Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

Commited to a CPU Upgrade because of P3D V4

2 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Where did LM state this? 

Would also like to know 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I'm not trying to kick up a fuss but for those of you who are performance oriented (this thread), please consider (it will cost $50 though) trying Aerofly FS2 on Steam. It is limited in scenery location of the photoreal scenery (mostly Southwest US and Switzerland/Austria by ORBX) but really shows what a newly designed graphics engine can do for flight simulation. Many of you with CPUs at 4.5Ghz or so will see >200 fps on a single HD monitor. These framerates permit very smooth VR performance as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/434030/Aerofly_FS_2_Flight_Simulator/

I'm hoping that Lockheed-Martin will try to rewrite and optimize their graphics engine now that they are 64-bit. P3Dv4 has lots of promise but it needs to perform faster - especially for VR. Maybe my point in this is that we don't necessarily need faster CPUs - just optimized software!

• Upvote 2

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

17 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

I'm not trying to kick up a fuss but for those of you who are performance oriented (this thread), please consider (it will cost $50 though) trying Aerofly FS2 on Steam. It is limited in scenery location of the photoreal scenery (mostly Southwest US and Switzerland/Austria by ORBX) but really shows what a newly designed graphics engine can do for flight simulation. Many of you with CPUs at 4.5Ghz or so will see >200 fps on a single HD monitor. These framerates permit very smooth VR performance as well.

And then you'll end up with a glorified VR demo, starved of content with shallow, mediocre stock planes and poor weather representation. Everybody knows what a newly designed engine can do, the problem is, we aren't getting that and the amount of content we have now. To enjoy all that high-quality third party content, that has taken upwards of a decade to emerge, mature and saturate the content market, then we need to use engines that really start to show their age. Yet people are willing to accept that trade-off because they'd much rather fly around a fully fledged simulator, that caters for their specific needs and can offer them exactly what they are looking for. 

Aerofly 2's engine has a lot of potential in the future but those 200FPS are completely and utterly pointless without content, without all the addons people use. 

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

5 hours ago, Piotr007 said:

I just see all cores on 100%, except the 1st one is on 98 or so. Looking at this kind of CPU usage we can safely say that P3D V4 is using all cores. Therefore I am committing myself to a Coffee Lake i7 Hexacore in the near future, or an i9 decacore. However, the last one mentioned is a low frequency chip. And P3D does not like those as well!

Affinity mask of 116 ( cores 2,4-6) moved this issue from core 0 to core 2 for my i7 7700k overclocked 4800 & GTX 1070. This completely removes P3D from the physical first core, saving it for Windows. Process Lasso only for Priority Class = High and Classify as a High Performance process = Check. I am still testing, but with almost all to the right I'm getting above 50 fps into cockpit with all available ORBX, AS16, Miami v3 and Miami City X, almost no stutters and a better manage of this 100% issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/570x5ma6ffic6kv/Screenshot 2017-06-25 13.32.12.png?dl=0

Mario
------------
Hardware: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero + AMD 5900X, G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32Gb DDR4 3200MHz, MSI RTX 3080 Ti
Software: Windows 11, Prepar3D v5.3HF2

Do you think that if you get a 5.0Ghz+ capable CPU, that your Task Manager will show you less than 100% on Core0?

I can't really say for sure, as I don't have a chip doing 5.0+, but no matter what I do in P3D, my 6700K is *always* at 100%.

And I think the reason for that is leveraging texture loading (fibers). It is always pushing the Core0 to max, but you can limit how much goes into texture loading by using FFTF, for instance 0.01.

You might get blurries, so going up is advisable, but using 0.01 will give you nearly same max FPS as unlimited FPS do - a bit hard to explain in couple of sentances here, but take my word for it.

If you are getting 15fps at landing, then yes, either your GPU or CPU is not enough, that much is clear. Then getting anything faster will provide you better FPS... but let's put things into context:

Coffee Lake is rumored to be 30% faster than 6700K, so even if you achieve that, which I highly doubt, we are talking about theoretical boost from 15 -> 20 fps.

Wow.

I am just saying be careful not to give a lot of money for just a mediocre result. Or maybe you just have too much money. Also a possibility.

Btw. right now doing LOWW -> KLAX in PMDG777, and my Core0 is at 100% when limited to 20, 30, 60 or unlimited. And in all that time my 1,2,3 cores are working considerably.

What are the biggest CPU hogs in P3D V4? I would be very happy to turn those off. No matter what I try. The CPU runs to a max of 100%. Ultimate traffic is set at 90% airlines and 60% GA. The strangest thing is my CPU load is hovering between 55% and 100%. That is a huge discrepancy. What on earth...

So each time it hits for a sec. 100% I get a massive stutter. But what causes such a moment load?

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

4 minutes ago, Piotr007 said:

What are the biggest CPU hogs in P3D V4? I would be very happy to turn those off. No matter what I try. The CPU runs to a max of 100%. Ultimate traffic is set at 90% airlines and 60% GA. The strangest thing is my CPU load is hovering between 55% and 100%. That is a huge discrepancy. What on earth...

So each time it hits for a sec. 100% I get a massive stutter. But what causes such a moment load?

Autogen and vehicles (traffic, boats, cars, AI...). You wrote your problem - your FPS go hand in hand with those settings.

The CPU WILL always run at 100%.

Is your CPU load hovering 55%-100% as a sum as in one window, or are you seeing 4 graphs?

2 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Autogen and vehicles (traffic, boats, cars, AI...). You wrote your problem.

The CPU WILL always run at 100%.

Well, then the sim is un-enjoyable without all those and I can stop investing more in it.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

You have to balance it - give it as much as you can, and see what FPS you achieve. Going 90% on AI and then wondering why your FPS is low is just meaningless.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Piotr007 said:

Well, then the sim is un-enjoyable without all those and I can stop investing more in it.

You do that. 

• Upvote 1

I run on an i7-3770k at 4k resolution with extremely heavy add-ons and I don't have much problems. Maybe you're expectations are a bit too high.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

17 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I run on an i7-3770k at 4k resolution with extremely heavy add-ons and I don't have much problems. Maybe you're expectations are a bit too high.

Or it remains stuck on 99% loading land, sea and air traffic... when you try reduce settings before final approach... sigh. This is useless.

Flying over Providence 110nm or so short of KJFK. Making adjustments in the settings and whole thing just hangs at 99 PERCENT. Just insane, makes me insane time to quit for a week cooldown. Just too much...

I'm curious to know what your P3D settings are, sounds like you're running with all the sliders and options all maxed out.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I'm curious to know what your P3D settings are, sounds like you're running with all the sliders and options all maxed out.

Haha, no. I will post the settings. Makes me sick, it is medium. Just ridiculous.