Sign in to follow this  
Flyboy49

A dilemma

Hi, I have been simming since 2008. Recently i broke out my FSX Gold and ran it on my old i5 with a GTX 560ti and it was somewhat successful on Win7. Then i thought i would upgrade my computer to this. Intel(R)Core(TM)I7-7700 cpu@3.6Ghz 3601 Mhz 4 cores 8 logical processors with turbo boost.

Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB GDDR5 RAM. I have 16 GB of RAM and 2 1TB HDD plus a 250GB SSD with 170 GB left on it. After the build was complete the builder let me know that it was not completely compatible with Win7 and should upgrade to WIn10. He provided a link to upgrade for free from Microsoft. I really wanted to be able to run FSX gold Edition ,but now am unsure whether the boxed version i have will work. I'm looking for suggestions as to try running FSX Gold or should i look at some other sim options. FSX Steam, P3D, etc. Any advice graciously accepted. If i have posted in the wrong forum please  move me. Regards,David

Same specs and Windows 10, works for me.

Hi guys, Win 7 is not compatible it works but can not use updates . So what i was after is whether i would be able to run FSX Gold boxed edition on my Win10 after the free upgrade. It looks like i can. Any further info or links would be appreciated. Thanks

Looks like you have your answer but I have another question.

Why upgrade to such a great computer and yet not consider moving into the next generation of flightsims. LIke P3DV4 and XP11....they are miles ahead of the old FSX stuff.

I still have FSX installed on a separate drive but haven't fired it up in over a year.

cheers

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hi Bryan; That's what i was trying to find out. I thought that my vid card might be a little short on VRAM for P3D though. I looked at their specs for v4 and i believe it suggested 8GB of VRAM. Do you think i could run it alright with ehat i have.

FSX-SE for you would be a better option  your addons have better chance to work on the same platform, the only reason I still have FSX-SE in my PC is because my PMDG fleet but haven't used in months.  

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Here's my specs, 4 gig on my video card.

I am running P3DV4 flawlessly, Win7 Professional. I have sliders swung far right, meaning everything's max or near max.

I don't know that video card unless it has some sort of flaw can't see why it would not work well. I made sure that my video card, motherboard and memory worked well together when I build my rig. Generally speaking you have more processing power than I have.

INTEL® CORE™ I7-6700K Processor 8M Cache 4GHZ Base 4.2GHZ Turbo FC-LGA1151 Skylake
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I V2 CPU Cooler System LGA1151
ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 1PCI CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1 Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2133C15D-16GVR DDR4 2133MHZ 16GB(8GBX2)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 TwinFrozr V 1140/1279MHZ 4GB 7GHZ GDDR5 HDMI 2x DVI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
Corsair CS850M CS Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified 850WATT 12V Power Supply Unit
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64Bit DVD SP1 OEM
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive

I have a big tower, six internal SATA drives, one for operating system, others for data and one each dedicated for FSX, P3DV4 and now XP11. All my drives are regular HDs not SSDs.

I run two monitors in HD, one 40" the other 23".

I have external drives as clones of everything.

Oh and I run the turbo feature build into the MB and have mine set for a 7% overclock and set priority for my flight sim games when running.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

53 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Here's my specs, 4 gig on my video card.

I am running P3DV4 flawlessly, Win7 Professional. I have sliders swung far right, meaning everything's max or near max.

I don't know that video card unless it has some sort of flaw can't see why it would not work well. I made sure that my video card, motherboard and memory worked well together when I build my rig. Generally speaking you have more processing power than I have.

INTEL® CORE™ I7-6700K Processor 8M Cache 4GHZ Base 4.2GHZ Turbo FC-LGA1151 Skylake
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I V2 CPU Cooler System LGA1151
ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 1PCI CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1 Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2133C15D-16GVR DDR4 2133MHZ 16GB(8GBX2)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 TwinFrozr V 1140/1279MHZ 4GB 7GHZ GDDR5 HDMI 2x DVI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
Corsair CS850M CS Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified 850WATT 12V Power Supply Unit
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64Bit DVD SP1 OEM
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive

I have a big tower, six internal SATA drives, one for operating system, others for data and one each dedicated for FSX, P3DV4 and now XP11. All my drives are regular HDs not SSDs.

I run two monitors in HD, one 40" the other 23".

I have external drives as clones of everything.

Oh and I run the turbo feature build into the MB and have mine set for a 7% overclock and set priority for my flight sim games when running.

Hi again Bryan; The only difference i see is i will have the free upgrade to Win10, I don't think that would upset anything. I think i'll give it P3Dv4 a try. Nothing to lose they have a refund policy. By the way we are almost neighbours, I'm in Gibsons BC just across the water, Cheers, David

FSX Gold is not actually a version of FSX, it's a marketing package which contains both FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration (only one of which may be installed).  More accurate to identify the simulator as FSX Deluxe or FSX Acceleration. 

For those who may not be aware, FSX Steam (FSX:SE) is Acceleration with some important updates. I ran Deluxe and Acceleration for many years, and was tremendously surprised and very happy after moving to FSX:SE.  Using the Steam version is a slam dunk for me, not only because of the increased stability and performance, but also because it's a fast 1-Click install compared to the disk versions. 

Though I'm usually running P3DV3 and P3DV4, I still run FSX:SE for beta testing products and flying the Maddog and MD-11, and I'm very happy with it!

Best wishes everyone.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.