Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

New v4 experience.

Apparently this was in 3 as well? Anyway, setting location as tower controller with maxed out scenery and loads of real ai is great fun. Used chase plane to move around with an xbox controller.

Then decided to try VR. WOW! loads of fun!

Put my rift on and was walking around the tower looking out of the windows and watching everything coming and going and taxying around. Was great to actually be able to walk around the room and look out of the windows and see the screens and chairs etc. Some of the radar displays are even interactive and show live traffic!

My sim has become a plane spotter sim now!

Chris

• Upvote 2

Thanks Chris VR is great because we can use our imagination in the sim again. Question for you. I got the impression you are using Chase plane in VR is that right? Didn't think it could do that. Maybe it can with native P3D VR?

I love spotting. Add in AI Controller for accurate SID/STAR following and you'll get nice AI spacing. I've spent over 30 minutes just watching traffic do it's thing and not become bored. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

I'm about to bust to tell everyone what I discovered... A great VR experience for $300.   I ordered a Pimax 4k and it arrived about 2 weeks ago, and I am really happy with it.  The higher resolution screen takes out the screen door affect, and because we are using a simulator and not a high action program I do not notice that it is not at 90hz as the Oculus and Vive demand.

I am VERY happy with it in Prepar3d v3 with FlyInside.  Prepar3d v4 is not so good, with a bunch of shaking and juddering.  I'm hoping FlyInside can fix that when they get their v4 version out, but I already started tinkering with Vorpx to see if I can get some of that v4 joy.  I fly almost exclusively with photoscenery and v4 has a beautifully realistic view much further away from the aircraft as well as under it.  And with the latest hotfix v4 is running smoother than I've ever seen, mission accomplished.  I just wish I could see that in VR!

I cannot say enough what a difference the experience is in VR.  Pimax has the resolution necessary to allow me to read the panels clearly and have a worthwhile view of the distance from the cockpit.  There are some issues, and I have been whining about them on their forum, the greatest being I think they shipped me myopic lenses.  But in spite of the fact it has given me an unimpeded immersion experience of flight that I haven't come close to before, even with a high res phone in a Gear VR.    If  you want to fly inside of Prepar3d and really feel like you're in the cockpit it is the first product out there that is acceptable.  For $300 on Gearbest if you are patient for one of their very frequent sales or find a code.  It also works with Oculus and RIft games. 

Hi glider

I was using chase plane in 2d with an Xbox controller to walk around.

In vr I was walking around. Not sure chase plane works with vr, I haven't had any luck with it anyway.

Chris

The Controller mode is incredible. It's a cross between the old Just Flight Control Tower "aircraft" and A2A's map mode, only a whole lot better.

The things hanging around on the desks  (Microsoft FS mouse pads, etc.) in the VC mode are pretty funny also. Someone at LM had a good time authoring this mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8ilciinx76nkhd/CYVR Tower Mode.bmp

On 6/28/2017 at 5:20 PM, denali said:

If  you want to fly inside of Prepar3d and really feel like you're in the cockpit it is the first product out there that is acceptable.  

Looking forward to reading more about this.  

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, denali said:

I'm about to bust to tell everyone what I discovered... A great VR experience for $300.   I ordered a Pimax 4k and it arrived about 2 weeks ago, and I am really happy with it.  The higher resolution screen takes out the screen door affect, and because we are using a simulator and not a high action program I do not notice that it is not at 90hz as the Oculus and Vive demand.

I am VERY happy with it in Prepar3d v3 with FlyInside.  Prepar3d v4 is not so good, with a bunch of shaking and juddering.  I'm hoping FlyInside can fix that when they get their v4 version out, but I already started tinkering with Vorpx to see if I can get some of that v4 joy.  I fly almost exclusively with photoscenery and v4 has a beautifully realistic view much further away from the aircraft as well as under it.  And with the latest hotfix v4 is running smoother than I've ever seen, mission accomplished.  I just wish I could see that in VR!

I cannot say enough what a difference the experience is in VR.  Pimax has the resolution necessary to allow me to read the panels clearly and have a worthwhile view of the distance from the cockpit.  There are some issues, and I have been whining about them on their forum, the greatest being I think they shipped me myopic lenses.  But in spite of the fact it has given me an unimpeded immersion experience of flight that I haven't come close to before, even with a high res phone in a Gear VR.    If  you want to fly inside of Prepar3d and really feel like you're in the cockpit it is the first product out there that is acceptable.  For $300 on Gearbest if you are patient for one of their very frequent sales or find a code.  It also works with Oculus and RIft games. 

Thanks for that had no idea 4k VR was even possible.

On 7/8/2017 at 4:07 AM, glider1 said:

Thanks for that had no idea 4k VR was even possible.

To be clear, it's not a 4k VR.  Pimax display is 4k, but it has an HDMI 1.4b connection, which is only capable of 4k at 30hz, and it is not used.  Instead they upconvert the signal from 2.5k or 1440x2560, which is still much higher than Oculus or Vive, but because of the screen being at 4k there is no SDE, screen door effect.   

Also, I have learned that I received through a shipping mixup the Pimax BE, Business Edition, which they don't sell to the public usually.  It has a 2.5k OLED display and can work up to 90hz (120 as well)  But the software is not supporting those speeds.  Pimax seems to be experiencing some growing pains.   They say they have corrected the order issues, but be aware my review is on the Business Edition version, which is $450.  I paid $330, and you can probably find it for purchase, but at the higher price.   I am still very happy with the BE.   Users of the 4k say that as it is an LCD screen there is a little bit of "ghosting" in action or quick movement, and the brightness is not the same as OLED, but amazing picture quality with no SDE discernable.   There is debate whether the BE or the CV Pimax is better.    But for flight simulation, which Pimax claims is their target market, both models are better than anything else out there currently, especially at that price.  Online Reviews are excellent for simulators, flying and driving.  

Another issue I have is the lens is blurry in the middle of the view, which would be appropriate for a Chinese/Asian user, as their vision statistically tends to be more myopic than in the west.  I am going to mod it with a mod I found on the pimax forum.  But for now I've been wearing 1.5x readers to compensate.

9 hours ago, denali said:

To be clear, it's not a 4k VR

Thanks denali for sharing your experiences. You are one of the first to try this in flight simulation and enjoy pioneering! VR is getting more complicated. It sounds like the Chinese are evolving the technology right now and are making mistakes as they go.