Hello All!

I recently starting flying again with P3D V4 and it doesn't look like my CPU is overclocked. I set it in the BIOS but nothing. The only thing that happens is the fan running at full speed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Capture.png

IMG_4909.jpg

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

CPU-Z shows your CPU is running at 4.4GHz, so what's the problem?

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

Yep - looks over clocked to me...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

4 minutes ago, lodestar said:

CPU-Z shows your CPU is running at 4.4GHz, so what's the problem?

Ok, I missed that, thank you!

Now how come the fan CPU fan runs at 100% always? I've tried to change setting in BIOS but it still runs at 100% when I OC. 

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

Just now, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Yep - looks over clocked to me...

Regards,
Scott

How do you tell? By the fan? Should I lower it to 4.2GHz?

Hi Clement,

Botton left of CPU-Z under "Clocks (core #0)" the "Core Speed" tells you what your CPU is actually doing... Looks like right around 4.4 Ghz...

As for lowering it - that depends on your core temps... I have a much older i2700K running at 4.7 Ghz and my temps stay under 80 C - been running like that for years... So 4.4 Ghz is a relatively light OC.... I have a big massive Noctua aftermarket CPU cooler on it... I'm no expert - but if you keep your temps under 80 C - that should be fine... Also - if the speed of your fans annoy you due to the noise they make - I also replaced all my case fans with Noctua fans as well - and they run MUCH quieter - if they run at full speed - that's fine with me...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott  

1 minute ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Clement,

Botton left of CPU-Z under "Clocks (core #0)" the "Core Speed" tells you what your CPU is actually doing... Looks like right around 4.4 Ghz...

As for lowering it - that depends on your core temps... I have a much older i2700K running at 4.7 Ghz and my temps stay under 80 C - been running like that for years... I have a big massive Noctua aftermarket CPU cooler on it... I'm no expert - but if you keep your temps under 80 C - that should be fine... Also - is the speed of your fans annoy you due to the noise they make - I also replaced all my case fans with Noctua fans as well - and they run MUCH quieter - if they run at full speed - that's fine with me...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott  

Thank you for your kind help!

3 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Clement,

Happy to help...

:biggrin:

Regards,

Scott

One last question, I'm running P3D V4 right now and my CPU is running at 4.4GHz....Is that normal?

Hi Clement,

Yeah - the way the OC works - is that the CPU only hits the top end of the OC when under load... When the PC is idle you'll see the clock speed back off to your base clock of 3.5 Ghz... P3D definitely loads your CPU up - so when running it - I would expect to see max clock... You should get another app to measure your CPU core temps... The whole deal with OC is you want to get your max OC set without your temps going out of control or the system becoming unreliable - the system crashes... My OC's are usually set it and forget it - meaning I do it once when I setup a new PC and typically that's one of the last times I mess with it... It's all about temperature control and cooling... The better you can keep the CPU cool - the more performance you will get from your machine...

The CPU's theoretically have safety devices built in to prevent you from doing damage - so - it should shutdown giving you a safety net while messing with it... 

I use CPU-Z - another program for temp monitoring - and a third program for stress testing... I can't think of the names of the other two off the top of my head - but some quick searches should yield some results...

Regards,

Scott

Here you go. Just took off from CYUL with FlyTampa and PMDG 777

Capture.png

40 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

massive Noctua aftermarket CPU cooler

Echo that too. Good choice. I have my i5-4670K at 4.4Ghz, no issues.

• Upvote 1

Hi Clement,

Yeah - looks good - the temp program I have measures each core independently - but from your app - looks like 70 C under heavy load ? That certainly seems acceptable to me - again - not an expert... I usually just change one thing on my Gigabyte boards to achieve my OC and let the mobo manage the voltages...

Regards,

Scott