Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Austin's Blog...

Nice to browse thorugh it, down to 1989 :-)

http://austinmeyer.com/blog/

Interesting to read what he's been telling in his public talks about the improvements for XP11

http://austinmeyer.com/2017/01/05/x-plane-11-flight-model-improvements/

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Nice to browse thorugh it, down to 1989 :-)

http://austinmeyer.com/blog/

Interesting to read what he's been telling in his public talks about the improvements for XP11

http://austinmeyer.com/2017/01/05/x-plane-11-flight-model-improvements/

Great, Thank you Jcomm

In Austins newest blog entry, he tells a story about hitting a wake turbulence of a MD 80 in real life. Thank god he survived....

Tom

• Upvote 3

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

Interesting read about the wake turbulence... and very nice and handy way of depicting it using Xavion.

Thanks for the heads up.

cheers

-E

Enrique Vaamonde

Austin is not the first hit by a wake :) I like to see depiction of it in my Foreflight as well, but I wonder if he considers known wind condition which can make quite a difference where wake turbulence will shift 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

When do you think it will be implemented ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Austin mentions Beta 2 and also Beta 4 regarding the new / updated / more detailled modelling of propwash / slipstream effects... So along the XP11 run, I believe

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

27 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Austin mentions Beta 2 and also Beta 4 regarding the new / updated / more detailled modelling of propwash / slipstream effects... So along the XP11 run, I believe

And I believe you should look at the dates.

Austin was writing about the X-Plane 11 Beta Versions. We had 15 Beta versions. So I don´t really see any new informations in these statements, but they were new in january.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Longranger said:

And I believe you should look at the dates.

Austin was writing about the X-Plane 11 Beta Versions. We had 15 Beta versions. So I don´t really see any new informations in these statements, but they were new in january.

Indeed Karsten, my bad :-/

For a moment I thought the .02 after the 11 was indicative of beta 2 ... Duh!

So, they're all implemented long time ago... I wouldn't say so... Well....

Main Simulation Rig:

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

For a moment I thought the .02 after the 11 was indicative of beta 2 ... Duh!

So, they're all implemented long time ago... I wouldn't say so... Well....

Most of the changes Austin talks about in his blog post are planned for 11.10.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Pascal_LSGC said:

Most of the changes Austin talks about in his blog post are planned for 11.10.

Ah ! Thx Pascal. So when he mentions beta 4 regarding the "new" calculations for propwash effects, probably this didn't actually make it's way into 11 beta 4, and was somehow postponed to 11.10...

Let's hope this is the case... although I confess that I was convinced it had been modelled since XP10...

Main Simulation Rig:

You're welcome !

I'm not sure wether the enhanced spiraling slipstream has already been implemented. However, in the Flightsimcon presentation he talked about better account of negative wind, which should help taxiing and simulate special aerobatic cases. And the new PT6 engine is for 11.10 as well.

27 minutes ago, Pascal_LSGC said:

I'm not sure wether the enhanced spiraling slipstream has already been implemented.

Well, in a way they were all implemented in the Beta, but there is a difference between implemented and works as desired. Some of these elements were never implemented in X-Plane before. A large part of the later Beta versions were ratrher erratic behaviour changes in the flight model. Austin had to get something together that somehow works, but I think we all agree it is far from perfect, it is more controlable.

So I would expect that he willtry to refine all these changes in 11.10 (if he has the time between the new ATC and his Airbus). But I would be carefull not to get his old Blog elements into the equation. Those were his hopes, but it doesn´t always work as hoped.

• Upvote 1

One thing is for sure, and it was the Major change in X-Plane sin Austin introduced torque effects in XP9 - yes.... XP didn't take them into consideration before that, when MSFS, even if not in the most perfect way, was doing it for ages!

The one thing that really changed was the implementation of Murmur's finding about the double computing of prop torque in the FDM!  That REALLY made a change, but is NEVER mentioned by the LR team ...

Main Simulation Rig:

19 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Austin is not the first hit by a wake :) I like to see depiction of it in my Foreflight as well, but I wonder if he considers known wind condition which can make quite a difference where wake turbulence will shift 

he mentioned in the text that he uses the latest wind data from the nearest ads-b weather report and factors it in aswell

Ok,

just received confirmation this will be up for X-Plane 11.10.  Let's wait then !  Looks very promising to me.

Main Simulation Rig: