Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Outerra progress update

HI!! Here is a new "Postcard" 😃

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This whole project will remain an enigma to me. I even bought Anteworld years ago in the hope a flightsim to emerge from it one day. These guys could blow away all our present sims including what I saw of previews of Deadstick and Flyinside - if they wanted to. But they obviously don't want to. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

17 hours ago, pmb said:

This whole project will remain an enigma to me. I even bought Anteworld years ago in the hope a flightsim to emerge from it one day. These guys could blow away all our present sims including what I saw of previews of Deadstick and Flyinside - if they wanted to. But they obviously don't want to. 

Kind regards, Michael

I think that at one time there was more interest, but now their business model seems more about taking the technology to the point that others can license it for such purposes. Probably safer for them than trying to enter this specific market themselves.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

29 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I think that at one time there was more interest, but now their business model seems more about taking the technology to the point that others can license it for such purposes. Probably safer for them than trying to enter this specific market themselves.......

Yes, that's my impression, too. But then I may ask myself, who doesn't any developer adopt that excellent machine and make a full-fledged sim out of it? Supposedly, because the whole development world is stuck in the 60%ESP-39%XP-1%AFS2 dilemma with no free valence for anything else.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Yes, that's my impression, too. But then I may ask myself, who doesn't any developer adopt that excellent machine and make a full-fledged sim out of it? Supposedly, because the whole development world is stuck in the 60%ESP-39%XP-1%AFS2 dilemma with no free valence for anything else.

Kind regards, Michael

Who would have the courage? Especially after seeing what happened to FLIGHT and now Flightsim World? 

How would you explain taking such a risk to shareholders, or even to yourself if it was your decision.. (and money)

In my viewpoint, the community has shown absolutely no general patience and willingness to nurture a new sim with funds from start to eventual maturity for any realistic length of time, especially considering the complexity of the endeavour.

I can't imagine how I would make a realistic business case for any sort of "full fat" sim to a banker or investor.

Something deliberately limited like Deadstick seems much more reasonable.

Devons rig

9 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Who would have the courage? Especially after seeing what happened to FLIGHT and now Flightsim World? 

Both Flight! as well as FSW had in common that they were not really different but just more or less new and slightly better (and in some respects even worse) incarnations of the old MSFS engine. It remains to be seen what would happen to a really new engine. Besides, both Flight! as well as FSW were badly represented to the community. I always was under the opinion the makers tried to withold information and not disclose their real intentions. But that's just my personal impression, and I may be a bit touchy there.

Besides Deadstick there's another aspiring sim made by Flyinside. From the few early videos I saw I can't say I am overwhelmed either, at least not in the way I am overwhelmed by the Outerra videos.

Otherwise you're certainly right. It's hard to imagine an enterprise to take the risk given the present environment. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

The amount of work required, team talent and money to be invested is just too important. Right now they are a 5 devs (maybe more) team, already supporting Titan as a client, + Anteworld as an internal milestone.
It's probably difficult enough for them to grow in scale (hiring x devs will not solve the problem, they have to find talents and train them), banking on an already very-competitve niche market would be suicide, at least in my opinion.

That said, Outerra has many links with the flight sim world (one of the founders worked on professional cockpits sims), and there is no doubt there will be a place for those who wants to use it as a flight simulator, either users or modders, maybe even devs. I think it's good to have applications not limited to flight sim taking inspiration from the hobby, even if it's not for aiming to be the "next" FSX.

Devons rig