Sign in to follow this  
haeriphos

Altimeters near airports without weather stations

I've been running into problems with getting altimeter settings when I drop below FL180. If I call ATC and ask for one, they usually tell me it's unavailable because my closest airport doesn't have that information, which I understand. I'm assuming that in the real world ATC would give you some sort of interpolated barometer value rather than leaving at 29.92". I fly in X-Plane which does actually provide barometers at every single airport even if NOAA doesn't. Can P2A read from these values to provide me with a barometer? I have the weather source set to Sim but it still doesn't seem to be using them. Or, as an alternative, can it provide the altimeter value from the closest airport that does have one? Maybe respond with something like "Altimeter 28.56 from KABC 150 miles to the north."

P2A normally gives you the altimeter setting of the nearest airport that has one, or that of the Destination Airport if you're on an approach to it.

If you can email me a log file where you didn't get an Altimeter setting I'll see if there might be a bug causing this.

Thanks,

Dave

I found a bug that was the reason for not getting the altimeter when you were cleared below FL180.  That is now fixed.

I also made a few changes that should improve the odds of getting an altimeter when not near an airport with weather information, but it is still possible that ATC will not have an Altimeter setting for you in some situations, especially when flying to remote airstrips.  If there are no weather stations within about 150 miles, you will not get an altimeter setting.

The fixes will be in V2219.

Thanks,

Dave