Sign in to follow this  

Prepar3D V4 + ASV4 + Glider Discus X = Awesome

OK, I made a visual comparison of the models and the Aerosoft model is quite a bit better looking and more detailed. I like the panel in the Wolfgang Piper version better though. More to come :-)

Can the panel in the Piper version be inserted into the Aerosoft verison?

On 2/1/2018 at 11:48 AM, newtie said:

Can the panel in the Piper version be inserted into the Aerosoft verison?

Not sure if that is possible. Anyway here is my bottom line. The only glider I purchased for FSX was the Aerosoft Discus X. As far as I know there are only 3 other payware gliders available. The Discus K from Aerosoft which has a Prepar3d V4 installer I believe. This is the aerobatics version of the Discus X and I don't think it has the necessary instruments for cross county flying. The others are the ASK-21 which is from the same dev and the Blanik. Those 2 are 2 seaters used mostly for training and have relatively low glide ratios. Of the 4 I would chose the Discus X.

However, given a choice between Discus X and Wolfgang Piper's ASG-29 I would fly the later in real life or the sim and indeed several other of his gliders. They seem to have the flight characteristics one would expect.

If you wanted a project to make a hybrid between the flight dymanics  and instrumentation of one of Wolfgang Piper's Gliders and a glider with better textures I would suggest the DG-808 using the textures from FSX. That is assuming they are better looking than the Piper version.

However if you where to determined to get a payware glider I would go with the Aerosoft Discus X which will install into Prepar3D V4 if you point the installer at it. The caveat is that the you cannot control the Variometer volume in V4 which will be very annoying at the default volume and the canopy tint is to dark and the canopy reflections are to strong. There is a partial fix for the canopy issue.

OK, This time I am going to try San Diego to Catalina in SoCal. All Orbx.

You will be able to see the FPS in the Bottom left. And if you are watching and ask to see the display settings I'll bring them up. Again I am not sure if I can complete this flight. The virtual cockpit in the Wolgang Piper DG-800 looks a lot better than his Discus. however there is no wind direction indicator. I'll have look out for smoke stacks and cloud shadow direction:

It did not look good at the outset but I made it to Catalina. That's what so much fun about gliding. I would wholeheartedly recommend Wolfgang Piper's DG800. The virtual cockpit is easily as good as and better than Aerosofts glider offering.
Gliding in Prepar3D V4.1 with ASP4 cannot really be described as realistic but it is a lot of fun randomly picking days and task and trying to complete based on the look of the clouds and elevation.

One more live stream with unknown outcome. This time in Wolfgang Piper's LS-8. Its only about 60km but we might be able to see London in the distance. This flight would get you the distance leg of an FAI Silver badge but it would be cheating a bit doing it in a high performer like an LS-8. I make it a bit of task by trying to do it very fast. Old Warden to Stapleford ORBX:

If you look up the word thermal in the Oxford English Dictionary you will find that it is used exclusively in the phrase "Thermal underpants" :mellow:

How do you get good thermals flying over the cool water between LA and Catalina?   Doesn't that air subside?

I realize that may not be modelled in the sim, but from a real-world perspective, wouldn't such a flight be pretty dicey?  Or could you get ridge lift from some of those hills on the LA peninsula?   I'm not too well-informed about gliders and would like some insight.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

How do you get good thermals flying over the cool water between LA and Catalina?   Doesn't that air subside?

I realize that may not be modelled in the sim, but from a real-world perspective, wouldn't such a flight be pretty dicey?  Or could you get ridge lift from some of those hills on the LA peninsula?   I'm not too well-informed about gliders and would like some insight.

For a start the lift is not realistic. That said, in reality you would find lift along a coastline because of the convergence of the two air masses with a coastal wind. I don't remember specifically if the lift comes from the warmer air over the land getting pushed up by cooler air coming in from the sea or if the counter intuitive explanation that the stationary air mass over the land acts like a ridge and the cooler air rises up it. The lift along the coast seemed very strong for either of those but I have never experience this kind of lift in RL so I couldn't say. Also there is plan old ridge lift which may come into play here near the beginning of the flight from flying at low altitude flying on the windward side of the elevation. There might have been thermals too. Note that before the turn out over the ocean I had a lot of altitude and I knew it was enough to get me to Catalina without any lift and I don't think I got any and would not have expected it over water. Take look at the instruments I can set a speed to fly and I can see what my altitude will be at the destination. This is called final glide. Look up Macready theory and speed to fly. I was pretty much doing it by the seat of my pants but that comes with experience.