Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Spoiler retraction logic

Hi chaps,

Just a quick question about the ground spoiler retraction - I know that the spoilers automatically retract having been armed for landing if engine 1 thrust lever is increased to a certain range to provide go-around protection, but after a normal landing, when you cancel reverse in the real aircraft, does the speedbrake lever automatically go back to the down position? Because that is what mine is doing at the moment and I suspect it's because of the way I have my controls set up - namely I enter reverse thrust with a button on my throttle quadrant set to reduce throttle quickly, and I cancel it by pressing a button set to increase throttle quickly. I think this might be causing the sim to think I'm about to go around when all I'm doing is cancelling reverse.

If, however, cancelling the reverse after landing causes the spoilers to automatically disarm and retract, however, then there's no problem. I suspect this isn't how the real aircraft works though.

4 minutes ago, rondon9898 said:

Hi chaps,

Just a quick question about the ground spoiler retraction - I know that the spoilers automatically retract having been armed for landing if engine 1 thrust lever is increased to a certain range to provide go-around protection, but after a normal landing, when you cancel reverse in the real aircraft, does the speedbrake lever automatically go back to the down position? Because that is what mine is doing at the moment and I suspect it's because of the way I have my controls set up - namely I enter reverse thrust with a button on my throttle quadrant set to reduce throttle quickly, and I cancel it by pressing a button set to increase throttle quickly. I think this might be causing the sim to think I'm about to go around when all I'm doing is cancelling reverse.

If, however, cancelling the reverse after landing causes the spoilers to automatically disarm and retract, however, then there's no problem. I suspect this isn't how the real aircraft works though.

I'm fairly sure that increasing throttle on ground with spoilers extended causes them to retract automatically, I don't think there's an issue here I think that's just how it works.

6 minutes ago, rondon9898 said:

after a normal landing, when you cancel reverse in the real aircraft, does the speedbrake lever automatically go back to the down position?

No - as you say, only when you advance the thrust levers beyond idle.

My suggestion is that rather than "Increase throttle quickly" you instead use the "throttle cut" command to cancel reverse :wink:

39 minutes ago, rondon9898 said:

I know that the spoilers automatically retract having been armed for landing if engine 1 thrust lever is increased to a certain range to provide go-around protection, but after a normal landing, when you cancel reverse in the real aircraft, does the speedbrake lever automatically go back to the down position?

Engine one or three out of idle. As Simon says, cancelling reverse alone doesn't make the speedbrake stow.

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

3 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

I cancel it by pressing a button set to increase throttle quickly. I think this might be causing the sim to think I'm about to go around when all I'm doing is cancelling reverse.

What might be happening is that pushing that button might be pushing your thrust out of idle enough to cause them to retract. In a situation like that, I normally just hit F1, which puts the thrust levers back at idle.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Marvellous thanks chaps, I knew it wasn't a bug or anything like that but just wondered whether this is supposed to happen in the real aircraft (pretty much certain it didn't) or whether it's because of my set up. Have just set the throttle cut command rather than increase quickly, so will see how it goes on my landing into Heathrow later on. Nice tip as usual Simon.