Sign in to follow this  
geolpilot

P3Dv4 MultiMonitor - Undock windows halves frame rate

Make sure you have vertical sync off. 

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:28 AM, geolpilot said:

Not a complaint, but really a heads-up to those concerned about low frame rates in P3DV4, who may be baffled at times, as I was.

Running a 1070 GTX video card, attached to a 4K TV (main screen, set to 30Hz refresh), and a second 21", 60 hz (fixed) Acer 1K monitor. The second, smaller screen I use for monitoring hardware and tasks during tests (MSI Afterburner, ProcExplorer) and for ATC (PF3 or Pilot2ATC) when routine flying. PD3V4 is set internally to VSYNC ON, Triple Buffering ON, Frames Unlimited, and gives me a steady 30FPS with only slight occasional stutter. I run the 4K screen in Full Screen mode.

I was baffled on a recent flight (PMDG 777, VHHH-VTBS), when at about the stage that I requested clearance (PF3), my frame rates exactly halved to 16. I continued on hoping they would improve, but quit at TOC due to the stutterfest.

Restarting the same scenario and stepping through the startup routine again to try to understand at what stage the sudden halving in frame-rate happens, I noticed as soon as I got PF3 connected (open captions on), and undocked the green bar at top of the main screen (I like to have my main screen "clean"), the frames halved. Dock it back to the main screen and frame rates returned to 30.

I have since tested this (which anyone running a multimonitor setup could try) with the standard ATC window. Open it, undock it, and the frame rates will halve (you do not even have to move it across to the other monitor for this to happen). Same if you open a new view and undock it. Also happens in both full screen and windowed mode on the main sim screen.

There are ways to live with this (in PF3 close captions off), and never undock any windows from the main view. But this led me to also wonder if this is due to my setup in any way (mixed resolution and refresh rate setup, is it just a 4K TV "thing" as I am new to 4K), and if so, do the experts know of any work around (maybe some setting I am missing in NVidia Control Panel?). If others are seeing this, perhaps even on 1080TI cards, is it something LM could/should address that requires a support request to them?

Also to warn those with similar setups who may be tearing their hair out over halved frame rates; have you undocked any windows recently?

Rob

I had this problem. Fixed it by making sure Windows game mode and everything related is disabled. I don't recall the steps but I am sure a Google search will turn up an answer.

(I am assuming Windows 10 is your OS.)

Robin

The free downloadable program Panel Store/Panel Restore saves me a lot of time. When all Windows are set up as desired, just go to windowed mode and run the Panel Store exe. Next time just undock the required screens in windowed mode and run the Panel Restore exe. Then go FULL SCREEN and you are ready. Just a few clicks for me to set up my Homecockpit for FSLabs 320X using 3 monitors for 2xPFD 2xND and 2x ECAM.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I solved the problem by going to NVidia control panel (so not the NVidia inspector).

The setting "3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Vertical Sync -> Use the 3D application settings" I changed into: off

In Prepar3d I've put off VSync and changed the FPS to unlimited.

After these changes I had no longer slow FPS after unlocking a popup window in PMDG 737 NGX. I easily get 30-40 FPS in EHAM airport. I have 3 monitors for the outside view and 3 for the controls of which I basically only use one.

• Like 1

Another very useful tip for preventing microstutters which helped me also a lot is the following. In NVidia control panel (so not the NVidia inspector) go to the setting:

3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> 

Go to the P3D profile under 3d settings and make sure that Pre rendered frames is set to 1, not application controlled!

Also be sure to watch the following video on YouTube of user BlackBox711:

Prepar3d V4.1 - PC Settings January 2018

He defined 4 different profiles in P3D. For IFR and VFR flights he uses a different profiles. Very handy!

It seemed to me that the following settings he suggested also improved my FPS considerably:

Dynamic Reflections - Off
Shadow Draw Distance - Low

By the way, don't use the vertical sync settings BlackBox711 suggest in his video in my previous post, because then the undocking problem will persist. :cool:

On 10/2/2017 at 2:59 PM, JoeFackel said:

Undocked instruments are saved with the flight resp. as scenerio. There ist no other way unfortunatly, would love to see when the could be saved with the plane itself.

SmartStarter will solve that for you.

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

Why on earth do you bump up a 10 months old thread ? You must have found it at page 50+ .. 

If only you had made a new topic 🤨

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 6/28/2017 at 11:49 PM, geolpilot said:

Thanks to @cowaptz for the link to Joe's post, and to Vic for highlighting that he did not have the problem despite having a 4K + second monitor setup. All got me thinking!

No I am not currently using an external frame rate limiter - but I was using NVI up until Monday when the P3D4 HF came out. NVI caused my P3D4 HF install to fail on load ("bad stub error" message - something like that). So I deleted the NVI directory, rebooted and got going with P3DV4 using only Nvidia Control Panel settings, with internal VSYNC, triple buffering and unlimited frames set. But before the HF installation I had set unlimited frames internally, no VSYNC, no triple buffering, and limited frames externally to 30 with NVI! Joe's post linked by cowaptz and Vic not seeing this problem led me to think that the NVI external frame rate limiter was "lurking" somewhere - probably written into the Nvidia Control Panel settings, but not listed under Nvidia Control Panel Prepar3D profile. In hindsight I "took out" NVI the wrong way!

So I opened up Nvidia Control Panel, and in 3D settings I reset the Prepar3D profile to factory. Then I only changed the Prepard3D profile performance to "Prefer Maximum Performance", saved and exited. Start up P3D and problem solved! Can now open any window and undock without halving frame rates! Tried undocking default ATC, a "new view" window, and the PMDG 747 FMC. Pretty solid at around 30fps in all cases even if the undocked window was moved to the smaller monitor.

So thanks to all who responded! To Shivers9, though not using an external frame rate limiter, did you use/try it in the past and maybe not reset the Nividia Prepar3D profile? Maybe give it a try.

Of course the downside is it seems this problem may well surface for those who do use an external frame rate limiter (Vic's experience seems to suggest internal frame rate limiter is OK). May want to keep this in mind if you suddenly get an otherwise inexplicable halving of frame rate.

Rob

Glad to hear you’ve fixed it and that my old post helped!

Joe

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

You can save and restore undocked panels with this:

http://www.casawave.fr/upload/fsx/Panel_Position.zip

to save you have to go to windowed mode alt enter and run as admin. Then you can restore easily on multiple screen setup pressing restore, only need to undock the windows in for example Pmdg.

Also with multiple monitors: For me worked Vsync off Tripple buffering off FPS unlimited in sim. 

I also plugged one screen in the onboard card of my pc for PFD. Eicas en ND via GeForce 1070 

Edited by rob0203

Edit: I only read first page of this thread but anyway maybe somebody will be helped with the info!