Hello!

I currently have a GTX780 and I was thinking of potentially upgrading tot he 10 serries. Should I upgrade to the 1070 or 1080? Also, bu upgrading to either, will I see a difference in P3DV4? 

Thanks!

Clem

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

The 2070 and 2080 should be out later this year if u can wait.  If not the 1080 would be my choice.

Matt Wilson

Always pick the best you can afford, especially with all the new developments, GPU and video memory, cant be big enough. So, get a 1080, or if you can afford a 1080ti, with 8GB memory or more

Cheers!

Maarten

3 hours ago, Le Français said:

Hello!

I currently have a GTX780 and I was thinking of potentially upgrading tot he 10 serries. Should I upgrade to the 1070 or 1080? 

Hi Clem, I am moving from a 780 to a 1070 tonight and will post weigh-in when I can. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

The prices on 1070's are crazy right now, miners are buying up cards like there's no tomorrow.  How much did you pay for yours if I may ask?

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Ended up getting a 1080 for $550USD. Installed it last night and fired it up. I am pretty impressed with the difference in the hour of so I messed around with both sims.

I tested out v4 with the TFDi 717. My aim in testing was to see where the limit of this card exists. It's been documented that in v4 shadows and lighting are where the GPU "earns it's pay" so I maxed them out. I also enabled 4K textures with High res ticked. 8x MSAA, LOD slider full right tess - max, Mesh & terrain, 5cm and 15cm respectively. Scenery density extreme. Autogen at custom 45km draw distance. Both AG at dense. Water at Ultra. AI set at 58% airliners, 20% GA. Road traffic at 8%, Boats at 100% 

In v4 at JFK, looking towards the city (FSDT JFK and DD NYCv2), I avg frames between 22-30. 

At FSDT LAX, I am locked at 30 when at the terminal looking towards downtown.

In v3, I tested it with the FSL A320 at FT Copenhagen and FSDT LAX. I have settings commensurate with staying under the VAS limit, but was impressed with how quick to react the sim was.  Frames were pegged at 28 - 30 regardless of where I looked. 

Overall, the experience feels smoother and I notice I am hardly waiting for complex visual areas to load. (I used to get black buildings for a second or two with the 780) 

In v4 I will likely revert to my original settings to maintain a stutter free flight, but I am happy with my purchase. While the 780 is by no means, a weak card, it was starting to show it's age and this was a worthwhile upgrade. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

2 hours ago, ZLA Steve said:

Ended up getting a 1080 for $550USD. Installed it last night and fired it up. I am pretty impressed with the difference in the hour of so I messed around with both sims.

I tested out v4 with the TFDi 717. My aim in testing was to see where the limit of this card exists. It's been documented that in v4 shadows and lighting are where the GPU "earns it's pay" so I maxed them out. I also enabled 4K textures with High res ticked. 8x MSAA, LOD slider full right tess - max, Mesh & terrain, 5cm and 15cm respectively. Scenery density extreme. Autogen at custom 45km draw distance. Both AG at dense. Water at Ultra. AI set at 58% airliners, 20% GA. Road traffic at 8%, Boats at 100% 

In v4 at JFK, looking towards the city (FSDT JFK and DD NYCv2), I avg frames between 22-30. 

At FSDT LAX, I am locked at 30 when at the terminal looking towards downtown.

In v3, I tested it with the FSL A320 at FT Copenhagen and FSDT LAX. I have settings commensurate with staying under the VAS limit, but was impressed with how quick to react the sim was.  Frames were pegged at 28 - 30 regardless of where I looked. 

Overall, the experience feels smoother and I notice I am hardly waiting for complex visual areas to load. (I used to get black buildings for a second or two with the 780) 

In v4 I will likely revert to my original settings to maintain a stutter free flight, but I am happy with my purchase. While the 780 is by no means, a weak card, it was starting to show it's age and this was a worthwhile upgrade. 

Cheers Steve! Appreciate the feedback.

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case