Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

[P3D V4] Terrain&Water issue

This is the issue what I am having in p3d v4. I have ORBX installed. This is La Guardia for example. The problem is the terrain elevation and water transition, it seems the water is drawn too far "onto" the terrain. Any ways to fix this issue. This is only an example, I saw this at various places in the sim.

Thanks.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Try adjusting your mesh setting, 1m works better for runway contact in most cases, but it does have a tendency to cause water to merge upwards on terrain.  I believe Orbx recommend 5m for their products.  Are you running any other Mesh add-on like PILOT's Next Gen?  I believe PILOTs are working on a FTX Global Mesh edition for 2017.

There is also the possibility Orbx just need to correct that location, often if you provide Orbx with a screenshot including coordinates, they'll take note and adjust for future update.

Cheers, Rob.

37 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Try adjusting your mesh setting, 1m works better for runway contact in most cases, but it does have a tendency to cause water to merge upwards on terrain.  I believe Orbx recommend 5m for their products.  Are you running any other Mesh add-on like PILOT's Next Gen?  I believe PILOTs are working on a FTX Global Mesh edition for 2017.

There is also the possibility Orbx just need to correct that location, often if you provide Orbx with a screenshot including coordinates, they'll take note and adjust for future update.

Cheers, Rob.

I will look into the mesh setting then. ORBX is the only thing I got. No other Mesh add-ons.

EDIT: Mesh even to 1m does not work. I guess at best is to disable ORBX alltogether for the time being and enjoy smoother sim.

P.S.

Rob,

I read somewhere you've got an Octa core 5960X CPU.

How does the cpu perform in P3D V4 for you? I am running an i7 6700K at 4,5ghz with no affinity mask set. When I fly over KJFK I get lag graces, though majority of the time I get good fps. When I look at Process Lasso and everytime I see a moment of 100% CPU usage (on all 4 cores and 4 threads), I clearly see a moment of lag (2 seconds or so). 

Do you happen to know what is causing this load moment of 100% every 8 seconds or so?

I am thinking to get a 6-core CPU or even 8 or Deca core for P3D V4. My worries are that such an upgrade is going to be in vain and that even with a 10 core all cores will be 100% filled at full load. My reasoning is that such a scenario is highly unlikely as logic says more cores is more load a cpu can take?

That's why I would like to know your experience with the OCto core 5960X and P3D. Is it much better than a QC i7?

Thanks,

Peter

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

1 hour ago, Piotr007 said:

Any ways to fix this issue

I belive this will be fixed with ORBX Vector, it's not yet comaptible

2 minutes ago, lodestar said:

I belive this will be fixed with ORBX Vector, it's not yet comaptible

And Vector will generate even more CPU bashing I presume. I do not have ORBX Vector, I did not buy it, it was not compulsory?

6 minutes ago, Piotr007 said:

And Vector will generate even more CPU bashing I presume. I do not have ORBX Vector, I did not buy it, it was not compulsory?

No, it's not. But it has terrain-water transition realy nicely done, and elevation corrections. There is a performance impact, becouse it adds a lot of things(and sim looks beautiful btw), but you can disable anything you want in configurator

2 hours ago, Piotr007 said:

I have ORBX installed.

You have ORBX what installed?  Which product(s)?  ORBX is the company's name.

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

You have ORBX what installed?  Which product(s)?  ORBX is the company's name.

:laugh: that's what i wanted to ask too... But i realised it can be only global and openlc, and vector actualy solves this terrain-water transitions

51 minutes ago, lodestar said:

:laugh: that's what i wanted to ask too... But i realised it can be only global and openlc, and vector actualy solves this terrain-water transitions

It's like when people at work tell me they need help because their Microsoft or Adobe doesn't work...  :huh:

3 hours ago, Piotr007 said:

Rob,

I read somewhere you've got an Octa core 5960X CPU.

Just posted in another thread, yes currently my main FS PC is a 5960X @4.6Ghz ... but that will be short lived as my 7900X CPU arrived today so I'll probably be upgrading this weekend.  I sadly can't explain the P3D V4 21686 build is working so well for me in terms of fewer long frames other than my AffinityMask (8 real cores only, no hyperthreaded cores).  Anyway, the 5960X has treated me exceptionally well with this build and my long list of add-ons and very aggressive ASP4/ASCA settings.

Is this default JFK or 3rd party?  If your CPU hits 100% then you will start to see "lag" (very very long frames), what impacts the CPU the most is AG settings and 3rd party content and your location.  New York is obviously a very high density area, lots of AG.  There are other factors such as AI traffic and road traffic, they'll increase at locations like New York.

BUT, I have no problems dialing down my AG settings when flying complex aircraft (PMDG) in a highly populated location (large city) and flying into a very nicely detailed 3rd party airport ...if I were to guess those having performance issues are perhaps asking too much of their hardware with the graphics settings, location, and add-on choice, and AA settings.  But for those suffering with performance issues I would recommend you look at the following:

1.  Try out AffinityMask settings ... no harm is testing various settings

2.  Dial back your AG to Normal density and adjust AG draw distance and perhaps drop detail down one notch

3.  Don't enable Dynamic lights during the day (no point to it), don't use 4XSSAA or 8XSSAA if you have DL enabled and definitely NOT at any airport that actually has it's own DL

4.  Turn most shadows OFF during night flights with perhaps the exception of clouds and Aircraft Int/Ext ... not much point unless a strong moon is out and clear weather

5.  Don't use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 unless you have more than 8GB VRAM

6.  If you are exceeding your VRAM limits your FPS will drop significantly

There is no magic cure to Dynamic Lights performance other than shifting to deferred rendering and that can cause a slew of other issues and does NOT guarantee major improvements, only minor improvements.  High AA settings with dynamic lights can still kill FPS using forward or deferred rendering.  The only solution I can see for dynamic lights with higher AA settings are GPUs that are 200-300% more powerful, OR DX12 EMA mode with SFR and multiple GPUs.

I fly many platforms and enjoy them for what they offer, deferred rendering has NOT solved FPS problems for me on other platforms ... I reach my target FPS (30) by managing graphics settings based on location and add-ons used and my available hardware ... this has always been the case since about 2002.

Cheers, Rob.

OP, you keep posting about problems, but looking through your string of threads, it seems to me most of it is PBKAC.

Rob mentions using 5 meters in ORBX and you reply you have it set at 1 meter.

Stephen Forsgren

5 hours ago, BuddyDog said:

OP, you keep posting about problems, but looking through your string of threads, it seems to me most of it is PBKAC.

Rob mentions using 5 meters in ORBX and you reply you have it set at 1 meter.

Yeah I thought it would be even better, as it moves to the "right". I will have to tweak a lot more then. Do not know about the performance impact of DL though.