Sign in to follow this  
Rene Billiani

Prepar3D v4.0 Hotfix 1

14 hours ago, mleuck said:

Everyone is a technical genius and tester! Just fly and quit worrying about your FPS. No one cares about your FPS except you and there are no awards for having great FPS.

It is funny that you say no one cares while you still post ;-). That is one, second of all of all the posts before you, they all cared. So the "No one, except" applies more to you. Furthermore I bet that you don't have a minimum spec PC, but the best one you are allowed to have because you too care about your gaming experience. 

This wasn't a lets compare FPS post, it was a post for those that have switched to v4 and are optimizing and tweaking their own PC's given the new and changing environment and updates. Just as users have been doing since the advent of discussion forums. FPS isn't affected by hardware only, but by in game settings too. And those are equal across v4, as is their impact trend,

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

15 hours ago, mleuck said:

Everyone is a technical genius and tester! Just fly and quit worrying about your FPS. No one cares about your FPS except you and there are no awards for having great FPS.

Uneducated comment.

Congrats anonymous, I think it's the worse of the month.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:58 PM, LH747fan said:

My feedback for the Hotfix:

Timm, confirm those FPS are during NIGHT?

If you do not experience the FPS drop with dynamic lights on, could it have something to do with your graphic card settings?

Could you please share your Nvidia Profile Inspector settings?

I have similar specs but I do have FPS drop in the night as reported by others from 30+ to around 18- FPS.

Thank you

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

2 hours ago, Meekg said:

Timm, confirm those FPS are during NIGHT?

If you do not experience the FPS drop with dynamic lights on, could it have something to do with your graphic card settings?

Could you please share your Nvidia Profile Inspector settings?

I have similar specs but I do have FPS drop in the night as reported by others from 30+ to around 18- FPS.

Thank you

I wrote the time as well to the FPS.
So yes, it was in the night.

Will post my nVidia settings later

• Upvote 1

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png
V1 Simulations | SimAware

Try a frame rate lock of 20.  Those drops into the teens will disappear I bet and animation is just as good at 20 as at 30 or higher.

Dan Downs KCRP

8 hours ago, LH747fan said:

I wrote the time as well to the FPS.
So yes, it was in the night.

Will post my nVidia settings later

Sorry I missed that, I guess it seemed too good to be true.

Looking forward to your GPU settings, thanks.

6 hours ago, downscc said:

Try a frame rate lock of 20.  Those drops into the teens will disappear I bet and animation is just as good at 20 as at 30 or higher.

Thanks Dan. It makes no difference in my case; in those situations where they would go below 20, it still goes below 20.

Besides, I might be crazy but I think I do see a difference in fluidity between 20 and above; maybe it's just psychological.

If some users do not face this problem, it must be something to do with their different settings.

Do the dev team has any insight information in regards or are they as clueless as we are? The silence is not really helping.

If they expect it to be fixed, I would be happy to peacefully wait, rather than try to figure out what's wrong with my setup.

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Just now, Meekg said:

It makes no difference in my case

Your display and display driver settings make a difference.  I cannot go higher than 4xMSAA AA setting for example.

Dan Downs KCRP

5 minutes ago, downscc said:

Your display and display driver settings make a difference.  I cannot go higher than 4xMSAA AA setting for example.

I use the same 4xMSAA; the FPS drop doesn't seem in any way linked to P3D settings (other than the dynamic lights activation of course).
I've tried changing all of them one by one with no luck... hopefully we can figure out if it's linked to some graphic card setting with Timm's help.

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Ditto,

I spent some time tooiling around today after reading an insightful post by Virtuali over at FSDT. It is indeed heavily dependent on AA and resolution. In small windowed mode it improved, also I run on a 55" at 4K. 

But Virtuali mentioned that times are changing and people expect to have the sliders set the same with newer versions and expect the same result. Which is not a correct statement. My SIM runs perfectly well at 4k with my 1060, but a requirement in performance of this magnitude for only a change in lighting is simply not correct so I still stand by PMDG's assessment regarding the SDK as opposed to FT and FSDT's stance. I guess we will wait and see. Because for me, turning off all AA/FXAA and lowering my resolution to 1920x1280 makes hardly any difference. Maybe and additional 5-7 FPS.

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

On 6/28/2017 at 5:25 AM, xkoote said:

No fps drop with all lights on? Wow. I just tested mine on the runway (32 FPS) and I still get the 15 FPS drop when turning on the landing lights. Do you get the drop when on the runway and turn landing lights on? Granted my videocard is a 1060 but still.

He has a 1080 rendering P3D v4 at 1080p. That right there is why he sees no impact. I also have a 1080 but I run the sim at 4k. 30fps/hz all day long under all conditions. All lights ON with the PMDG's kicks this down to 26-27 with the resulting stutter as Vsync no longer holds. 

The 1080 is made to render games at 4k and more than capable to do it under all conditions with stellar performance. The issue with dynamic lights is based on the fact that the v4 engine is rendering these lights out to the maximum possible distance. Even when only set to be visible a few hundred feet. I hope LM comes around to correcting this in 4.1

Example being a single landing light on the PMDG -400, which is only visible 100-200 feet. Yet the v4 engine is doing the math out to 10000+ feet, with the resultant impact. 

Only made worse by higher resolutions and AA settings. 

No issues with a 1080 up to 1440p. Above that you will be 3-4fps short of 30 at night with the PMDG aircraft. 

3 hours ago, calzonister said:

The 1080 is made to render games at 4k and more than capable to do it under all conditions with stellar performance. The issue with dynamic lights is based on the fact that the v4 engine is rendering these lights out to the maximum possible distance. Even when only set to be visible a few hundred feet. I hope LM comes around to correcting this in 4.1

The problem here is P3D is a simulator not a game, most games don't have anywhere near the calculations that P3D does. Plus, most games rely primarily on graphics card, P3D is heavily CPU based too.

Interesting post Calzonister. Did not know that the rendering distance is what the main problem is right now.

Thanks

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

21 hours ago, downscc said:

If you are using TrackIr 20fps is unusable. 

After the very last update released by PMDG yesterday, I reinstalled both the 777LR and the 747.

Now I just did a quick check again and here are my results:

FlyTampa Dubai Gate A1, PMDG 777-200LR at 14:00 o'clock: 45 Frames
FlyTampa Dubai Gate A1, PMDG 777-200LR at 04:00 o'clock with all lights on: 45 Frames

My current settings and nVidia settings:

ihozul4g.png
uyzxiar6.png

jtinnrac.png

2kj8stjf.png
h76a8r9y.png
8dzqsbg9.png

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png
V1 Simulations | SimAware

Timm, thank you... it looks like the problem is solved! :ha:

I don't know which of those settings I changed made the difference but one of those definitely did.

I'll keep you guys posted if I find out more!

Mike

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

On 6/30/2017 at 9:58 PM, PMDG777 said:

The problem here is P3D is a simulator not a game, most games don't have anywhere near the calculations that P3D does. Plus, most games rely primarily on graphics card, P3D is heavily CPU based too.

Unless you work at Lockheed Martin you have no idea if the dynamic lights can be made to be less of a fps hit - David Lee