Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

Commited to a CPU Upgrade because of P3D V4

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

ONLY if the software is designed to utilize them. Without that there will be little difference.

Vic

It already utilizes them but it can utilize them more if thats what u mean and with a 6 core u can dedicate 1 core to windows and u still have 5 cores for p3d 👌🏾👌🏾

2 hours ago, oscarduran10 said:

It already utilizes them but it can utilize them more if thats what u mean and with a 6 core u can dedicate 1 core to windows and u still have 5 cores for p3d 👌🏾👌🏾

Well, it really doesn't utilize them well. The MAIN threads are all on core 0. The other cores are used for scenery loading etc but the main stuff is on 0. Putting windows on 1 will still load the main threads on the next core and max it out. For example on my 4 core system, core 0 is almost always maxed with P3D and the other three are only used about 50% maxed. So, if I had two more cores I would gain nothing because my other three cores aren't being utilized fully.  If they can split the main processing threads off to other cores, that would be very good.

But a 6 core, by itself won't make THAT much of a difference.

With all that said, I am not in the same class as Steve W when it comes to core usage. If I've misunderstood, I am hoping he'll set the record straight.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

15 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Well, it really doesn't utilize them well. The MAIN threads are all on core 0. The other cores are used for scenery loading etc but the main stuff is on 0. Putting windows on 1 will still load the main threads on the next core and max it out. For example on my 4 core system, core 0 is almost always maxed with P3D and the other three are only used about 50% maxed. So, if I had two more cores I would gain nothing because my other three cores aren't being utilized fully.  If they can split the main processing threads off to other cores, that would be very good.

But a 6 core, by itself won't make THAT much of a difference.

With all that said, I am not in the same class as Steve W when it comes to core usage. If I've misunderstood, I am hoping he'll set the record straight.

Vic

Well Im personally getting a 6 core because i have seen what affinity mask can do 

27 minutes ago, oscarduran10 said:

Well Im personally getting a 6 core because i have seen what affinity mask can do 

ok, enjoy.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I think the additional cores are good in some situations, like @vgbaron says especially in loading scenery. I see all my 8 (virtual) cores at 100% in some special circumstances.

But only in very rare occassions. More cores would definitely help in those situations. But more cores means at the moment lower speeds, and as was stated too, single core performance is still key in P3D v4.

On 25/06/2017 at 2:19 PM, Piotr007 said:

Therefore I am committing myself to a Coffee Lake i7 Hexacore in the near future, or an i9 decacore. However, the last one mentioned is a low frequency chip. And P3D does not like those as well!

Hi ya.  The i9 7900X is not a low frequency chip - it can easily be overclocked to around 4.7GHz or more depending on motherboard and cooling.  Lots of reviews available - have a Google.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

4.7+ Ghz on these parts are on mostly press parts (hand-selected samples sent specifically for review purposes) and in some cases on very expensive custom cooling loops. Allot of times these parts are also not placed in a case which will restrict airflow and trap heat. 4.5Ghz is more likely average on a through the market part and a good AIO water cooler in a case like the average person will actually use the part.

On 30/06/2017 at 0:36 PM, KenG said:

4.7+ Ghz on these parts are on mostly press parts (hand-selected samples sent specifically for review purposes) and in some cases on very expensive custom cooling loops. Allot of times these parts are also not placed in a case which will restrict airflow and trap heat. 4.5Ghz is more likely average on a through the market part and a good AIO water cooler in a case like the average person will actually use the part.

Uh huh - and 4.5GHz is a very respectable overclock with 10 cores and 20 threads.  And, to be fair, if you buy one of these chips, you've paid for an expensive motherboard too and probably an expensive custom loop for cooling.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

If p3d's bottleneck is single core ability, I think 4790K has the best single core?

On 7/2/2017 at 10:59 PM, adyfoot said:

Uh huh - and 4.5GHz is a very respectable overclock with 10 cores and 20 threads.  And, to be fair, if you buy one of these chips, you've paid for an expensive motherboard too and probably an expensive custom loop for cooling.

And get around god damn 500 watt only on CPU itself with a mobo only provide 8pin power connector? Think twice.

Considering that this topic is since June I guess problem is solved....I am with 6700 and indeed I am at 75% average and all add-ons...I thought that is concern but I see 6700K has bigger issues....

Alex