Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

NA Freeware Airports

I have noticed since doing some more GA that some Orbx listed NA Freeware airports are not valid.  For example, KOPF in Florida and KIGM in Arizona.  They appear to just be default airports.  The PDF for this product doesn't seem to indicate that it should be null and void (e.g., others that have been included in regions and removed from the freeware product).  I don't have the Vector product for FTX, just FTX Global and OpenLC (NA).  I'd pose this question on their forums but don't have a lot of luck with it when I do.  :-/

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I flew into KIGM last week... it was definitely ORBXfied for me.  Saw plenty of PeopleFlow, semi-trucks and cars parked near the runway, fuel and emergency vehicles and personnel, and GA as well as many (boneyard) heavies parked on the ramp.  I was quite impressed.  Like you I have Global and Open LC (NA).

HTH,

Greg

• Upvote 1

Well that's fantastic, lol.  I guess I'll search their forums and see if someone else has had this issue.  KDVT and many other ORBX airports work fine, so it's strange that some won't.  Thx

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

On 6/27/2017 at 7:33 PM, lownslo said:

I flew into KIGM last week... it was definitely ORBXfied for me.  Saw plenty of PeopleFlow, semi-trucks and cars parked near the runway, fuel and emergency vehicles and personnel, and GA as well as many (boneyard) heavies parked on the ramp.  I was quite impressed.  Like you I have Global and Open LC (NA).

HTH,

Greg

Is your NA freeware pack up to date?  Over on the ORBX support forum they're saying the products weren't complete and have likely been removed.  I have a hard time getting a response over there, but when I search the FTX Global folder and look for files associated with these airports, they aren't there.  Nothing for IGM or OPF.

- Chris

1 hour ago, Orlaam said:

Is your NA freeware pack up to date?

Yes.  I just checked my FTX Global folder, and like your system neither KIGM or KOPF are there.  I then searched my system for KIGM, and it IS in the FTX SoCal folder.  Seems that the airport is right on the eastern edge of the FTX SoCal region.  Finally, I went to KOPF in the sim and it is decidedly FSX default. 

If you don't own the SoCal region then perhaps there are indeed glitches in the Airport Pack and nothing is wrong on your end.

Greg

39 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Yes.  I just checked my FTX Global folder, and like your system neither KIGM or KOPF are there.  I then searched my system for KIGM, and it IS in the FTX SoCal folder.  Seems that the airport is right on the eastern edge of the FTX SoCal region.  Finally, I went to KOPF in the sim and it is decidedly FSX default. 

If you don't own the SoCal region then perhaps there are indeed glitches in the Airport Pack and nothing is wrong on your end.

Greg

That's too bad.  SoCal has too many performance complaints for me to even try it in FSX.  I don't get great performance in high density cities as it is.  OK thanks.

- Chris

23 hours ago, Orlaam said:

That's too bad.  SoCal has too many performance complaints for me to even try it in FSX.  I don't get great performance in high density cities as it is.  OK thanks.

Who says you have to fly in the "heavy" areas?  There are plenty of places in SCA you can fly into and out of without flying into the LA/Long Beach basin.  I've done it myself many times in FSX--just reduce autogen to normal or dense (at most) and cloud draw distance to 60 miles and you should be ok.  No jetliners, though, nope.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

8 minutes ago, StewartH said:

Who says you have to fly in the "heavy" areas?  There are plenty of places in SCA you can fly into and out of without flying into the LA/Long Beach basin.  I've done it myself many times in FSX--just reduce autogen to normal or dense (at most) and cloud draw distance to 60 miles and you should be ok.  No jetliners, though, nope.

Well, that's the thing.  I fly the PMDG 737 and 744 a lot into LAX, BUR, and SAN, among others.  I'm not even sure the A2A Comanche with GTN 750 would fair so well.  Honestly my autogen, water, clouds, AI, any other things are so low as it is.  DC is also an area that's just a stutter-fest.  I mean it's tolerable but the blurry textures kinda drive me away from areas like that. 

- Chris

21 hours ago, Orlaam said:

Well, that's the thing.  I fly the PMDG 737 and 744 a lot into LAX, BUR, and SAN, among others.  I'm not even sure the A2A Comanche with GTN 750 would fair so well.  Honestly my autogen, water, clouds, AI, any other things are so low as it is.  DC is also an area that's just a stutter-fest.  I mean it's tolerable but the blurry textures kinda drive me away from areas like that. 

Well, I can understand your reluctance to fly those areas in that case.  SCA, and NCA (read KSFO/Bay Area) for that matter, are not kind to jetliner simmers.

• Upvote 1

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"