Sign in to follow this  
Sartanius

Same Startup State Loads for All Variants

I know this topic was discussed a couple years ago in the B777 forum (link), but the solutions given require several extra steps to get the loaded aircraft into the state you want to start your scenario.

I like to start pax variants with a modified startup state I created for a short turn at a gate, and conversely, startup a cargo variant on a ramp location with cargo loaders, stairs/power/lavatory AI attached to simulate loading activities ongoing when I arrive at the aircraft.  Because there's only one "747QOTSII_Options" config file in the "PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II" directory, then whatever is set as the StartupPanelState in the config file will be used for all variants, pax and cargo.

Would be nice if each variant could have a startup state designated by the user so the variant  (pax or cargo) starts up initially with it's own unique state, without the need to fiddle with the CDU to change the state after the sim starts.  I know this is a 1st world problem, but it is a "quality of life" enhancement that would make for a better experience, IMHO.

Would love to see this enhancement added down the road.  Or, if I'm missing something obvious, please let me know.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

There is a separation between B747 global settings and aircraft specific settings.  Notice there is an ini file for each installed tail number in the C:\P3D\P3Dv4\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II\Aircraft folder.  This separation is intentional because in reality aircraft do vary by tail number whereas a global setting such as IRS alignment time is more of a "this is how I want to interact with it" global setting.

Additionally, each time you load a session you are loading a panel state.   Either a default panel state, if loading from the set up flight or scenario screen, or a panel state saved with the flight or scenario if loading a previously saved flight, or a panel state you have set as the startup state in the PMDG Options (Introduction pg 72).  I think between the global settings, aircraft specific settings and panel state files you can find a method that suits your taste.

Dan Downs KCRP

What he is talking about, at least from what I gather, anyway, is having separate default panel states for passenger and freighter variants. As it is now, you can only have one for all variants, and then you'd have to load another panel state separately.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I guess the only solution to this would be to create the start up states you want for each aircraft and name it after that variant, then just load the aircraft with default panel state then load your custom one.

24 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

I guess the only solution to this would be to create the start up states you want for each aircraft and name it after that variant, then just load the aircraft with default panel state then load your custom one.

Based on his initial post, it sounds like this is what he is trying to avoid having to do, but unfortunately, I don't believe there is another way around it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

5 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

What he is talking about, at least from what I gather, anyway, is having separate default panel states for passenger and freighter variants. As it is now, you can only have one for all variants, and then you'd have to load another panel state separately.

Yep, Kevin... that's precisely what I'm saying.  Dan Downs' post above clearly lays out the possibilities available to us with the current state of P3D and PMDG products, but I'm not sure I can achieve what I'm try to accomplish with those options.

2 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

That's right, Chris.  But, that's the immersion breaker I'm trying to avoid.  If I want to load a B744/F at KMIA Cargo Ramp 4 with all the service vehicles attached and cargo doors open, but have to first load a default state, then use the CDU to initiate the ultimate state I'm striving for, then it breaks the immersion. 

Please understand that this ISN'T a big deal to me and I can live with it.  My point is, if the feature could be added it would improve the experience and reduce the steps required to achieve the desired startup state without extra fiddling.

However, I do have a workaround that nearly achieves what I'd like to have happen.  Check out this thread I started in Oct 2015, and then updated today to reveal a workaround someone posted on LM's Prepar3D forum.  Using this *.fxml file workaround, I can accomplish almost exactly what I desire.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

6 hours ago, dmiannay said:

However, I do have a workaround that nearly achieves what I'd like to have happen.  Check out this thread I started in Oct 2015, and then updated today to reveal a workaround someone posted on LM's Prepar3D forum.  Using this *.fxml file workaround, I can accomplish almost exactly what I desire.

Of course, if you're running FSX, this wouldn't work, in which case you're flogged.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

4 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Of course, if you're running FSX, this wouldn't work, in which case you're flogged.

Flogged indeed.  Although there's nothing at all "wrong" with FSX, I left it behind when I learned about Prepar3D.  I recently retired from Lockheed after 35 years in the aeronautical training business and, during that time, worked a bit with the segment of Lockheed that "owns" Prepar3D.  Supporting Prepar3D felt like the right thing to do since my own company was developing it (and it was free to me as an employee - no brainer).  I had many, many great years with FSX, and FS9 before that, etc, but I'm hanging with Prepar3D for now.  

Back on topic... the workaround I mentioned does indeed work fine, so I'm a happy camper.  Thanks for weighing-in, Kevin.

Doug Miannay

13 hours ago, dmiannay said:

If I want to load a B744/F at KMIA Cargo Ramp 4 with all the service vehicles attached and cargo doors open, but have to first load a default state, then use the CDU to initiate the ultimate state I'm striving for, then it breaks the immersion. 

My approach is to build up a library of saved scenarios, such as a freighter at KMIA, in a turn around condition.  For example my Delta B744 will have scenarios saved at KLAX, YSSY, KATL and KMSY.  Each time I load a saved scenario I reset the date/time to what I want to start this session and review all the settings to make sure I didn't do something like leave the xpndr turned on, and save the scenario to keep it "fresh."  When I land and shut down at the ramp or gate then I save that scenario for later use.  One ends up selecting a gate or stand not based on Flightaware but where you already have saved scenarios and after shutdown and securing you simple update that.  I had quite a list in P3Dv3, and I often would say "What am I going to fly today?" to be answered by sorting the list of saved scenarios by date and picking the oldest.

There are ways to accomplish what you want.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the reply, Dan.  Yes, this is a lot like what I used to do prior to P3Dv3 when I could double-click a save scenario .FXML file and P3D loaded up to the "Prepar3D Scenario" screen where I'd set the date and time, then off I'd go.  Once in the sim, no fiddling necessary, I was where I intended to be at the correct time, and cockpit preparation got underway.

Since P3Dv3/v4 broke the .FXML double-click capability for my PMDG products, the only way to load a scenario with a PMDG aircraft is from the "Prepar3D Scenario" screen, and there's no way to set the date and time.  The saved scenario will load with the date/time that existed when you saved the scenario.  Then, you set the correct date/time in the sim, and off you go, which is what I believe you are describing.

What you offer is certainly a workable solution, and I completely understand and accept it.  It really did work perfectly prior to P3Dv3 when you just needed to double-click an .FXML file from your desktop and after 30 seconds, voila, you were ready to go.  Sure do hope that gets fixed.

I fear I may sound a little OCD to folks, but anything that eliminates key presses or mouse-clicks is a plus in my book.

Thanks again for your responses!

Doug Miannay

35 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

I fear I may sound a little OCD to folks, but anything that eliminates key presses or mouse-clicks is a plus in my book.

Anybody that spends as much time on this hobby as I do has to be both retired and OCD.  Understand.  For me setting the date/time is an advantage because I like to start a session about 30 min before pushback on a flight that is starting at least several hours earlier than current time, which allows me to use time compression during the flight and not get ahead of current time.  This timing allows me to use AS16 in historical mode slaved to the simulation time and the weather will remain the same as the actual flight.  Once you get ahead of current time, AS16 simply gives you current time.  I will simulate flights that started up to 24 hrs earlier, a limitation that PFPX imposes on me, thus having to reset the date/time is just a part of my work flow.

By the way, my first exposure to a simulator was at McChord AFB circa 1972 in a Link Lockheed C-141 Starlifter simulator.  The analog computer that drove it was in a large room by itself and the windshield was simply frosted to simulate IMC.  I'm forever in love with Lockheed transports.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Anybody that spends as much time on this hobby as I do has to be both retired and OCD.  Understand.  For me setting the date/time is an advantage because I like to start a session about 30 min before pushback on a flight that is starting at least several hours earlier than current time, which allows me to use time compression during the flight and not get ahead of current time.  This timing allows me to use AS16 in historical mode slaved to the simulation time and the weather will remain the same as the actual flight.  Once you get ahead of current time, AS16 simply gives you current time.  I will simulate flights that started up to 24 hrs earlier, a limitation that PFPX imposes on me, thus having to reset the date/time is just a part of my work flow.

Ok, you win! :)  I thought I was "procedural to a fault", but you may have just taken the cake.  I, too, simulate actual flights within the past 24 hours (PFPX limit), or leaving in the next 30 minutes or so, but I don't use the AS16 historical weather feature.  When I do current flights, I like to follow along using LiveATC so I can "feel like I'm there".  So many excellent things we can add to our sessions these days to help the experience feel almost as real as it gets.

2 hours ago, downscc said:

By the way, my first exposure to a simulator was at McChord AFB circa 1972 in a Link Lockheed C-141 Starlifter simulator.  The analog computer that drove it was in a large room by itself and the windshield was simply frosted to simulate IMC.  I'm forever in love with Lockheed transports.

How cool is that!  One of my team's at Lockheed was tasked with providing maintenance and aircrew training solutions to customers from around the world.  Everything from computer based training to all-up Level-D full flight simulators.  It was a great joy working with the latest and greatest in state of the art simulation technology... I definitely miss it.  Prepar3D helps me stay as close as possible.  And yes, I also love Lockheed transports (and fighters).  They kept food on the table, helped raise a family, and put two girls through college.  Great products, indeed.

Doug Miannay

Hi Doug,

I was in contact with the support team for the same matter, suggesting the possibility to either be able to have different startup panel states for different variants or the possibility to be able to choose which panel state we would use before lauching the sim in order to avoid to hassle of reselecting a different panel state once the aircraft is loaded in the sim.
Paul, one of the guy of the supporting team answered me: "I will make the suggestion to the team to look into but I don't know if it is possible to implement without causing additional issues."

It was mid-may this year. Let's cross the fingers. :happy:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

2 hours ago, Budbud said:

Let's cross the fingers. :happy:

I'm with you on that, Romain!

Doug Miannay

I realise this is very late and may not be seen but Thank You! I had been trying to figure out the exact same things (who RTFM anyway:laugh:).

Yes, it would be great if we could set the Startup Panel State by type or even for individual aircraft! However I created a Panel State that I am happy with and now (because I had NEVER looked in the zzzOptions.ini file I can at least have my aircraft in a state that I want and is closer to reality:biggrin:

Cheers

Harry

Cheers

John Harris

P3D v4, Win10 64bit, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Saitek Multi Panel, Saitek Switch Panel, Saitek Radio Panel, Saitek FIP