Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Prepar3D v4.0 Hotfix 1 released

4 hours ago, Jiri Kocman said:

GTX970  mostly performs as current low end cards, that is reality even it was expensive relatively short time ago. Lastest generation brings 70% higher perfirmance for same/similar price. Just midrange GTX1080 have mostly double performance than yours 970 and GTX1080Ti is close to triple performance.

v4 brings new features in and those features needs some extra perfromance even GTX1080Ti have not enough performance for maximum detail. I do not pretend that everything is ok and there is no room for some bug and some better poerformance in future, but currently dynamic lights needs huge performance.

Not true about performance gains in v4, when making that card switch. The GTX 1080Ti is a sweet card, and will improve your performance quite nicely, but it's nothing like triple, or even double, the P3D v4 performance.

Source: upgraded from 970 to 1080Ti two weeks ago, and did quite a bit of testing.

One thing I can say is that my 1080Ti doesn;t seem to be worried at all about dynamic lighting.

But the GTX 970 is still a pretty good card, I probably wouldn't have upgraded if I wasn't flying near-exclusively in VR.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

14 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

According to @Twenty6, some people have trouble boiling water.  

I think I can help those people out...

How to boil water in a v4 kettle: 

1. Open the kettle lid.

2a. If there is water in there, proceed to step 2c (there is no need to uninstall existing water prior to this upgrade).

2b. Find a tap (should be on your sink). Turn counterclockwise, if in northern hemisphere. Ensure kettle is underneath. Install new water into kettle. 

2c. Replace lid on kettle, ensuring that is in fact the correct lid.

3. Ensure that power to house is on (check switchboard)

4a. Plug kettle in to wall (look for two or three holes in the wall, that match the plug).

4b. If plug does not fit, it may be designed for use in a different country, or you may be plugging it in to something that is not a power socket. Please call tech support.

5a. Find switch next to plug on wall. 

5b. Switch this up to ensure kettle is off.

5c. Wait TEN seconds.

5d. Now move switch into downward orientation. CAUTION: Electricity may now be flowing into kettle!

6. Push switch on kettle, and look for activation light.

7. Wait until you hear a bubbling noise. v4 kettles will automatically turn off at this time. 

8. Place your hand in the the water. If very hot, you have - most probably - successfully boiled water!

Next week:

Tweaking your kettle for faster boiling performance. Note that this may make your kettle cease to function altogether, at which time you will likely decide to post - in rather a lot of threads on this forum - about how the v4 kettle is absolute rubbish.

:biggrin:

• Upvote 4

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

22 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

You absolutely want this HotFix, there are probably several 3rd party content providers waiting for it's release so they can release/update their products.  Some key issues were addressed especially around SimConnect.  But for the most part none of my add-ons have any issues (Virtuali, FB, Orbx, PMDG, Alabeo, Carenado, ASP4/ASCA B6383, CS, Aerosoft, UTL, etc. etc. etc.)

The Client Installer is probably all you need for the most part, but LM also made a few changes to Content but be aware any time you use the content installer you may need to re-install 3rd party content (especially those NOT using the Add-Ons process).

Performance in this build is better on my PC, but nothing was listed as performance improvements so I'm a little puzzled, perhaps the fixes to SimConnect resolve some excessive SimConnect data chatter?

Cheers, Rob.

I (humbly) declare Prepar3D v4.0.28.21686 (Hotfix 1) the smoothest FlightSim EVER, to me all the way from MS Flight Simulator 2000.

Happy simmer here,

(AS16+ASCA, PTA 2.51, Envtex, ORBX FTX global + LC europe, LC North America, FTX Trees, FSDT GSX).

Cheers,

• Upvote 2

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

4 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Tweaking your kettle for faster boiling performance.

Is there a release date yet for V4.1 Kettle?

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

8 minutes ago, ffantasy67 said:

I (humbly) declare Prepar3D v4.0.28.21686 (Hotfix 1) the smoothest FlightSim EVER

Me too, I did change my AffinityMask (running 8c/16t CPU) so as to only use 8 real cores which I guess is perhaps where I'm seeing the performance benefit (far fewer long frames)?  But build 21686 is golden for me with my AM adjustment.  My main FS system is running so well with P3D V4 and many add-ons (including Dynamic Lighting), I'm almost hesitant to change out my 5960X for my 7900X that just arrived today (still waiting for motherboard and water block to arrive - tomorrow).

db5f69ade517b524230c0d6069286c30.jpg

Hoping for a smooth transition as this is my main FS PC.

Cheers, Rob.

Nice - I was eyeing that RAM as well!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just when I thought I have the fastest PC on Avsim, this guy shamelessly barges in to show off his new toys. Sigh. 

• Upvote 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

It does the funky RGB lights show thing that I'm fairly ambivalent about, but I couldn't find any other G.Skill option for that rated CL/frequency and I've good success with G.Skill and Corsair in my prior Asus motherboards.

Cheers, Rob.

I have the fastest potato in avsim! 
i7 960 3.2Ghz, 12GB RAM, Geforce 770 2Gb. 

Envy me, you lowly computer owners! :biggrin::laugh:

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, drcancerman said:

I have the fastest potato in avsim! 
i7 960 3.2Ghz, 12GB RAM, Geforce 770 2Gb. 

Envy me, you lowly computer owners! :biggrin::laugh:

I just upgraded from i7 920 and GeForce 760! 2009 build! My god what OOMs and slideshow that was. 

• Upvote 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

On 6/26/2017 at 0:15 PM, penta_a said:

Prepar3D v4 Hotfix 1 has been Released   (4.0.28.21686)  Please see the link below 

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/06/114375/

----------------------------

Moderators Note 

Only the Client Installer is required to update with the Hotfix 1,   Follow the steps to update with the Client  (In this order) 

Note: You need to Uninstall the existing Client First.   I have Included Images in the links 

1)  Navigate to your Control Panel,  Right Click on Prepar3D v4 Academic \ Professional Client click Uninstall 

You will now be given an option to  "deactivate Prepar3D v4 or not",  Click No,  By doing this you will not be required to reactive your License after the Client update    

2) Sign into your Prepar3D Purchased Downloads fill out the Customer Account Information with your Email address and Account Password

Click the little + to expand the Component Installers,  The Client is a stand alone Installer, Click on  Install_Client.msi to download 

3)  Navigate to your PC Downloads, Right click on the new Install_Client.msi click Install 

4)  Confirm the update was successful,  Launch Prepar3D  Click Help >  About Lockheed Martin, Here you can confirm you have the most recent version of Prepar3D v4

For a Complete guide Including Recommended steps to take after a client Update please see Here 

Well i am in need of assistance here; just went through steps 1, 2 & 3 making sure I selected "NO" off item 1. I think that was a wrong move, now on trying to reinstall the updated client i get an error "another version of this product is already installed. Too Bad.." Tried a reboot which didn't help. Anyone else hit this snag and figured a way around it less redoing the whole **** thing? I do have version 3.4 on this same PC/Drive could that be an issue here.

Pivot

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

2 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

I just upgraded from i7 920 and GeForce 760! 2009 build! My god what OOMs and slideshow that was. 

I'm running V4 around 10 to 30 FPS, depending where I am. And very moderately placed sliders too. 

At least the graphics card is helping it push a little, because I'm dreading on the upgrade costs! The prices I have to pay can be usually demonstrated by this. 
US Prices X 2.5 = MY real cost.
This 2009 build will have to last for a while! I can't even afford a gaming keyboard, and my space bar has been broken going on 3 years now. hahaha

But none of you have a potato, which serves as a gaming machine, and food! 
No need to feel envy, I'll let you guys touch the potato :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the helpful forum discussion. FYI I installed hotfix 1 tonight and noticed an undocumented change. Screen captures changed from JPEG to JPG file extension. It's the little things... :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pivot said:

Well i am in need of assistance here; just went through steps 1, 2 & 3 making sure I selected "NO" off item 1. I think that was a wrong move, now on trying to reinstall the updated client i get an error "another version of this product is already installed. Too Bad.." Tried a reboot which didn't help. Anyone else hit this snag and figured a way around it less redoing the whole **** thing? I do have version 3.4 on this same PC/Drive could that be an issue here.

Pivot

Not sure what your problem is, for starters you can run 3 and 4 together, there is no mistake when you elect to not deactivate. I am running FSX, VER 3 and VER 4 on the same drive. Are you sure you didn't uninstall the version 3 client by mistake ( I have done that inthe past, they are right there together in the list) sounds like it won't let you install the hotfix because you still have the 1st version of v4 client still installed.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon with Rob, before the hot fix my fps (unlimited) was 47 to 54 (with dynamic shine off) and now it is running mid fifties to low 60's with dynamic shine set at medium. Another oddity that i've noticed is that in version 3.xx I had to run capped at 30 or 28 with triple buffering and vysynch to alleviate stutters, not so in ver 4, I had to go unlimited to get rid of stutters--- I'm a happy camper

One other thing that I'm thinking about is that since Orbyx has been waiting for the update, other than the client and content upgrade, I'm going to go ahead and install the scenery also....it might be needed. (of course I may be lying) 

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's