Sign in to follow this  
joepoway

FlywithLua Question ?

Judging from the comments section in the latest blog post, Ben seems stuck on not reducing the default haze, or allowing this as a slider in the main GUI. 

Everyone needs to point out to Laminar -- file a bug report -- that if you set viz to 10 miles in the Weather slider with no clouds, you can't see the runway when loading any plane and any airport with a setup of 10 mile approach, zooming out to try and see the runway.

If the METAR says 10 mile visibility and that's how it's set in the weather menu slider, then we should be able to see the runway through the haze at 10 miles, period. It's broken now, because the haze is too thick.

P.S. ignore the statute to nm conversion between viz units and distance units in the plane. It it isn't important and would be shorter range anyway with the angle offset. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hi Paraffin

Bug Report Send.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

9 hours ago, Paraffin said:

P.S. ignore the statute to nm conversion between viz units and distance units in the plane. It it isn't important and would be shorter range anyway with the angle offset. 

Well, for me it is important when filing a bug report, otherwise who reads the report might explain the issue with the difference between nautical miles and statute miless (a 15% difference is certainly significant).

So, when reporting the bug, it would be better to specify that the visibility is set to 11.5 miles (=10 nm), so that there is not the excuse of the difference between nm and sm.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

6 hours ago, Murmur said:

Well, for me it is important when filing a bug report, otherwise who reads the report might explain the issue with the difference between nautical miles and statute miless (a 15% difference is certainly significant).

So, when reporting the bug, it would be better to specify that the visibility is set to 11.5 miles (=10 nm), so that there is not the excuse of the difference between nm and sm.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to include the conversion, but if we're really trying for accuracy, there is another thing to consider: 

As far as I know, X-Plane calculates "distance to airport" from a point at the center of the airport. Not from the closest runway threshold to the plane, because obviously that distance would be different for every runway approach.

So if you can't even see the runway threshold at 10 sm visibility, which is closer than the center of the airport, then the excessive haze problem is even worse. Especially since the whole point of visibility is "can you see the runway."

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor