Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Scenery.cfg Priorities

Guest w2sjw

Just a quick question - I have FSGlobal 2005 & UT:USA. I've also downloaded the freeware LOD10 terrain for the Phoenix area from the library here. I want to make sure I put the 3 in the right priority order:1 - UT:USA2 - Phoenix_303 - FSGlobal2005 NAMI know the FSG terrain is LOD9, so the Phoenix_30 has to be above it, but I'm not real sure about where UT:USA goes in the mix.Lastly, I'm seriously considering SimArt - Phoenix. Is that package just ground textures, or is it a landclass upgrade as well (that would mean I wouldn't need Phoenix_30 anymore)?Thanks in advance!Scott

Hi Scott,UT is a replacement of the default landscape files so I keep it far down in my scenery library, just above the 39 or so default entries.The LOD10 mesh will automatically override the LOD9 mesh so it doesn't matter where the two entries are in relation to each other. However, I keep all my global LOD9 mesh files at the very top of my scenery library. That way, any add-on that includes and requires its own (LOD9) add-on mesh will use it (because mesh display priority is inverse to other scenery elements: the lower entry in the library of mesh with the same LOD will be used).In short, the relative position of your three packages would betop - FSGlobalmiddle - Phoenixbottom - UTAs for SimArt's Phoenix, its main feature (I believe) are the photoreal ground textures. They will override any of the regular landclass textures in the coverage area. I also assume that it comes with its own LOD10 mesh file but am not sure. The prodcut page should give you more details.Hope that helps.Cheers, Holger

Guest semm

I arrange all of my sceneries into priorities but then when I run fs9 it rearranges them to suit itself. Is there away around this problem

Guest w2sjw

Holger,Thank you very much! I was not expecting that kind of order, but your reputation with scenery proceeds you, so I will not question your advice!!!Just to make sure I have this right, please take a look at this picture of my scenery order...Scotthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141000.jpg

Hi Scott,that's exactly the way I would order the settings.If my explanations above don't make sense to you (or anyone else for that matter) then you SHOULD question them. Even people with a good reputation (thank you for that!) get things wrong and a discussion - along with tests on your own system - is the best way to prevent wrong advice from becoming gospel just because some bloke with a reputation suggested it ;-)Cheers, Holger

>The LOD10 mesh will automatically override the LOD9 mesh so it>doesn't matter where the two entries are in relation to each>other. Other than finding the author's description, is there any way to tell what LOD a mesh scenery file has been built to - any test tools for instance?Bryn

AFAIK, simArt Phoenix consists mainly of photo tiles. It also moves all the default scenery objects to their proper locations and adds detailed autogen to the photo tiles. I think most addons for the Us assume that 38m mesh is going to be used. In the case of photo tiles, better mesh is always helpful, since you aren't going to move rivers to match the mesh for instance.I found some problem with default small air strips not aligning with the photos. Also, I tried to be very careful in an analysis, but it seems like some of the photo tiles are not properly located, in reference to "ground truth" as represented by the USGS DOQQ tiles. Some these horizontal postioning erros were confirmed by also comparing to NGA DAFIF runway data (though I have learned that DAFIF can't always be trusted, in this case the DAFIF and USGS data agreed). I think Art was going to fix some of these airports (AFCAD) but that isn't alwys the easiest thing when they are mis-positioned.LWMViewer2 provides mesh LOD data.scott s..

Rule of thumb:Ordering should be (top=higher, bottom=lower priority/level):MeshSceneryLandclassThe higher the priority, the higher the importance in FS and the more likely a certain section will be used.Caution: the reverse is true for landclass: the lower the priority, the more importance!Higher DEM mesh always overrides lower regardless of the priority level.The situation gets problematic when several landclass files or scenery with files with the same DEM for the same area are in one folder. In this case I gess Windoze's cryptic filename ordering comes into play, but I'm unsure which file will win here...I consider landclass the biggest troublemaker because many install them in one folder only, so you end with various files for one and the same area, and who knows whether the result you see on the screen is really what you should get...Andreas

heh. Actually your post did confuse me. But I think I have it figured out now. In general, your "most general" mesh file should be on top (#1) position, such as global 76m terrain. Then below that, should be 38m files, and so on...Is that correct?Finally, if the most general mesh file should be on top, then why are the default FS terrain files at the bottom? Or am I remembering incorrectly (I don't have FS here right now).Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB