Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

XP11 is simply the best...

How'd you get your tree overlays so accurate? Mine are all over the place and often in places they shouldn't be. In your shots, it looks like they are following the ortho perfectly.

28 minutes ago, Griphos said:

Your eyesight may be better than mine, but I'm not seeing three masted ships.  What I think you're seeing is a ketch or yawl rig with a jib or genoa flying.  That makes three sails, but not three masts.  

I dunno, it looks to me like the foremast is set too far back on the hull if it's just two masts. I think that model is a three-masted gaff rigged schooner, especially considering the size of the hull relative to the other boats, but I could be wrong. We need Ses to fly lower so we can settle this.  :biggrin:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, exodus1977 said:

I have x-enviro, but recently I've been enjoying the default clouds. They look really nice now.

What are all those white specs in the lake in the last picture?

They are different sorts of water craft.  Up close, they are clearly definable.  Skiffs, motorboats, run-abouts, sail craft...some bays are stuffed with them...and some, much less...

42 minutes ago, Griphos said:

:-)

Yeah, Ses, quit flying so high!  

LOL....normally keep between 2,800 and 3,500 for most flights.

Look at the pic two threads down... a sail and a run-about.

1 hour ago, sparkie66 said:

You've chosen to ignore content by Sesquashtoo. 

Ahhhh the bliss....🤣

So...you're within this thread, why?!? :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I dunno, it looks to me like the foremast is set too far back on the hull if it's just two masts. I think that model is a three-masted gaff rigged schooner, especially considering the size of the hull relative to the other boats, but I could be wrong. We need Ses to fly lower so we can settle this.  :biggrin:

I'll do some low fly overs...to show you that they are quite detailed...all of them. Even the run-abouts have a honkin' wake aft... :)  You can see the bow slats due to fiberglass layering....

Post Edit:  Here ya go...right upon the water....:

Left click on the pic twice to bring it to full screen....

Here's one near Lyon, France...sail craft fly over on final...

Cessna_172_SP_59.png

Near the mouth of the Detroit River...just east of it, on Lake Erie

Cessna_172_SP_seaplane_1.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

That's instresting

I just might just try that especially along the west coast of Michigan are the St Joseph up to Traverse city. I like to capture the towns along the cost.

Bob

Yep...I have all of that, the whole State of Michigan, tiles surrounding Chicago,  From Michigan, tile shoulder to tile, down to Alabama, the entire East Coast, three States West....thousands of solid uninterrruped square miles of ortho. On the West Coast, San Francisco, San Diego, coastal tiles three inward deep for Washington State, Have already taken shots of KORS! The entire Rocky Mountain chain as it sweeps south east.  The entire vacation Mexican Riviera....

I targeted tiles that had places that my wife and I have gone, by motorcycle tour, or general vacation, such as Myrtle Beach, major cities of California, Arizona, Cape Breton Island (mind blowing for a motorcycle tour!!!!) Those were the first tile generations.  In fact, because of my capturing and converting Myrtle Beach, my wife is now a serious flight simmer....that only became interested when she saw the ortho, and could immediately identify with it. I shot myself in the foot...seriously, on that gig.....before hand, she didn't much come into the Den...especially when I was 'playing' with the computer....lol.  Not so, now....ortho did me in.....

Western Europe:  Parts of France (Lyon) near the base of the Alps, and am going to grab parts of Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, and some islands of Greece.

That should keep me for awhile, lol!  All will be done at zl17/19/2.

2 hours ago, CarlosF said:

I think its a bunch of sail boats and some other types.

Correct...all types of sail, and motorized yacht and run-about's   I have busy oceans and lakes... :)

2 hours ago, bonchie said:

How'd you get your tree overlays so accurate? Mine are all over the place and often in places they shouldn't be. In your shots, it looks like they are following the ortho perfectly.

Nothing special, just my normal z17/19/2 ortho recipe. These shots had BI(ng) as the Sat source.

Ah, a schooner.  Not quite a three-master, but not your run of the mill modern sailboat, either.  

:-)

7 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

just my normal z17/19/2 ortho recipe

Not to wander OT but I'm having the same issue as bonchie. What do the 19 and 2 refer to? I wonder if that has anything to do with anything...

2 hours ago, garrett_frank said:

..... What do the 19 and 2 refer to? I wonder if that has anything to do with anything...

Hi Garrett,

Mitch is referring to the changes he has made with within his Ortho4XP.cfg file (located in the Ortho4XP folder). These changes set default zoom levels and coverage zones around airports when Ortho4XP is started and negates the need to manually set specific zl areas around airports (which can be a tad fiddly). 

The zl17/19/2 recipe is as follows:

zl17is the default that Ortho4XP will open with and use when downloading images. 19 refers to the zoom level of the image that Ortho4XP will automatically create in a zone around any airports located within the tile and 2 is the extent of the zone in kms.

This has the effect of giving excellent scenery clarity for general vfr work but also results in exceptionally crisp and detailed scenery around any airport that you are taking off from or landing at. The extent of the zone you might want to set is obviously a matter of personal choice but I find that 2kms is usually adequate enough without overly increasing the size of the downloaded tile.

Notepad++ is the best editing tool to use for changing this .cfg file.

zl17192d79df.png 

• Upvote 2