Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

Recommended graphic card for P3Dv4

Hi,

I've got this Nivida GTX 970 graphic card. Will it be recommended to upgrade to GTX1060 6 GB or "bigger" ?

BR Lars 

33 minutes ago, larshgf said:

Hi,

I've got this Nivida GTX 970 graphic card. Will it be recommended to upgrade to GTX1060 6 GB or "bigger" ?

BR Lars 

Upgrading from a 970 u would want at least a 1070.   

Matt Wilson

I'm interested in this as well. My budget fits a GTX1070 but if found a GTX1080 for $500 SC. Most people say I must have a titan but that's leaping another 200-300.  What is the consensus if I got from a GTX970 to a 1070 or a 1080SC? 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Good luck finding a GTX 1070 at an affordable price at the moment. I wanted to replace my dead GTX 650ti SC with a 1070 but with all this mess with cryptocurrency mining prices are out of control. 

I was lucky enough to get a GTX 1060 6gb for just under $300 on Amazon earlier this week. But my budget was $400. If you have a budget of around $500, look around and maybe you can find a GTX 1080 around that price. DON'T pay $500 for a GTX 1070...that gpu normally sells for around $380-$400.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

I think people should hold off on a new video card for at least a year.  I have a 970 and it works ok with v4.  I really think we don't know what we will need now given that developers are just porting over software.  We will only find out down the road when new stuff is made for v4 and takes full advantage of it.

• Upvote 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

5 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I think people should hold off on a new video card for at least a year.  I have a 970 and it works ok with v4.  I really think we don't know what we will need now given that developers are just porting over software.  We will only find out down the road when new stuff is made for v4 and takes full advantage of it.

Interesting point...never thought of it that way. I bought a new card because I had no choice...the gpu in my machine is dead.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

I found a GTX1080 for $500 finding a 1070 for around $350-475. 

50 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

Good luck finding a GTX 1070 at an affordable price at the moment. I wanted to replace my dead GTX 650ti SC with a 1070 but with all this mess with cryptocurrency mining prices are out of control. 

I was lucky enough to get a GTX 1060 6gb for just under $300 on Amazon earlier this week. But my budget was $400. If you have a budget of around $500, look around and maybe you can find a GTX 1080 around that price. DON'T pay $500 for a GTX 1070...that gpu normally sells for around $380-$400.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Guest JustanotherPilot

I upgraded my GTX970 to the GTX1060 and am really happy with the performance improvement...in v3.4 and v4. Budgetary constraints only allowed me the 3gb version but I think the 6gb would have been a better move. - such is life.

I wouldn't move up until you can get a 1070 or maybe a used 1080. You need the VRAM.

look for a deal on a used GTX 1080ti. That's what I am going to do soon. The last 2 GPU 's I bought where bought used. a GTX 780 and a GTX 980ti. I got great deals on bought and they worked perfectly. For V4 1080ti is I think a no brainer

Who the heck would have a used Ti lol?  Some rich dude I guess.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

I think that depends on what "people" have...  if it's around that sure, maybe. If not it's definitely worth to upgrade...

What ever you have, you'll always want more.....my first 3D Accelerator was a Sierra Screamin' 3D.  Only games written to take advantage of it at the time were Quake I and Descent.  And that thing ran alongside your regular video card.  But that was back in the 90 MHZ CPU days (which by the way, was awesome at the time!).

I bought a NVIDIA 1050 a few months ago to try to get just one more year of life out of this system before building an all new one from scratch with next year's tax refund.  This 1050 does OK, but wish I would have gone a little farther - but I needed something that didn't need extra power plugs and fit in 1 PCI Express Slot.   Plus, I'm pretty much CPU bound as it is.

Next spring I'll recon' I'll survey the market again and see what's available.

Mark

48 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Who the heck would have a used Ti lol?  Some rich dude I guess.

You would be surprised. If you look at buy and sell sites you can find good deals. I was recently looking at getting a HTC VIVE and I can tell you that here in Toronto you are looking at $1200 to $1400 CAD new. Used about $800 CAD. I looked a craigslist in the US  and found many for about $400. I was going to drive to buffalo and get one but decided not to on that occasion. But when the timing is right and I am taking a trip to the US I will look for one and 1080ti and bring them back with me. It will probably be soon and I expect to save a few hundred $$$ over what I would pay here.