Sign in to follow this  
StamPilot

Are lights in P3D v.4 the same as Shockvawe lights?

Just wanted to ask those who already own P3D v4. Are the lights effects there (i.e. the way lights look when it is a foggy or rainy weather, the effects like Shockvawe 3D lights have been giving to FSX)  look realistic, better than in default FSX? Do they look the same as FSX with Shockvawe Redux?  Or we still need to wait till some addon like Shockvawe is released? I do not meen here the way lights actually LIGHT ground and objects, this feature is available inP3D v.4.. 

It really is apples-and-oranges...

To my knowledge, the lighting and lights in Prepar3D V4 is actual light sources. Shockwave lights (and lighting in FSX and previous P3D) is still textures and/or effects. They don't illuminate anything.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

The A2a c182 at Auckland Int

bAG60qF.png

34 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

It really is apples-and-oranges...

To my knowledge, the lighting and lights in Prepar3D V4 is actual light sources. Shockwave lights (and lighting in FSX and previous P3D) is still textures and/or effects. They doesn't illuminate anything.

Anders, thank you for reply.  And are those light sources in P3D sufficient enough for simmer to be happy with the look? Or we need to add some effects like Shockwave to be absolutely happy? 

IMO I think it looks absolutely amazing! Mostly because the lighting is dynamic. I hope they optimize performance in time but right now, it looks very nice!

@onebob - what sim is that picture from?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Yes! I agree but with ai traffic navigation lights. Those big circles are not realist. :)

I must disagree with Anders. I have shockwave lights in FSX and now have P3Dv4 but the lights, strobes etc reallu are back to basics in my opinion. Especially once you got to like shockwave.

Lighting in P3DV4 is awesome but aircraft lights still need shockwave.

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

27 minutes ago, phmcr said:

I must disagree with Anders. I have shockwave lights in FSX and now have P3Dv4 but the lights, strobes etc reallu are back to basics in my opinion. Especially once you got to like shockwave.

Lighting in P3DV4 is awesome but aircraft lights still need shockwave.

I like them. IMO they look realistic - AND they're actual light sources! It makes a world of difference in my personal opinion. It's a personal preference. I think the Shockwave lights are a bit overdone and exaggerated.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

1 hour ago, StamPilot said:

And are those light sources in P3D sufficient enough for simmer to be happy with the look? Or we need to add some effects like Shockwave to be absolutely happy? 

Haha, I'm so looking forward to the day when simmers will be absolutely happy. :gaul:

I agree with Anders, I like the new lights. They illuminate things nicely.

• Upvote 2

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

I agree P3DV4 lighting is a major improvement over any previous version including shockwave. My UT AI aircraft taxi and takeoff lights now illuminate the ground nicely, particularly the taxi light, very subtle.

I guess developers will only improve on it more as time goes on. But for now LM is off to a great start.

• Upvote 1

Now we only need the clouds to be susceptible to the dynamic lighting... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

3 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

IMO I think it looks absolutely amazing! Mostly because the lighting is dynamic. I hope they optimize performance in time but right now, it looks very nice!

@onebob - what sim is that picture from?

Prepar3D V4 HF1 with Dynamic lighting on.  poor visibility FTX New Zealand.  (too foggy to take off)

0qcbH9P.png

Amazing! Didn't know it was volumetric in poor visibility

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Providing a developer has done all the work with stuff, the P3D lights can look really cool. They are a bit more sophisticated than Shockwave lights, but you need plenty of the P3D FPS-hungry options ticked to get the best out of them. Here's the iFly 737 with them lighting up some parked aeroplanes and vehicles in P3D V4 at UK2000's EGGP: One thing I did notice about the lights on the iFly 737 with that dynamic malarkey going on, is the wingtip nav lights actually illuminate the outer edges of the flap canoes on the underside of its wings, which is subtle, but it does indicate the kind of thing that dynamic lighting achieves.

10_zpsqgrsfhga.png

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Chock said:

the wingtip nav lights actually illuminate the outer edges of the flap canoes on the underside of its wings, which is subtle, but it does indicate the kind of thing that dynamic lighting achieves.

Alan, that is one of the neat features. For years I've had to create custom .fx files that would sort-of-kind-of produce the colored 'ground light splash' under the nav lights via a trial and error process...

...lots of trials with eventual success!

Now it is totally automatic. Thanks L-M!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator