Sign in to follow this  

Prepar3D V4 + ASV4 + Glider Discus X = Awesome

So I cannot contain my excitement! I have tried gliding in FS many times and it has never lived up to an obscure flight simulator called Condor - The Competition Soaring Simulator. FS has since before Condor been better looking but Condor does a very very very good job of simulating the soaring environment and the competition environment online. If you are a glider pilot you know what I am talking about. And it has frankly had as good a freeware community as FSX within the confines of niche. Really! third party freeware scenery that virtually covers the globe and the community has enhanced the base package to no end.

Now as I said I have never seen gliding simulated so well as it is in Condor but it is simulated far better in V4 with ASV4 and Glider Discus X than I have seen in any previous rendition. Granted it likely has less to do with V4 than it does with ASV4 providing somewhat realistic lift and Glider Discus X in it but lets say that I have achieve a constant 30fps with unlimited frame rate and my display set to 30hz with nearly ALL setting maxed out using nearly 6gb of system mem. Easily enough to OOM the 32bit exe. And that can you imagine in a rural environment in fare weather.

The most interesting thing is that I have never found Glider Discus X instrumentation convincing since I first bought it for FSX several years ago. I always thought the vario behaved very unpredictably and very unrealistically. Granted I might have been shoehorning it into unsupported SIMS but even when I tried it with CumulusX in FSX it never seemed to behave as a RW glider pilot might have expected it to.

This time however I had two very compelling soaring experiences in Glider Discus X lift both thermal and orthographic. I was angling at making a video and I will. But boy oh boy gliding in V4 with VR (where I plan to go) will be awesome!

BTW. I had a really easy time installing Glider Discus X into V4. I simply made a new folder on the desktop called FSX and then copied and pasted the Prepar3d.exe into it and renamed it FSX.exe I than just used the Glider Discus X V1.6 to install it pointed at the FSX.exe. I did let it make any .dlls It worked perfectly. :biggrin:

Is ASV4 active sky v4? 

just started training in a ask21, only about 1.5 hours in so far.. think I like it better than powered flight. have you tried the aerosoft ASK21... if so does it fly anything like the real one? 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Well I have flown a real one but I haven't flown the aerosoft one. But I can still answer your question. No! Its nothing like flying a real one. I don't think that any simulation is like the real one. I would also suggest that while you are in training to fly gliders you might want to avoid sim gliding. Mention it to your instructor and get their input but I would suggest that you should stay away from simulated gliding while you are a student glider pilot. simulated gliding early in the mix is generally considered a bad idea for gliding students. Its OK later on when your real world flight experience is concretized.

And Yes by ASV4 I mean Active Sky for P3D V4

The official name is ASP4 - just fyi.  :)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Do WinchX and CumulusX work with 64 bit P3Dv4? They add so much to the simulation of gliding. CumulusX even models the growing and shrinking of the cloud head and the thermal lean.

Thanks

From the UKVGA website - CumulusX does work in P3D4. See info here

Also Wolfgang Piper has tested his freeware gliders in V4 and some of them work fine (the B21 equipped versions) with a sound fix.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by keithb77
Good news

Winch X does work but contrary to my first post I did not allow it to make a .xml file. I just start it manually. didn't want to take any chances of braking anything. The ridge lift provided by ASP4 was very realistic and the thermals where pretty good but I did observe any ques from the sky or the ground that where clear

Thanks Avidean yes that is the problem with AS16 it doesn't match cumulus cloud with the thermal. CumulusX is the only app at the moment other than Condor that does it properly.

Thanks Tutmeister, the DiscusX and K are great gliders glad they made it across to v4. They work really well in VR.

If you fly these gliders in VR, do it with your back lying flat reclined similar to how you sit in the glider itself it really adds to the immersion and then put the joystick between your legs (oooh).

Yes I intend to pick up used HTC Vive for Christmas for myself. I am going to blow the minds of all my buddies at the gliding clubs with this. Oh, perhaps not, I forgot glider pilots are knuckle-draggers so they don't have any minds to blow! :laugh:

19 hours ago, Avidean said:

Well I have flown a real one but I haven't flown the aerosoft one. But I can still answer your question. No! Its nothing like flying a real one. I don't think that any simulation is like the real one. I would also suggest that while you are in training to fly gliders you might want to avoid sim gliding. Mention it to your instructor and get their input but I would suggest that you should stay away from simulated gliding while you are a student glider pilot. simulated gliding early in the mix is generally considered a bad idea for gliding students. Its OK later on when your real world flight experience is concretized.

And Yes by ASV4 I mean Active Sky for P3D V4

Makes sense to stay away from it in the sim while I am learning. Thanks

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

If you intend on mostly doing ridge soaring, Active Sky is great. Thermals not so much.

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

The best thing about CumulusX is it models thermals/ridge/turbulence pretty well. The worst thing about it is the ugly clouds. But now with PTA mod, we can adjust the cloud brightnesses to make the CumulusX clouds blend into the AS16 clouds better so they are not as ugly as they used to be. Maxime Natural shader with Envtex does a pretty good job I found.