Sign in to follow this  
Noel

What is the practical implications for P3DV4 for NOT using Win 10?

Hi, 

Some point fairly soon I'm putting together a new box since my old box had a mobo failure I'm pretty certain.  I have a copy of Win 7 I can use.  What is expected downside of NOT using Win 10 as it related to P3D V4?  Win 7 has been flawless for P3D V3 for me and as to 'security updates' going away for Win 7 it may be irrelevant because my P3D V4 install will never be used for anything except P3D V4 and its addons--no web browsing, no email, no MS Office, etc.  This is how my V3 install was for 4.3y and I never had to reinstall the OS the entire time so I'd like to continue this practice.  I understand DX12 isn't used for V4.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I would imagine using win 7 would be just fine if it is a standalone Sim rig.  Although it has been my experience that with the right configuration of privacy settings and a registry tweak to stop automatic updates, win 10 provides lower overhead and a near flawless platform for p3d.  

If you are going to get 7xxx family cpu get ready for issues with Windows 7 updates. Updates for win7 on CabbyLake are not supported. Also I tried to use win 7 with my new rig with 7600k and MSI Z 270 chipset MoBo I got multiple bugs with usb controllers drivers -plugging my saitek x52pro(and some other devices) caused  immediate pc  hung. After installing win10 - no issues at all.

I tried a dual boot with Win 10 just for P3Dv4 and this is my observation

1) V4 ran like a dog in win 10. It ran well under Win 7.

2) my dual boot turned to be a night mare. I installed win 10 in second SSD. Thought I could share my scenery folders across the two OS. Not a good idea. It would not access the folders in Wun 19 and asked me to give permission to each of the folders which I did. and then after rebootting it messed up my bootrecord and I could only boot via Win7 but my scenery folders (security status) were all messed up went into a CHKDSK and updated the security to all my files to basics.. It removed user (me)'s access and it took 24 hours doing it..  I let it run until it finished. Then I copied that entire scenery disk to a new HD swapped it out. Luckily I was able to recover all my scenery files.  (This is not a win 10 issue...but the fact that Win 10 deons't play well with Win 7 caught me off guard. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

You may be relegated to an older processor because Intel and Microsoft have conspired to push us forward so there will be no chipset drivers or processor support backwards compatible for Windows 7. 

Edit : Chips and boards beyond 6700K I should say.

3 hours ago, Slayer said:

You may be relegated to an older processor because Intel and Microsoft have conspired to push us forward so there will be no chipset drivers or processor support backwards compatible for Windows 7. 

Edit : Chips and boards beyond 6700K I should say.

i9-7900X and Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0is supported by drivers for Windows 10, 8.1 and 7, but I see the ASUS X299 Deluxe for this CPU does not support Windows 7, so this applies already.  I have Win 10 in Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro and I'm not impressed in any way shape or form.  But I don't use it much and don't know what its real pluses are for me if any.  I'm sending my 4.3 y/o ASUS P979X WS to ASUS to see if they can fix it in which I'm back in the game w/ minor fanfare after my system died a few days ago until the next part succombs and by then hopefully there will be better information about SkylakeX.  It would be a helluva lot of $$ saved and time and hassle over building a new system w/ dual boot reinstall of everything.  I'm amazed and discouraged by how much more cooling has become an issue w/ the latest processors--seems to fly in the face of what I would have expected by 2017 what with more efficient designs.   And then they use non-soldered TIM?  Hard to fathom!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I beleve the IHS is soldered on in Skylake X. Not sure about it on the Kabylake for X299 though. I imagine it will be paste because it's cheaper.

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I beleve the IHS is soldered on in Skylake X. Not sure about it on the Kabylake for X299 though. I imagine it will be paste because it's cheaper.

Well it sure ought to be.  When you push all cores anywhere near 4.6Ghz you start seeing giant increases in wattage, up to 400, and with it killer temps and so throttling.  If you have anything on where your belief came from please share!

Noel