Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Weird shadow problem in P3Dv4

Take a look at this, I use ezdok 2.0 for my camera controls.  Everytime I hold middle mouse and pan the view the cloud shadows draw/disappear at the same time? 

Any ideas?

Thomas Derbyshire

I'm going to shamelessly barge in without helping because I don't know the answer to your question and I apologize, but I just wanted to ask about the dark blue top part of the sky, should it look round like this? I always wonder about this and meant to ask before.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Shadow display distance is causing it, as I use medium setting I have the same "issue"

Rado

Rado

i7 4770K@4,1Ghz HT on since release of MSFS
1080 Ti 11GB 
32GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung SSDs

55 minutes ago, radorabatin said:

Shadow display distance is causing it, as I use medium setting I have the same "issue"

Rado

Indeed, this is typical for low or medium shadow draw distance.

If set to High (not Ultra) and your weather program handles the weather, then the haze will mask this shadow draw border.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

cheers fella I'll give that a go.  I do have it on medium, is there a big performance penalty going to high or ultra?  Either way I'll give it a go.

Thomas Derbyshire

Depends on what other shadow options you have enabled and where you're flying. Big US metropoles or medium sized European capitals.

I fly only in the EU, and medium to high did not have signicant fps impact. I do not cast building shadows. All the other stuff I cast and the shadow quality is set to medium.

But as they say.... your mileage may vary... ;)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Changing shadow draw to high resolved the problem thanks.

Thomas Derbyshire

Do you guys know what impact shadows have on CPU usage?

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

i don't monitor GPU/CPU usage. When I notice that the sim is struggling, I temporarly lower some settings like shadows.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

4 hours ago, Piotr007 said:

Do you guys know what impact shadows have on CPU usage?

I would run P3D on your system with the shadows turned on to the max.  Check the FPS and/or set up FSUIPC to log your flights and check the avg fps usage during the flight.  Now, start the same flight with the shadows turned off and check the FPS and/or set up FSUIPC like I suggested before.  For me there is a major hit on performance and FPS but my system can handle it without any stuttering, blurriness, or other anomalies.  Still I keep the settings low. 

On your system, the hit may be greater depending on your other settings and addon's you have enabled and loaded. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have found that shadows are a huge hit to FPS, especially shadow Cast. With my gtx 670, I was only able to run aircraft cast and receive shadows, as cloud shadows pummeled my system. I recently upgraded to a 1080ti and now am able to enjoy shadows in all their glory. At first I ran all shadows to cast and receive, and although the system was able to handle it, the FPS would dip to the low 20s on takeoff roll and climb out in the VC. So I played around with the settings, and I unchecked vegetation and building shadows cast, and have them only receiving. That alone saved me 10 fps in external view, and 5 in the VC. If I also uncheck receive for building and vegetation, it only saved me 1 frame or so. And it looks weird having overcast conditions and the trees and buildings look like they are in the sunlight but everything else is under cloud shadow, so that 1 frame is worth having those objects receive shadows. 

I installed P3Dv4 yesterday and have the same issue.

I have shadow draw distance set to max.

whathever shadow quality I use i get the disappearing shadows when rotation the view, inside the cockpit and in external view.

I tried with as16 for v4  and without, same issue.

Any ideas ? 

I thinh there is no solution right now. Its a common issue coming from P3D v2. We have to wait if LM have any solution in further versions.

Regards,