Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Poll On which version of P3D forum members are using

Which P3D version are you using  

349 members have voted

1. 1. Thought it would be interesting to see what P3D version people are using at present

• Using only version 4
    • Using version 4 mostly, but still use version 3.X
    • Have installed version 4, but using mostly 3.X
    • Have not installed version 4, using Version 3 .X only
    • Using Version 2.X
    • Using version 1.X

It's so polished. I haven't been so pleased with a release since CoF. As soon as the NGX is released I'll be in heaven and it just going to get better from there.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

On 6/30/2017 at 7:12 PM, ddawson said:

Now that they have it, I suspect most will never look back

Exactly . Never. Ever.  Had enough of monitoring VAS and adjusting each flight to make sure I dont OOM all these past years.   Had a taste of 64bit with XPX. Why should we have to worry about those kinds of things in 2017 anyway and with very capable hardware. What a feeling to do this for whats available now in P3D.  Look forward to more of our favorites made compatible and what devs can do without a VAS restriction and taking advantage of V4s features. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

It's the same old story since the early days of FS9 - FSX. You must adapt the sim to your hardware

That is not going to happen with me, Vic. If I decide to purchase P3D v4, I will have to adapt my hardware to suit the simulator. Reduced settings are not an option.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

That is not going to happen with me, Vic. If I decide to purchase P3D v4, I will have to adapt my hardware to suit the simulator. Reduced settings are not an option.

I have most of my sliders, since I got a new GPU, almost all the way to the right and getting good FPS. Move to V4, and a new PC will most likely be required. Frankly, from what I have read, and what I am seeing now with 3.4, I can't justify  investing $1,500 for some minimal improvement. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 6/30/2017 at 10:57 AM, OzWhitey said:

Without overstating the statistical significance of this poll, it does fit with what my guess would be - the vast majoirty are either flying v4, or have installed it and are flying it along with v3, depending on their specific needs.

This is not a true statistical poll, you will need at least 2000 respondents.  This poll only means that the vast majority of those who frequent this forum is on V4.  The poll miss one category: people who have tried V4, saw no benefits and uninstalled it, asked for refund!  :anonymose:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

17 hours ago, Noel said:

So that sounds like V4 is not hitting your VRAM very much relative to what I've read here from Rob I think it was.  What's the maximum VRAM you've seen used on your 6Gb card any time while running V4 if you will?  And what LOD setting have you configured, or other aspects of demand on VRAM?  Monitor?

I have an legacy GTX Titan 6Gb but V3 hits it pretty hard NOT in terms of VRAM at all, but in terms of pushing GPU-dependent sliders, so I'm going to upgrade to 1080Ti or what have you.   

Maximum LOD is 6.5, but... you can use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP which efectively increase your LOD, texture quality respectively. And that is what Rob was talking about. Default is 8, my P3Dv4 uses around 3GB with 4k resolution, With TSE=9 it is 4GB, WEth TSE=10 is is 8GB and propably some RAM is used too (I have only 8GB card), but you can't see how many shared RAM GPU use (it will be in next W10 update).

So if you do not go to TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, then you are fine with 4GB adn 4k resolution. But visual quality with TSE is really great. Even set to 9 is huge difference with previous version. No more blurry textures close to aircraft! Reason why I stop using v3, it is terrible with comparsion to v4.

VRAM requirements based on 4K monitors (or triple screens) will be excessive when compared to the vast majority of users. What is the situation with high detail settings @ 1920x1080 resolution? I can't imagine that anyone would need more than 6GB VRAM at that resolution.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

53 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

VRAM requirements based on 4K monitors (or triple screens) will be excessive when compared to the vast majority of users. What is the situation with high detail settings @ 1920x1080 resolution? I can't imagine that anyone would need more than 6GB VRAM at that resolution.

Chris, my 980ti was easily able to handle VRAM requirements as well as pretty much any P3D settings at 1900x1200...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

15 hours ago, Jiri Kocman said:

Maximum LOD is 6.5, but... you can use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP which efectively increase your LOD, texture quality respectively. And that is what Rob was talking about. Default is 8, my P3Dv4 uses around 3GB with 4k resolution, With TSE=9 it is 4GB, WEth TSE=10 is is 8GB and propably some RAM is used too (I have only 8GB card), but you can't see how many shared RAM GPU use (it will be in next W10 update).

So if you do not go to TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, then you are fine with 4GB adn 4k resolution. But visual quality with TSE is really great. Even set to 9 is huge difference with previous version. No more blurry textures close to aircraft! Reason why I stop using v3, it is terrible with comparsion to v4.

Great thanks, I look forward to it, V4 that is, at some point.  I use a 3440x1440 and have 6Gb of VRAM.  Even at this monitor resolution would I be limited to TSE=9?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Mr grumpy 😡 signing in 😁

Using v4 only loving the stability of it compared to v3. 

But after 3 weeks of long haul in the 744 and 772 I'd really like that fsl to be released.  

Other than that v4 rocks using converted ut2 models its the best version yet 

14ppkc-6.png

Having stated that I am sticking to v3 at the moment......I suffered an OOM last night before my PMDG 737NGX @ EGLC London City scenario had even completed loading!! Admittedly, this was after loading a saved startup for the 737NGX, then switching to London City airport, and then changing the time of day. Nevertheless, it was a gentle reminder that VAS issues are annoying :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 hours ago, Noel said:

Great thanks, I look forward to it, V4 that is, at some point.  I use a 3440x1440 and have 6Gb of VRAM.  Even at this monitor resolution would I be limited to TSE=9?

Resolution have very low impact for VRAM in comparsion to texture size... with default lowest textures are 256, with TSE=9 are 512, with TSE=10 it uses 1024 ground textures "everywhere". For TSE=9 6GB is enough, FOR 10 it is not. But missing VRAM will be shared from RAM = performance loss

On 4. 7. 2017 at 2:59 PM, Christopher Low said:

Higher resolution do not need too much more memory. High quality textures is something what have significant impact for VRAM. Not resolution.

1GB VRAM for FHD used do not mean that in 4k you need 4GB.. maybe 1.5GB...