Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Dear PMDG - What does 64bit allow you to do that you couldn't before

1 hour ago, Holdit said:

It's a frequent theme on AVSIM...

"Me got new thing. New thing real good. Die old thing, die!"

And they want the devs to drop the old thingy on principal and join them. 

Totally ignoring the fact that it's not a hobby for the devs but it's a real  job that puts food on the table! 

Supply and demand has and always will rule 

• Upvote 2

ZORAN

With every evolution comes improvements. So also for P3DV4. It may take some time for the industry to figure out how to maximise the utilisation of this new product. But i feel sure it will arrive in due course. 

Keep flying..:biggrin:

Jan Stene

ENZV

Norway

The issue of 32 bit support only becomes a problem if it reaches the point where it's holding back development or forcing releases to cater to the lowest-common denominator to stay within an acceptable memory footprint.

(Or of course for smaller development groups, when supporting the older platforms places an unacceptable burden on their time)

Mark Fox

3 hours ago, Venturi said:

Supply and demand has and always will rule 

In the the technology field, at least the hardware, the supply has dragged the demand along by simply refusing to produce outdated technology after a few production cycles.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Well said Vic. I don't get it. I have FSX, FSX:SE, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, and X-Plane. I use all of them for various purposes, though some more than others. I'm not offended by anyone else's choice to use one of those, honestly. I think one of the crowds is a bit preachy, but that isn't to say the platform they're all into doesn't have its merits.

Yup!

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

I think the answer to the OP is 'wait and see', as PMDG is not going to give away some fantastic ideas they have had for years.

EFB/Navigraph integration comes to mind off hand. A PMDG quality 787 series would not likely be feasible in 32-bit, but 64-bit no problem. 

Plus they could not remove the huge VAS OOM section of the manual before - now they can remove it :biggrin: 

5 minutes ago, pracines said:

Plus they could not remove the huge VAS OOM section of the manual before - now they can remove it :biggrin: 

Or rename it to "How not to kill your simulator"

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2017 at 7:44 PM, PATCO LCH said:

Thanks Kyle,

Just as I thought P3D is mainly an engine for better eye candy. This for me does not justify the expense of a new SSD, the$200 licenses, repurchase of my PMDG planes and other expenses I calculate to exceed $1000. My sim experience will be better served by saving that money to put down on  my next rig.  Just my personal position so please folks, don't shoot me through with fiery darts.

May I add PMDG works miracles at giving very acceptable performance on modest systems and for that I am very grateful.

You are technically correct. P3D is mainly an engine for better eye candy. Just as FSX was, and FS2004 before that. However, the bit I think you are missing is that better eye candy is not about more pixels per inch or a wider colour palette, it is much simpler then that. The sim looks 'prettier' because it looks more like the real thing, and to look more like the real thing, it has to act more like the real thing. In other words, to improve the eye candy, they had to improve the sim.

Now obviously it is completely your choice about when, or even if, you want to update your sim experience, but given that the only two reasons to ever upgrade are to get access to something you didn't have before or to improve the eye candy, can I suggest a little eye candy experiment that wont cost you anything. Download the trial version for XP11 and take off and land on the default runway at dusk. This runway is neither straight nor level and is (IMHO) beautifully lit. There is a bit of fancy physics going on in the background but it is mainly just very impressive eye-candy. It made me go 'wow' and really increased my sense of immersion but if it does nothing for you, then fair enough, you have no need to look to P3D (or spend any money) yet.

5 hours ago, Paul_Smith said:

You are technically correct. P3D is mainly an engine for better eye candy. Just as FSX was, and FS2004 before that. However, the bit I think you are missing is that better eye candy is not about more pixels per inch or a wider colour palette, it is much simpler then that. The sim looks 'prettier' because it looks more like the real thing, and to look more like the real thing, it has to act more like the real thing. In other words, to improve the eye candy, they had to improve the sim.

Now obviously it is completely your choice about when, or even if, you want to update your sim experience, but given that the only two reasons to ever upgrade are to get access to something you didn't have before or to improve the eye candy, can I suggest a little eye candy experiment that wont cost you anything. Download the trial version for XP11 and take off and land on the default runway at dusk. This runway is neither straight nor level and is (IMHO) beautifully lit. There is a bit of fancy physics going on in the background but it is mainly just very impressive eye-candy. It made me go 'wow' and really increased my sense of immersion but if it does nothing for you, then fair enough, you have no need to look to P3D (or spend any money) yet.

Thanks for the info. I'm watching all this with interest. I just think I need a more powerful system first before I would see much advantage in investing in a platform upgrade.

Vic green

5 hours ago, Paul_Smith said:

Download the trial version for XP11 and take off and land on the default runway at dusk. This runway is neither straight nor level and is (IMHO) beautifully lit. There is a bit of fancy physics going on in the background but it is mainly just very impressive eye-candy. It made me go 'wow' and really increased my sense of immersion but if it does nothing for you, then fair enough, you have no need to look to P3D (or spend any money) yet.

True, the sloping runways are great, but the world is always summer and the model materials are not near state of the art and buildings look like cartoons.  There are pluses and minuses to both platforms.  P3D is designed to be a trainer and provides scenario creation tools unlike anything else available.  There are things you can do with P3D that most of us will never take the time to learn about.

Dan Downs KCRP