Sign in to follow this  
MattS

Autobrake and FSUIPC

Yesterday I installed P3Dv4 hotfix 1, and FSUIPC update 5.103. Today I flew my first flight in the 747 since the updates and all went well until touchdown. I had autobrake 1 selected for landing on WSSS rwy 2C. The autobrakes engaged properly and everything went well until I initiated manual braking, at which time the manual brakes "stuck" on full with the the red brake text displayed in the lower left. The aircraft stopped abruptly on the runway, and couldn't be moved until I disabled the brake button in FSUIPC (I'm using a side joystick for rudder and the brakes are assigned to the trigger button) and then reassigned it. 

This is the second time I've had an issue with FSUIPC following an update. This time, as well as last time, I deleted my FlSUIPC config file and built a new one which has appeared to fix the issue.  

Has anyone else seen issues like this, and is it SOP to delete your config file following an FSUIPC or other update (P3D or PMDG)? 

I think that I'll be doing this from now on. It only takes be 5 minuted to build a new file and it looks like it could save some headaches. 

Just thought it pass this along.

9 minutes ago, MattS said:

Yesterday I installed P3Dv4 hotfix 1, and FSUIPC update 5.103. Today I flew my first flight in the 747 since the updates and all went well until touchdown. I had autobrake 1 selected for landing on WSSS rwy 2C. The autobrakes engaged properly and everything went well until I initiated manual braking, at which time the manual brakes "stuck" on full with the the red brake text displayed in the lower left. The aircraft stopped abruptly on the runway, and couldn't be moved until I disabled the brake button in FSUIPC (I'm using a side joystick for rudder and the brakes are assigned to the trigger button) and then reassigned it. 

This is the second time I've had an issue with FSUIPC following an update. This time, as well as last time, I deleted my FlSUIPC config file and built a new one which has appeared to fix the issue.  

Has anyone else seen issues like this, and is it SOP to delete your config file following an FSUIPC or other update (P3D or PMDG)? 

I think that I'll be doing this from now on. It only takes be 5 minuted to build a new file and it looks like it could save some headaches. 

Just thought it pass this along.

Any chance there's an issue with your joystick?

The joystick functions normally, never had an issue. No issues since rebuilding my FSUIPC config. Also, controllers are disabled in P3D. 

I should note that manual braking did disengage the autobrake, so I its not a PMDG issue. I have a feeling that it was FSUIPC, especially since I unassigned the button and all was fine. Then rebuilt the config file and couldn't reproduce the problem.

Not bashing FSUIPC, I think it is a fantastic piece of software. But, I find it to be somewhat ornery at times. 

10 minutes ago, MattS said:

The joystick functions normally, never had an issue. No issues since rebuilding my FSUIPC config. Also, controllers are disabled in P3D. 

I should note that manual braking did disengage the autobrake, so I its not a PMDG issue. I have a feeling that it was FSUIPC, especially since I unassigned the button and all was fine. Then rebuilt the config file and couldn't reproduce the problem.

Not bashing FSUIPC, I think it is a fantastic piece of software. But, I find it to be somewhat ornery at times. 

Just checking because normally the first problems are either the hardware itself, or the way it's set up. I think since the move to 64 bit, the reliability of FSUIPC has gone down a bit, I think probably because there's had to be significant changes made to the module in order to be compatible.

Agreed. I figured I'd put my situation out there in case anyone else experiences something similar. 

We don't need any unnecessary "bug" accusations against PMDG. 

• Upvote 1

Most of the time, this is an issue in FSUIPC, related to how your brake axis is set up and interpreted.

Kyle Rodgers

I had a similar problem with manual braking after setting up FSUIPC.  When going to manual braking, it was braking so hard I popped all the tires and probably set the wheels on fire!  Stopped on a dime, though!

Problem was I had both fsuipc and default p3d braking mapped to the joystick trigger.  So it's as if it was doubling up on the braking action.  Once I deleted the default p3d mapping, and just set the trigger through fsuipc, now it has been braking fine.

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

I'm not sure if this is related, if not I'll start my own thread, but I've had issues in both the 777 and 747 where the auto brakes are set to RTO and they engage while taxiing.  This is a new issue in p3dv4

dave reage

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

but I've had issues in both the 777 and 747 where the auto brakes are set to RTO and they engage while taxiing.

How fast are you taxiing?

Dan Downs KCRP

Some explanations are needed here:

1.When landing the B747, using the brakes manually WILL disconnect the Autobrakes - that's how it is supposed to work. The idea, for passenger comfort, is to apply just enough brake pressure manually so that the Autobrake disconnects without a sudden lurch.

2. The B747 has HUGE kinetic energy when moving - even at taxi speed. This is why there are 16 wheels with brakes (16 pairs of pads against a sandwich of about 16 to 18 discs in each wheel-pair). When used they dissipate the kinetic energy and are designed to do this at a maximum weight rejected take-off. Tires may deflate (via specially designed fusible plugs - they rarely burst) during this event due to the heat in the brakes dissipating into the wheels and tyres. If you watch at night you will see that the brakes can glow up to white heat.

3. At heavy weights you are recommended not to taxi at high speeds (>20 kts) as this, in itself,builds up heat in the tyres due to rapidl flexing of the tyre walls. At high weights the recommended taxiing technique is to allow the speed to build up to about 18 knots then apply the brakes and slow to about 10 knots,then allow the speed to build again. Again, riding the brakes at a constant taxy speed has been found to increase heat build up by more than the recommended technique.

So, in relation to some of the above comments: not a problem with PMDG, P3D4 OR FSUIPC. That's the way it works. Trying to make an 'early' runway turn-offis not a good idea in a heavy B747. Applying maximum braking in a B747 can result in a nose bleed at lighter weights, if you haven't secured your shoulder harness straps - you have been warned.

BTW I have no answer to the last problem of RTO brakes engaging whilst taxiing. I have a problem right now with full brakes apparently applied in the B747 QOTS II with NO brakes showing as applied. They worked taxiing out, so took off, flew, landed, rolled to a stop on the runway, and stuck! Likethe answer above I deleted the P3D brake axis assigments (even though controls were NOT enabled) and that cleared the problem.

STAY COOL _ STAY SAFE       😎

Edited by roadrabbit149
addition

Intel i9900K @ 3.60 GHz, nVidia RTX 2080i (11 GB RAM onboard),
32 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 1TB SSD, 500 GB SSD, ASUSTek Z390-Plus Mobo
(LGA1151); Running P3Dv5.4, MSFS2020 and XPlane11;