dv4, AF2 (VR) has been fantastic.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

1 hour ago, Piotr007 said:

Hi guys,

Do u have hyperthreading enabled?  Do u have an affinity mask tweak in your config?  Do u have a fiber frame time fraction tweak in your config? 

Matt Wilson

22 minutes ago, pugilist2 said:

I am going to get the 7740K and overclock the heck out of it! 

The 7740 might not be the steal everyone is thinking is.   It needs an lga 2066 socket which is a big-bucks Mobo. On that board, since you are using kabyX, you have the same 16 pciE lanes as z270, you loose the option to have 4 mem channels, like z270, and you need to modify or get a new cooler.  7740 is just a 7700k with igp removed and stuck onto a 2066 base.  Better to keep the 7700k and delid it for better thermal overhead or maybe go for the lowest lga 2066 six core.  At least then you can use quad channel memory!  Or wait a little longer and see how the AMD threadripper turns out!

• Upvote 1

I've been in the same boat on which chip and board combo will me the extra FPS increase that we all desire and I have come to the conclusion that I will wait and see. As it has been stated numerous times, P3D is single core by design. Sure you see other post on how users are seeing load balance on all cores but until LM makes changes your not going to see the massive FPS. As it stands right now the 7700k is still the top CPU for P3D. Anything else is just a waste of money and under utilized. I would also stay clear of the X series chips. Besides an over priced motherboard which you won't be able to use half the hardware due to the X chip, your again wasting money and not gaining performance. Remember when FSX first came out. It took several years before there was hardware available to run it the way we are now.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I have an i7 6700K clocked at 4.6 ghz. That is all I can get. From 4.7 ghz P3D V4 is crashing, I get BSOD with "interval clock 2nd core did not make it" or something like that. That is enough for me that I have hit a clear ceiling with these chips. A QC4 chip that can go all the way nicely to 5,5ghz would be the best is my bet. In the long run even that would be too small...

Beter have a cpu that can go to 6,0ghz. But that is a dream that might never come true. Perhaps in the year 2050.

I am now flying over the Atlantic, stutter free... 

Boy,

You should see me landing at KJFK later on. I post a new screenshot of my 15 FPS slideshow approach just for the heck of it. A world of opposites. Ow... not to forget CPU on 100% and freezes of 2 to 3 seconds!

I don't think you are going to feel good about the difference between a 6700k at 4.6ghz and a 7700k at 4.8 (assuming you are staying on air) nor going to a current i9 with a lower clock. 

Wait for Coffee Lake. While I'm tempted to upgrade my old 2500k at 4.6ghz to a 7700k, I'm gonna wait for the next release. The CL equivalent (8700k or whatever) should be a excellent overclocker just like the 7700k but also have 6 cores for a touch more future proofing. 

CL could be hear as early as this fall according to reports (Christmas at the latest). Intel wants to get them out there quickly now that a 10nm chip isn't coming this year but probably mid-next year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KenG said:

Wait until 4.1. They are supposed to be working on better multicore support. (Core 0 loading at 100% with remaining cores at 30%.) Threadripper may become an alternative. 

Where did LM state this?