Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

XP11 is simply the best...

14 minutes ago, BobFS88 said:

Yeah Mitch I see.

Thanks again for the extra info. This is indeed good information to set multiple drives without resorting to a raid configuration. I haven't reach your level of scenery yet, but this Friday is my last day of working as an employee (retiring). I will have more time (if my wife would let me) and start working on the scenery and other things on X-plane. This is some much fun. 

At work, the guys ask me if I would be getting bored, I reply " our you kidding?" Waiting for Friday its like waiting for Chistmas to come for 3 years. I am having fun and there is so much to look forward to since X-plane is continually evolving.

Thanks again

Bob

"A most hearty Congrat's Bob!   Enjoy the not-having-to-get-up-in-the-morning-other-than-to-drink coffee-look outside-and-decide-what-you-are-gonna-do-that-morning" retirement effect...

:)

Mitch

Mitch

Thanks

Counting down the hours mind and secs and that clock ain't stopping. 😎

Thanks again

Bob

On 6/26/2017 at 6:34 PM, Sesquashtoo said:

Yep...I have all of that, the whole State of Michigan, tiles surrounding Chicago,  From Michigan, tile shoulder to tile, down to Alabama, the entire East Coast, three States West....thousands of solid uninterrruped square miles of ortho. On the West Coast, San Francisco, San Diego, coastal tiles three inward deep for Washington State, Have already taken shots of KORS! The entire Rocky Mountain chain as it sweeps south east.  The entire vacation Mexican Riviera....

I targeted tiles that had places that my wife and I have gone, by motorcycle tour, or general vacation, such as Myrtle Beach, major cities of California, Arizona, Cape Breton Island (mind blowing for a motorcycle tour!!!!) Those were the first tile generations.  In fact, because of my capturing and converting Myrtle Beach, my wife is now a serious flight simmer....that only became interested when she saw the ortho, and could immediately identify with it. I shot myself in the foot...seriously, on that gig.....before hand, she didn't much come into the Den...especially when I was 'playing' with the computer....lol.  Not so, now....ortho did me in.....

Western Europe:  Parts of France (Lyon) near the base of the Alps, and am going to grab parts of Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, and some islands of Greece.

That should keep me for awhile, lol!  All will be done at zl17/19/2.

Mitch

You were absolutely correct, This using Ortho imaging is so addictive that you don't want to pretend any more, you want the real deal.

So far I started building around the great lakes starting around Chicago through northern Indiana up to Traverse city Michigan. Took the Cessna up for a quick check of the scenery. I was able the follow route 94, route 12 and route 196 north to 31. Everything looks as is, you don't have to guess, or approximate what things are when you see them. I have W2XP America and I move just below one of the Ortho to compare the lakefront, and with the Ortho's, the parks along the lakefront look exactly how they should appear. Everything looks alive in the scenery.

How did you manage the lake water in your images.

One issue I am struggling at the moment is, is how did deal with the lake image. It seems that part Ortho's image are cut off in the deeper part the lake Michigan. Part of Lake Michigan around Chicago and Northern Indiana.

I need to experiment with those tiles to see how to fix once I get a chance. 

I working my way east and then south on the some of the routes I care about. I did some toward Iowa.

Bob

17 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

Mitch

You were absolutely correct, This using Ortho imaging is so addictive that you don't want to pretend any more, you want the real deal.

So far I started building around the great lakes starting around Chicago through northern Indiana up to Traverse city Michigan. Took the Cessna up for a quick check of the scenery. I was able the follow route 94, route 12 and route 196 north to 31. Everything looks as is, you don't have to guess, or approximate what things are when you see them. I have W2XP America and I move just below one of the Ortho to compare the lakefront, and with the Ortho's, the parks along the lakefront look exactly how they should appear. Everything looks alive in the scenery.

How did you manage the lake water in your images.

One issue I am struggling at the moment is, is how did deal with the lake image. It seems that part Ortho's image are cut off in the deeper part the lake Michigan. Part of Lake Michigan around Chicago and Northern Indiana.

I need to experiment with those tiles to see how to fix once I get a chance. 

I working my way east and then south on the some of the routes I care about. I did some toward Iowa.

Bob

Glad you are having a blast, Bob!

You'll have to show me what you mean about the Great Lakes...or Lake Michigan to be exact. I have a clean lake run...shore to shore.

For my water, I run with Complex Masks, and Use Inland Masks, always. 

"Yep..once you can actually see the real highway leading up to Traverse city, you can't go back. In fact...I can even see the parks that we take motorcycle breaks for the potty run...in my ortho's.  We are thinking of taking another wine-sipping tour with four other motorcycling couples as soon as can be arranged by all.  We love T. City!  We leave the bikes at the campsite, and have a driver pick us up for the entire day, and drive us around to each Winery on the Peninsula.  We enjoy our wine(s)...and get to keep our licenses as well for the ride back!"

One day, I'll get to go there for the Cherry Festival. I never seem to get the Missus interested at that time of year for the ride up...  LOVE CHERRIES!

Cheers, wine, or no wine...

Mitch

On 7/12/2017 at 3:59 AM, Sesquashtoo said:

Glad you are having a blast, Bob!

You'll have to show me what you mean about the Great Lakes...or Lake Michigan to be exact. I have a clean lake run...shore to shore.

For my water, I run with Complex Masks, and Use Inland Masks, always. 

"Yep..once you can actually see the real highway leading up to Traverse city, you can't go back. In fact...I can even see the parks that we take motorcycle breaks for the potty run...in my ortho's.  We are thinking of taking another wine-sipping tour with four other motorcycling couples as soon as can be arranged by all.  We love T. City!  We leave the bikes at the campsite, and have a driver pick us up for the entire day, and drive us around to each Winery on the Peninsula.  We enjoy our wine(s)...and get to keep our licenses as well for the ride back!"

One day, I'll get to go there for the Cherry Festival. I never seem to get the Missus interested at that time of year for the ride up...  LOVE CHERRIES!

Cheers, wine, or no wine...

Mitch

Mitch

Sorry it took so long to respond. I was working on this issue and I think I have it resolve.

The image below is what I what I was trying to fix. You can see the white edges cover most of the mid parts of the lake laving the shoreline untouch. 

Cessna_172SP_1.jpg

I use your setting and in this case along with changing the servers, after checking some of the solutions in the Xplane.org and running several test yesterday, I conclude based on my imaging by following these steps:

1)   Change "overpass_server_choice" from 1 to 3 in the the Ortho configuation file.

2)   For the lake front best appearance set the set Build Tile section,

Check "Complex Mask"  and use "Masks for Inland"

Change "Mask_width" from default 8 to 80   Change "Ratio_water" from 0.3 to 0.5.

I could tweak it just a little more but for the most I am pretty satisfied with the results.

For some reason, I could be wrong but the downloads form server 1 was not changing the edges in the lake no matter what I did. Not sure why but I saw a difference when change to server 3.

Below are the results of the correction I made. They look much better with maybe a little more tweaking of the shoreline but I they look great.

Cessna_172SP_4.jpg
Cessna_172SP_2.jpg
Cessna_172SP_3.jpg

Bob