Sign in to follow this  
Saucey12

flying the P-51, engine blowing up (steam edition)

Hey guys I need your help does anyone have any experience flying the P-51?  I have tried numerous times and every time I do I have the engine literally start blowing up on me not long after takeoff.  Here's the scenario:  I always chose the realism settings level on "hard" .  never have any other problem with any of the other aircraft.  I follow the procedures during start up and takeoff according to the checklist.  When I change the realism settings to "easy" I do not have the engine blow up on me shortly after takeoff.  This problem has me frustrated and excited at the same time because I know eventually I will find the solution (I just hope it doesnt turn out to be a program flaw with that aircraft).  Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong if I follow procedure and still have this issue? Again it is the P-51 steam edition and its not an add-on nor do I have any add-on programs installed on the system.  

If you mean one of the default racing Mustangs which come with the sim, check out the FSX learning centre etc. The racing version of the Mustang simulates a highly tuned Reno Racer, and they have some fancy engine mods including a special Anti Detonation Injection tank (basically water injection to improve performance), but you have to know how all that stuff works to use it, and that info is in the learning centre bit of FSX.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Absolutely read the P51 - (Flying) section (Racing Operations) in the FSX learning Center.  

As Chock has said, the answer is in there, but needs to be read and understood. The FSX Racing P51 has a highly tuned temperature sensitive modified engine, manifold boost pressure is critical, so that you don't have your pistons rods and valves flying in all directions independent of the aircraft. ADI will lessen the detonation risk but be aware the water/alcohol injector tank supply is not unlimited. CTRL+x (toggle) or flip ADI switch on the panel will prevent such full throttle engine explosions, but only while the ADInjection fluid remains.

I really appreciate the tip guys!  That totally explains it and I missed that portion of the learning center when I was in a hurry to search for the results.  I really wish they would have included an edition of the stock version of the p-51.  ill search for that one elsewhere.  

Again thanks!

Saucey12,

If you like a freeware P51 - you can't go past Warwick Carter's (Civilian P51D Mustang) FS2004 version2. Available here in the AVSIM library. https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=p51dver2_203586.zip&Author=Warwick+Carter&CatID=root 

It fly's and looks great in FSX. I've tried it myself this morning, It uses supercharger instead of the ADInjection.

To install into FSX: run the .exe and install it (browse to) a temp folder  you create, named P51D-WC  after click installer has completed then create a blank Thumbnail.jpg for each texture folder.  Then Copy or cut/paste the P51D-WC folder to your Simobjects\Airplanes folder, there are no effects to copy even though the readme says there should be.
Open your sim, scroll to near the bottom of aircraft selection you will see 6 blank thumbnails for the aircraft (North American P51D), you can take a pic in sim to create with (MSpaint) your own thumbnail for each paint.

There's no doubt A2A and Warbirdsim  Payware P51's are of top quality, but try Warwick's free one first.

Cheers Jethro

11 hours ago, Jethro said:

Saucey12,

If you like a freeware P51 - you can't go past Warwick Carter's (Civilian P51D Mustang) FS2004 version2. Available here in the AVSIM library. https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=p51dver2_203586.zip&Author=Warwick+Carter&CatID=root 

It fly's and looks great in FSX. I've tried it myself this morning, It uses supercharger instead of the ADInjection.

To install into FSX: run the .exe and install it (browse to) a temp folder  you create, named P51D-WC  after click installer has completed then create a blank Thumbnail.jpg for each texture folder.  Then Copy or cut/paste the P51D-WC folder to your Simobjects\Airplanes folder, there are no effects to copy even though the readme says there should be.
Open your sim, scroll to near the bottom of aircraft selection you will see 6 blank thumbnails for the aircraft (North American P51D), you can take a pic in sim to create with (MSpaint) your own thumbnail for each paint.

There's no doubt A2A and Warbirdsim  Payware P51's are of top quality, but try Warwick's free one first.

Cheers Jethro

I will for sure give it a try Jethro!  This will be my first download and install so I hope it goes smoothly.  

Hi Saucey12,

Your very first, Ooooh I hope my instruction was clear enough, its a relatively simple process, but the Thumbnail.jpg depicting each of the 6 aircraft is a normal extra task when using FS2004 aircraft in FSX.
FS2004 did not need these Thumbnail.jpg's but FSX aircraft selection does (or otherwise shows a default .jpg placeholder with a ?).  Not having the thumbnail does not affect the selection of each aircraft or the display of the model in the FSX sim. The only caveat I can foresee would be if you are using DX10 as I don't know if this model is DX10 compatible, if it isn't compatible the aircraft will most likely not have a texture but show as plane white.

If you have any issues, by all means ask, I'll do my best to help.:smile:

Thank you Jethro I will sure ask you, I appreciate it.  I am still trying to figure out all of what DX10 entails.  I currently do not have that enabled in my settings. 

5 hours ago, Saucey12 said:

I am still trying to figure out all of what DX10 entails.  I currently do not have that enabled in my settings. 

If you decide to go for DX10, to avoid scenery and texture problems you should get Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer. Highly recommended as it not only fixes the DX10 problems Microsoft didn't, but also gives you very realistic cockpit shadows with the option of cloud shadows from another small add-on. Make sure that the basic DX10 preview works before buying the fixer. See https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/features/ for the basic features. There are also many new, useful options in the setup program.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

ok great thanks!  I currently have not experienced any scenery or texture issues.  I just want more scenery! lol.  I am in the process of getting on here and playing around when time permits.  By the way I have gotten that p-51 racing modification with the adi system downpat.  Its a touchy beast but fun once you get the hang of it.  Flying it on the "hard" difficulty isnt for everyone I'm sure.