Sign in to follow this  

Prepar3D V4 + ASV4 + Glider Discus X = Awesome

Beautiful depiction of the sky lighting never seen it looking that good before. The virtual cockpit glass is tinted people watching the video might not be aware of that. That is what is good about the Aerosoft ASK21, the cockpit isn't tinted. You could use Accufeel if you aren't already. It works well with the Discus. Wait till you try it in VR!

Hello.

I don't seem to have the computer or the radio working on the Discus in P3DV4, but I see it working in the video.

Any ideas, please?

2 hours ago, Django said:

Hello.

I don't seem to have the computer or the radio working on the Discus in P3DV4, but I see it working in the video.

Any ideas, please?

The radio just needs the following adding to the aircraft.cfg file for the Aerosoft ASK21 or Discus X:

[Radios]
// Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Com.1=1, 0 
Transponder.1=1

There is more in my post on UKVGA, particularly about sounds.

If the above doesn't fix your C4 computer, is the problem the font issue introduced by Windows 10 Creator?

Is the video of a Discus K (which is P3Dv4 native) or a Discus X (which isn't)?
Though I think the K doesn't have a C4 anyway...

Cheers
Keith

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply...

8 hours ago, keithb77 said:

is the problem the font issue introduced by Windows 10 Creator

It could be that, I guess. Something similar happened to AeroSoft's Twin Otter, and there was some fix of finding a font, or something, that I don't remember now.

As this...

[Radios]
// Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Com.1=1, 0 
Transponder.1=1

...didn't work, it does lead me to believe it might be the font issue.

Though I think the K doesn't have a C4 anyway...

Do you mean, as in installed on the panel but not operative (as is the case with me)?

PS: I tried installing the Discus used fonts to the Windows font directory, because I believe that is what fixed the Twin Otter, but now joy on the radio or C4 in the Discus. In any case, I've learned my lesson on Aerosoft products with Win 10, now. Never again.

In any case, I've learned my lesson on Aerosoft products with Win 10, now. Never again

Well...the Discus X was never released for P3D let alone v4, and the Twin Otter P3Dv4 worked fine in Windows 10 for me.

Until Microsoft broke the font installation process maybe....

Does your radio switch on? Does the ATC menu work?  If not it is the CFG problem.

Cheers
Keith

15 hours ago, keithb77 said:

the Discus X was never released for P3D let alone v4

Indeed, I was aware of that, until I saw this post which described how it would work on P3D, and demonstrated it working. But it is not the only problem I'm having. I've gone through numerous posts on how to configure CumulusX to working status on P3D, but apart from it saying it is connected, and not doing the reloading thing every few seconds anymore, I get no thermals and no cloud. I have done the modification of ThermalDescriptions.xml, too.

WinchX, however, does work satisfactorily.

15 hours ago, keithb77 said:

Does your radio switch on? Does the ATC menu work?  If not it is the CFG problem.

Yes, I do get the ATC window, and it works fine.

Thanks for your help!

CumulusX is another issue :)

It's an EXE and a DLL, the DLL is 32bits so will never work on 64bit P3Dv4.
However CuX does work for me with just the EXE - I do get the CuX clouds and I do get thermals.
I don't remember the details but if you can read the UKVGA forum there is a thread there where I discussed it with James and got as far as we could.
Cheers
Keith

Hi Folks,

I've flown an RW ASK21 a few times with an instructor - been wanting to do some soaring but always heard the representation is abysmal in FSX/P3D - this sound promising... Maybe it's time to take a serious look ?

Regards,
Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I tried both, the Discus and the free ASW27 (see the video by Bruno Vassel on you tube), I don't know why, but the Discus is like a brick and the efficiency is respectively 42 and 48, not so different, but with the ASW27 usually I can fly covering great distances. Using ASP4 and ASCA.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

I am just about to broadcast live a flight from ORBX West Wind to Squamish over  ORBX PNW. I know I will have a favourable wind for Orographic life but I have no idea if i'll make it. If I do I expect it will take about 1 hour. I am using Wolfgang Piper's ASG 29 so ill have long legs. I

EDIT: OK so anyone who was watching that sorry to disappoint. once I know I had more than adequate clearance over the rising valley floor I decided I would make a run for it and exceeded VNE and tore the wings off! LOL. It's a pity just a couple of miles to go I decided to show off with a low pass. Don't forget the 2 most dangerous words you will ever here in an aircraft is "watch this" LOL!

More live gliding!

This time in Australia with live weather.

I don't expect to make the destination but you never know:

2 hours ago, newtie said:

Does this work in v4.1?

I suspect it does. I have the DiscusX from aerosoft and I can shoehorn it into V4 no problem. But before you drop the cash check out the freeware gliders by Wolfgang Piper here: https://www.fsglider.de/p_e.htm

Make sure you read the install instructions and get the correct Prepar3D Downloads. He has made a ton of glider for Flight Sim. It takes a little practice to get used to the handling characteristics of gliders. The one in the videos is the ASG-29 which has a glide ratio of 52:1 So you can go a long way without encountering lift. it has a powerful rudder so co-ordinated turns require a deft touch :-)

Hi Avidean-

I discovered that site last night. Exterior models are OK.

How do you like the DiscusX? I saw that at Aerosoft last night as well.

Its OK. I have never flown a real on. When I have a chance I'll compare it to Wolfgang Pipers version. I do anticipate that his version will be more to my liking. I certainly prefer his ASG-29 over the Aerosoft Discus X. I prefer the way the instruments behave.  I don't get a that's weird feeling as much or as often. The thing is ASP4 does not model model thermals very well. When flying gliders its nice to complete the task. I am happy to choose tasks that will be up to 2 hours long so you look for feilds that are about 100km to 200km apart and load up the flight. Along your track you will either need thermals or elevations that are more or less perpendicular to your track. You can get fancy and set the appropriate weather condition but I like to take my chances. I load the flight and if I see Cu i'll give it a shot. Flying the Discus in the past I recall that I always felt anxious because it always looked like I would be below the working band before I would find lift. It always seemed to lose altitude faster than I would have expected and the vario seemed very erratic. I real life you can predict lift based of the behavior of the vario before you hit it. I think that Wolfgang's ASG-29 models this better than the aerosoft discus.

EDIT: I just downloaded Wolfgang Piper's Discus CS which the exact same glider as the Discus B just made by a different company under license.

I'll compare the two and get back to you. It take me a couple of days